coach between Toledo and Tampa?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Hello, planning a round trip from Toledo to Tampa in FEB. I am 62 and was thinking of just coach ticket for trip any thoughts ? Thanks

It can be done and will be comfortable enough, but I'd still recommend that you check sleeper prices and consider an upgrade. If you can only do it one way do it on the return;  it would be quite a letdown if you tried it the other way.

This depends a lot on what you can personally handle and put up with an overnight trip. Can you deal with sleeping upright next to a stranger in a possibly smelly and/or noisy car? And have you looked at prices for sleepers? Because IMO, if you can afford a sleeper, absolutely go for it because they are definitely vastly better than coach. But of course if you can't afford that, it's coach no matter what. Point is, what can you handle, what are your options, and what can you afford?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Smelly" and "loud" overstates things at least 80% of the time. (Not, unfortunately, the other 20%...here's hoping you don't hit the jackpot.) But upgrading to sleeper service on an Amtrak train is likely to make more of a difference in your enjoyment of the trip than any comparable upgrade on any other form of transportation. On an airliner, first class vs. coach is just marginal on anything less than an international flight. On Amtrak, a sleeper changes the experience completely.

On an airliner, first class vs. coach is just marginal on anything less than an international flight. On Amtrak, a sleeper changes the experience completely.
If you have long legs there is a HUGE difference between basic coach class and first class, even for domestic flights. It's true that Amtrak coach has lots of legroom but somehow the seat design manages to be even less comfortable aircraft coach seats.  I'm not sure what exactly is wrong, but even though I can sleep for at least a few hours on most long haul flights I cannot seem to find a way to sleep at all in Amtrak coach.  :(

Welcome Roy!

My thoughts are that I would take a sleeper.  I used to sit up in coach on trains to Florida when I was a teenager, but I find even five-hour redeye flights in first-class to be a challenge now.  Sleeping car rooms on Amtrak can be expensive, but it is possible to find low fares if you are flexible, plan in advance, and / or travel during off-peak times.

If your travel dates are flexible I recommend using AmSnag...  http://biketrain.x10.mx/amsnag2.0/amSnag.php  ...to find the cheapest travel dates in blocks of dates as long as 30 days.  Just used it to find one-way fares from Toledo to Tampa:

•  Coach all the Way $161 any day for one adult

•  Roomette all the way $497 to $557 depending on the date of travel.

Let AmSnag be your friend!

If you have long legs there is a HUGE difference between basic coach class and first class, even for domestic flights. It's true that Amtrak coach has lots of legroom but somehow the seat design manages to be even less comfortable aircraft coach seats.  I'm not sure what exactly is wrong, but even though I can sleep for at least a few hours on most long haul flights I cannot seem to find a way to sleep at all in Amtrak coach.  :(
"Smelly" and "loud" overstates things at least 80% of the time. (Not, unfortunately, the other 20%...here's hoping you don't hit the jackpot.) But upgrading to sleeper service on an Amtrak train is likely to make more of a difference in your enjoyment of the trip than any comparable upgrade on any other form of transportation. On an airliner, first class vs. coach is just marginal on anything less than an international flight. On Amtrak, a sleeper changes the experience completely.
I defer to your experience. Most of my airline flying was done in the '80s and very early '90s when I was in the Navy and Merchant Marine. I was upgraded to first class exactly one time, and that for a 90 minute flight. Since 9/11 I have taken only two trips by air: A round trip IAH-ORF (Houston-Norfolk) in a single seat on an ERJ regional jet for a Navy reunion in 2009 and a one way return FCA-SEA-IAH (Kalispell/Whitefish-Seattle-Houston) on an ATR-42 and 737 (with a three day layover in Seattle) while returning from a HOS-LAX-SEA-WFH Amtrak trip in 2014. My takeaway has been to avoid all airlines to the extent possible.

I am a bit over 62, and I would not travel that distance in coach, unless I absolutely had to do so.  However, there are members of AU that are my age and regularly travel in coach.  It is a personal decision.  Your decision may depend on how well you sleep sitting up, how tolerant you are to noise (such as snoring), how comfortable you are sitting next to and sleeping next to a stranger, how comfortable you are sharing a restroom with many strangers, etc.

At these prices I will drive and get a nice room two nights and save money............Wife and I are taking Amtrak to Yellowstone in June with Roomette..........Thanks

If your travel dates are flexible I recommend using AmSnag...  http://biketrain.x10.mx/amsnag2.0/amSnag.php  ...to find the cheapest travel dates in blocks of dates as long as 30 days.  Just used it to find one-way fares from Toledo to Tampa:

•  Coach all the Way $161 any day for one adult

•  Roomette all the way $497 to $557 depending on the date of travel.

Let AmSnag be your friend!
Cost would likely be substantially less for roomette on only one train, coach on the other.

Since we board in CLE, we have similar experience on trips to Fla.  As mentioned above, you may want to opt for a combination coach/sleeper to save some money. If money is not a major factor, I would take the roomette the entire trip. 

Otherwise, I would do coach from TOL to WAS since it is a quicker overnight trip. Get a good nap in on the day you leave and you will be fine for one night.   Then take a roomette from WAS to TPA, a longer ride and a chance for a decent sleep before you depart in Tampa.  

On the return trip, I would do roomette from TPA to WAS.   Coach from WAS to TOL is doable since you leave WAS around 4 and arrive in TOL by 5am. 

I am also 62. I find I can tolerate one night in coach; I awaken often enough that by the second night I'm pretty sleep deprived and not enjoying myself very much. One option to consider is an overnight in WAS - it would be less expensive than a sleeper upgrade.

Since we board in CLE, we have similar experience on trips to Fla.  As mentioned above, you may want to opt for a combination coach/sleeper to save some money. If money is not a major factor, I would take the roomette the entire trip. 

Otherwise, I would do coach from TOL to WAS since it is a quicker overnight trip. Get a good nap in on the day you leave and you will be fine for one night.   Then take a roomette from WAS to TPA, a longer ride and a chance for a decent sleep before you depart in Tampa.  

On the return trip, I would do roomette from TPA to WAS.   Coach from WAS to TOL is doable since you leave WAS around 4 and arrive in TOL by 5am. 
How do I book a split trip like that?

First, check Amsnag for your best price(s). Knowledge is power. Write down your complete proposed itinerary (dates, times, train numbers, type of accommodations, etc.) and pricing so you can be sure to recite it accurately to the agent on the phone.

Then, call 800-USA-RAIL and carefully explain exactly what you want to do. Be sure he or she repeats back to you exactly what your reservations entail. You could do this online, but it's a bit convoluted in my opinion. Some agents are very competent. Some, not so much. If you draw one of the latter (you should be able to "tell" early in the convo), excuse yourself, call back, try again.

To do this yourself on-line, on a trip with more than one train, you scroll through the types of sleeping accommodations and select "reserved coach seat" for the train on which you want to sit in coach. 

It's easy and you don't have to do anything special. On the booking page when you select the trains you're taking, you can easily choose different accommodations for each leg. You don't need to call Amtrak or get a special ticket.

To do this yourself on-line, on a trip with more than one train, you scroll through the types of sleeping accommodations and select "reserved coach seat" for the train on which you want to sit in coach. 
 . You beat me to it.

First, check Amsnag for your best price(s). Knowledge is power. Write down your complete proposed itinerary (dates, times, train numbers, type of accommodations, etc.) and pricing so you can be sure to recite it accurately to the agent on the phone.

Then, call 800-USA-RAIL and carefully explain exactly what you want to do. Be sure he or she repeats back to you exactly what your reservations entail. You could do this online, but it's a bit convoluted in my opinion. Some agents are very competent. Some, not so much. If you draw one of the latter (you should be able to "tell" early in the convo), excuse yourself, call back, try again.
Nope. You don't have to do anything like that. Just go through Arrow as you normally would and then change the accommodation from a sleeper to coach for that leg. Easy peasy.

If one can afford it, the roomette is just such a nicer and relaxing way to travel. My wife and I have had it with I 95 and just enjoy the travel on the Silver Meteor.

If one can afford it, the roomette is just such a nicer and relaxing way to travel. My wife and I have had it with I 95 and just enjoy the travel on the Silver Meteor.
Agreed. On a two-night trip such as you propose, having a roomette on at least one leg (preferably the longest leg) will really make a difference if you can swing it.

Nothing is more uncomfortable than sharing a seat with a stranger overnight. If you were guaranteed two seats to yourself overnight Coach would be semi tolerable. If you can afford it a sleeper is the way to go

One addition. As others have mentioned if you can break up the trip. Boarding in Toledo if on time you will get on around Midnight. Maybe a roomette to Pittsburgh, Coach to DC,sleeper from DC to Jacksonville,Coach to Tampa. This way you have a sleeper on the two overnights. You will probably be on the Silver Star which does not have a diner so if you book early enough a roomette would be under $200.

Back