Silver Meteor vs. Flat Bed Truck in Palatka 11/8/18

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
According to police reports a flatbed track stopped on a grade crossing in Palatka, when the gates came down for Amtrak 97 Silver Meteor from New York. The train collided with the truck that was illegally occupying the crossing. There were some injuries on the train. It is still an evolving situation.

Photos can be found at: The Putnam Way

And a news report: https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/local/amtrak-train-semi-truck-collide-in-palatka-162-people-on-board-4-taken-to-hospital/77-612633639?fbclid=IwAR323hFnuNSKYzmDglicffMc9M7Pw3Mh9xqicawbQ1yMiTvEQ7xLSR8IQsE

Last edited by a moderator:
Argh. It really feels like Amtrak has had an usually high amount of significant grade crossing collisions lately. I'm probably wrong but I feel like I'm hearing about incidents like this every couple days.  :unsure:

Argh. It really feels like Amtrak has had an usually high amount of significant grade crossing collisions lately. I'm probably wrong but I feel like I'm hearing about incidents like this every couple days.  :unsure:

Not really.  There hasn't really been a time when this hasn't been the case.  Grade crossing incidents are a weekly (if not more frequent) occurrence for Amtrak, regardless of whether or not they get reported.

I am on 98 heading towards Palatka.  I heard that the accident scene is still active and my guess is that it is single tracked there.  98 has been running early, but possibly not for long.

I heard from my SCA that the conductors and engineer on the train on which I am now traveling were the same ones that were involved in the incident last week (3 miles away).

I am on 98 heading towards Palatka.  I heard that the accident scene is still active and my guess is that it is single tracked there.  98 has been running early, but possibly not for long.

I heard from my SCA that the conductors and engineer on the train on which I am now traveling were the same ones that were involved in the incident last week (3 miles away).
That's a rough week for the engineer. Uffa. 

We are south of Palatka now.  97 just passed us (while we were stopped).  The damaged engine was on the rear end.  I heard that it will be dropped in Sanford.

Deadheading on 97 was a sleeper and 2 (most likely) new dining cars.  I could not see the names of the dining cars.  Sorry.  

We are south of Palatka now.  97 just passed us (while we were stopped).  The damaged engine was on the rear end.  I heard that it will be dropped in Sanford.
Deadheading on 97 was a sleeper and 2 (most likely) new dining cars.  I could not see the names of the dining cars.  Sorry.  
The dining car’s are Dover & Frankfort

Back