3 Points/Dollar: AGR Mastercard Purchases (ended 12/31/18)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRR 60

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
All purchases made with the Bank of America AGR Mastercard with transaction dates between 11/5 and 12/31/18 will receive 3 AGR points per dollar. All cardholders are automatically activated for this offer.

AGR Holiday Offer

Dang, my medical bills are paid off and my car repairs.
default_sad.png

There truly is a Santa Claus, should we compliment Mr. Anderson? I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin!!!! 

Who would make the decision to run an AGR Promo,such as this?

Thanx

Dang! Had a two week vacation with several hotels, food, etc. last month...that would have been nice.

Well, I did get 2 points per dollar on the hotels as it was.

Still, the three points until the end of the year will be nice.

YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ok, I’m done. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
All purchases made with the Bank of America AGR Mastercard with transaction dates between 11/5 and 12/31/18 will receive 3 AGR points per dollar. All cardholders are automatically activated for this offer.

AGR Holiday Offer
Kinda mis-leading... the banner on the page says "Earn 3X Points" while the fine print does say 3 points per dollar. 3X points (9 for Amtrak travel; 6 for other travel) would really be nice!

Kinda mis-leading... the banner on the page says "Earn 3X Points" while the fine print does say 3 points per dollar. 3X points (9 for Amtrak travel; 6 for other travel) would really be nice!
It is sort of phrased in an odd way in the fine print as well:

Earn 3 points per dollar (consisting of 1 base point and 2 bonus points) for all Net Purchase transactions 
At first I read that as saying that you get 2 bonus points on top of what you'd already get, so I thought it meant 3 points/dollar on non-travel purchases, 4 points/dollar on travel-but-not-Amtrak purchases, and 5 points/dollar for Amtrak purchases. Why doesn't it just say 3 points per dollar, total, for any purchase?

It is sort of phrased in an odd way in the fine print as well:

At first I read that as saying that you get 2 bonus points on top of what you'd already get, so I thought it meant 3 points/dollar on non-travel purchases, 4 points/dollar on travel-but-not-Amtrak purchases, and 5 points/dollar for Amtrak purchases. Why doesn't it just say 3 points per dollar, total, for any purchase?
1 base point and 1 or 2 bonus points (for a total of 2 or 3 points) is how it posts now (prior to this promo) on my AGR account web page.

Unfortunately, the 7th is the cutoff for my BofA Amtrak card.  I'm about to buy tix WNL-PHL RT, so I'll have to wait another month to find out if I got 3, 5 or 6 points per dollar purchase.  NUTS!

This is amazing! I wonder why I wasn't sent anything? I will definitely be switching some category usage over from other cards (eg, my Amazon card gives 2% at gas stations and drug stores) to the Amtrak card.

I only wish it had happened before I paid the balance on my new roof last month... would have given me an additional 17k points.

This is amazing! I wonder why I wasn't sent anything?
I'm wondering the same thing.  Perhaps they didn't have someone available to compose and create a mass emailing?  Or else, we'll get it a week or two after the fact...just like the monthly 'AGR point balance statements'

This began November 5th
I m travelling Amtrak through the 15th I paid for this trip with my card two months ago so I got triple points for Amtrak travel and it is still during Double Days. This is the first bit of positive news since Anderson became CEO Time to buy stuff.

Paid for cruise fares which provided extra points for travel..hotels, etc before the Nov 5 date and then more after that.  May get that extra Amtrak trip this year after all.  :p

But if it began on the 5th, what good is telling you on the 8th? I bought things on the 6th, but used another card because I didn’t know of this promotion.

i use to get a monthly newsletter with my cable bill where I lived before. In the October newsletter it may have had “On 10/6” or “20% off the 10/13 show”. Trouble is that the October statement comes on 10/25!

It was mentioned in the November AGR eNewsletter that was received yesterday. (11/8).
Yes, I saw that but the eStatement  is mostly a sum up of your month plus other marketing that is similar month-to-month. I'd have thought they'd send out something that big as its own email, like they do Double Days. For many people, this will be much, much bigger than DD, so I am still surprised.

Yes, I saw that but the eStatement  is mostly a sum up of your month plus other marketing that is similar month-to-month. I'd have thought they'd send out something that big as its own email, like they do Double Days. For many people, this will be much, much bigger than DD, so I am still surprised.
I usually disregard the whole thing as I've usually made a couple of trips since the end of the month before I get their monthly eStatement.  But after seeing PRR 60s' remark about it  being on the monthly statement, I went back to the 'trash' folder and there it was, buried in a less than 2x2 box was the 3x points deal.  Perhaps someone at AGR is thinking they have to pay by the 'column inch' like newspapers for internet advertising?

One question I have is: who is paying for the extra points?  BofA or Amtrak AGR?  They're basically 'giving away money' and as everyone knows, it doesn't grow on trees or come out of color laser printers (without going to jail).  So, exactly whose money is paying for it?  If you consider that Amazon, Walmart and other major retailers are now offering FREE shipping on everything for the holidays, and now with 'free' extra points, it would seem the retailers are far more 'eager' this year to get everyones' shopping dollars than previous years.  The extra-early 'black Friday' sales is another indicator that the retailers are all 'hungry' for your money.  So maybe they're the ones paying BofA?  Or are they simply looking for everyone to run up a balance they can't pay off each month and BofA gets the interest?

And I wish I'd seen this...my weekend in Atlanta would have gone on that card.

Ah, well...I'll be dumping everything else I can onto it (in a drive for the remaining TQPs I can get on my card).

Good deal. I put everything I can, rent excepted, on my card. And with Christmas coming up, that will mean that much more in points. And perfect timing as I intend to, right after the first of the year, line up a Spokane-Seattle-Chicago round trip via the EB, CS, and CZ. 

Also, just a note: Alaska Airlines has a buy points promotion going on right now (the cost-per-point is about $0.0198 after taxes at the highest purchasing level), so this actually makes pumping something like that worthwhile (since you'll walk away with enough AGR points generated to either pull a gift card, at $0.03 in value, back or get AGR travel for more).  So this is...er...broken.

Back