Bend, Oregon?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParanoidAndroid

OBS Chief
I'm dreaming/thinking/considering a trip to Bend using the bus from Chemult. What are some fun things to do around town besides the Deschutes River and the nearby Pilot Butte? I won't have a car then, so I can't go far outside of town.

By the way, does Chemult have anything to do in it?

Sorry no one has answered your question yet. The new setup on the website makes it difficult to spot newly-started questions/topics, if they didn't get an answer right away.

Nope nothing to do in Chemult -- there is a Ranger District office for the Deschutes National Forest, a truck stop, and the Amtrak station. Best to head for Bend, as the shuttle is only waiting for the train to arrive, and the next one is +/- 12 hours. You might find the Cascades East Transit website to be handy. Weekend service is pretty limited, but you can get around easily on weekdays. I see they have a shuttle to Mt. Bachelor as well, if you ski (downhill, cross-county, or just to go and see the mountains).

Bend is famous for the number of microbreweries in town. If you like beer, it's heaven. Lots of tours. The Old Mill District is a shopping, dining and arts center with several outdoor stores, including REI Coop. Simply Mac has been very helpful to us for our Apple devices. Frequent concerts in summer at the Les Schwab Amphitheater. If it's winter you're talking about, McMenamins has live music, movies etc (warning: the schedule is for all their locations, so use the drop-down "filter by location" to choose "Old St. Francis School"). There is also shopping and dining in the old downtown, on Wall and Bond Street (some really nice junkue/antique stores on Bond and cross-streets), and across the Deschutes River (nice walk through Drake Park). Make sure while you are there, that you walk up Pilot Butte and check out the views.

I don't live in Bend, but it's the nearest "real" city to where I live, so I go there at least a couple of times per year. Feel free to ask more questions, and if I don't have the answer, I'll ask friends who do live there.

Back