Location of sleepers on Capitol Limited's rump consist?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulM

Engineer
I'm planning to go from the Midwest to Florida in mid January.  Does anyone have advanced notice where the sleepers will be locating on the Capitol Limited's rump consist? Three years ago (2016) the only thing separating me from the horn was another bedroom; and it made me think I was a fool for not flying.  Two years ago (2017) I inquired of Amtrak and was told the sleepers would be in the rear.  So I booked, no problem.  A search found an AU thread that seemed to say they were back in the front for 2018.

So, any predictions for 2019?

I'm planning to go from the Midwest to Florida in mid January.  Does anyone have advanced notice where the sleepers will be locating on the Capitol Limited's rump consist? Three years ago (2016) the only thing separating me from the horn was another bedroom; and it made me think I was a fool for not flying.  Two years ago (2017) I inquired of Amtrak and was told the sleepers would be in the rear.  So I booked, no problem.  A search found an AU thread that seemed to say they were back in the front for 2018.
So, any predictions for 2019?
Sleepers on 29 were in the front when I rode in July 2018.

Whoever changed the title missed the point.  I wrongly took for granted everyone knew what I meant by rump consist in January.

In 2016 it was single engine, two sleepers, diner, lounge, coach, coach-bag.

In 2017 it was single engine, coach-bag, coach, diner, lounge, two sleepers.

In the past it didn't go into effect until a week or so into January and lasted at least a month.  So the normal consist in October or July was not what I was looking for.

Whoever changed the title missed the point.  I wrongly took for granted everyone knew what I meant by rump consist in January.
Sorry Paul.  Your original title did not mention the Capitol Limited at all and it did not describe your question (which appeared to be misleading).  I just edited to add rump consist.  Let us know if you have a better title that will alert members to what you are asking.

Sorry Paul.  Your original title did not mention the Capitol Limited at all and it did not describe your question (which appeared to be misleading).  I just edited to add rump consist.  Let us know if you have a better title that will alert members to what you are asking.
Looks fine now. 

I guess I was being sarcastic.  No diner on one of the choices to Florida, a cheesy consist, contemporary food,  baggage service dumped at two of my Florida stops - Sebring and Hollywood - and at stations I frequently use - FMD, MTP, LMY, threat to cancel a train I frequently use - SW Chief.  I used to enjoy planning trips; now it's just depressing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the winter  "rump" consist Feb of 2018 and was in the first sleeper.  The horn was very noticeable.  I cannot recall the car number in the consist but I'm guessing other posters will have that information.  With that information you may be able to modify your reservation to the second sleeper where I found the horn noise to be less onerous.  

Looks fine now. 

I guess I was being sarcastic.  No diner on one of the choices to Florida, a cheesy consist, contemporary food,  baggage service dumped at two of my Florida stops - Sebring and Hollywood - and at stations I frequently use - FMD, MTP, LMY, threat to cancel a train I frequently use - SW Chief.  I used to enjoy planning trips; now it's just depressing.
Just so you know, you can now change the topic title yourself. :)

I'm slow getting back; but you can marked this one as answered..  I did the unmentionable and booked a flight from Quincy, IL to Orlando changing in Chicago, only my second domestic flight in 25 years.  $125 plus baggage.

Back