30-42 connection in Pittsburgh

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I’ll be making this connection for the first time next week. Looking forward to it because the last time I was on the route of the Pennsylvanian was actually on the Three Rivers westbound in 2003. I don’t remember much of it in terms of scenery, and Horseshoe Curve was at night.

Anyway, just curious if Business Class on 42 is still on Amfleet 1 equipment, and does anyone recommend a place near the station in PIT to grab some coffee or something to kill some time? I see there’s a Starbucks near, wondering if there are any better local options.

Thanks!

I’ll be making this connection for the first time next week. Looking forward to it because the last time I was on the route of the Pennsylvanian was actually on the Three Rivers westbound in 2003. I don’t remember much of it in terms of scenery, and Horseshoe Curve was at night.

Anyway, just curious if Business Class on 42 is still on Amfleet 1 equipment, and does anyone recommend a place near the station in PIT to grab some coffee or something to kill some time? I see there’s a Starbucks near, wondering if there are any better local options.

Thanks!
Business Class is still an AM-I, so I would honestly recommend going for an Amfleet II coach. Bigger windows, nicer seats, and a cheaper ticket. JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on how much time you have between trains at Pittsburgh. 

I haven't made that connection in a couple of years due to the necessity to be an early riser.  But every time I've made the connection, I was always worried when I woke up that we'd be late by more than a few minutes and the Pennsylvanian would be gone.  I've read a number of threads on various forums that since the Pennsylvanian is state supported, 'they' don't want it held more than a couple minutes for a tardy Capitol Ltd.  Seeing they don't hold east/southbound LD trains at CHI for even 15 minutes for late trains from the west, (personal observation 2 years ago), I wouldn't count on #42 being held at PGH.  At least if the Cap is running quite late, you can purchase another ticket PGH-WAS on your cellphone.  If that were  to happen, I'd call  it in rather than book it online to assure you stay in the same room.

It all depends on how much time you have between trains at Pittsburgh. 

I haven't made that connection in a couple of years due to the necessity to be an early riser.  But every time I've made the connection, I was always worried when I got up that we'd be late by more than a few minutes and the Pennsylvanian would be gone.  I've read a number of threads on various threads that since the Pennsylvanian is state supported, 'they' don't want it held more than a couple minutes for a tardy Capitol Ltd.  At least if the Cap is running quite late, you can purchase another ticket PGH-WAS on your cellphone.  If that were  to happen, I'd call  it in rather than book it online to assure you stay in the same room.
If you miss your connection because the Capitol is late, Amtrak has to make (and pay for) alternate travel arrangements for you. Usually this is just the Capitol to WAS and then a Regional north. So you should not have to "purchase" anything. Just let Amtrak handle it.

If you miss your connection because the Capitol is late, Amtrak has to make (and pay for) alternate travel arrangements for you. Usually this is just the Capitol to WAS and then a Regional north. So you should not have to "purchase" anything. Just let Amtrak handle it.
This is assuming the OP's destination is Philadelphia, New York or somewhere in between. If it is west of Philly, that won't work. 

When I was on the CL in 2015 and it was late and missed the connection to the Pennsylvanian, I heard passengers were bustituted to Pennsylvania stops.

This is assuming the OP's destination is Philadelphia, New York or somewhere in between. If it is west of Philly, that won't work. 

When I was on the CL in 2015 and it was late and missed the connection to the Pennsylvanian, I heard passengers were bustituted to Pennsylvania stops.
True, but because Bratkinson said "At least if the Cap is running quite late, you can purchase another ticket PGH-WAS on your cellphone", I was speaking in the context of being able to take the Capitol all the way to D.C. There is never a case where you need to personally purchase a ticket on a different train if you're going to miss your connection on Amtrak.

As to where to eat near Pittsburgh station, when I asked at the ticket window during my trip in early April 2018, the agent had a map or list (one-sheet photocopy) of nearby restaurants. Very handy. Ended up eating breakfast at an Einstein's Bagels a couple of blocks from the station.

True, but because Bratkinson said "At least if the Cap is running quite late, you can purchase another ticket PGH-WAS on your cellphone", I was speaking in the context of being able to take the Capitol all the way to D.C. There is never a case where you need to personally purchase a ticket on a different train if you're going to miss your connection on Amtrak.
I generally try to 'think ahead' and solve the problem myself before 'the company' (Amtrak (and airlines, in days gone by)) comes up with a solution, like busing. 

Living in the Springfield MA area, a couple years ago I was booked on NEC train #141 to WAS, then #29 to CHI.  Historically, it is almost always less costly to go that way vs the Lakeshore Ltd or Cardinal, and only sometimes did the computer 'offer' connecting via the Pennsylvanian at PGH.  As a railfan, I'll usually try to maximize my train time for the least cost.  So, 2.5 years ago, after a CSX derailment in suburban WAS on the route of the Capitol Ltd, 2 days later, when I was booked to take #141 to WAS and #29 to CHI, I knew the line was still blocked and #30 turned at PGH to go out as #29 at midnight.  So, while aboard #141 somewhere south of New Haven, I contacted Amtrak ticketing, told them the situation, and that I would get off at NYP and take the Pennsylvanian to PGH to 'meet' my roomette.  Unfortunately, the Amtrak computer couldn't/didn't release 'my' roomette for rebooking.  So I got booked into another roomette.  I think I came out ahead, as the 2 or 3 busloads of passengers from WAS and points in between were non-stop grumble, grumble, grumble about their rubber-tired journey. 

A year and a half ago, on my AGR Points 'vacation', I was booked on the Coast Starlight LAX->PDX, but UP had a derailment on a bridge north of Sacramento which cancelled the Coast Starlight indefinitely (for the first week or so).  So, I figured out how to salvage my vacation checking for roomettes on a variety of trains before calling Amtrak and changing my reservation to bypass the CS.  I ended up doing a couple of 'shorts' (3 different roomettes for one night only on the 3 night #422 LAX-CHI) and booked #30 to WAS then #148 home to SPG.  Had I simply gotten to LAX and  then headed to the ticket window when told of the Coast Starlight cancellation, I would have been left holding the bag as at that point in time, 'no alternative travel available', ie, no buses, planes, or anything else.  Just a refund of the CS portion of the ticket (AGR points) and I'd be on my own to get to PDX.

I should note that since the June 6 NEC time table revision to coincide with the launch of the CTRail 'Hartford Line', train #148 (last train to SPG) leaves WAS 2 hours later, giving an almost 4 hour layover from #30 in WAS.  I've done that twice already.  It sure beats my formerly 'sweating bullets' to make the connection if we left Cumberland 2 hrs late, give or take.  Nowadays, it looks like that connection is 'made' almost all of the time.

I generally try to 'think ahead' and solve the problem myself before 'the company' (Amtrak (and airlines, in days gone by)) comes up with a solution, like busing. 
What I generally recommend is to call Amtrak once you know you're gonna miss the connection and make sure they make appropriate arrangements for you. If you book it yourself you are spending money on the ticket and likely won't be able to get a refund. Just make sure they deal with it appropriately but don't purchase anything out of pocket.

As it turned out, on the "cut 'em off at the pass(PGH)" move, the Amtrak agent (or someone else) refunded the AGR points penalty for effectively changing my reservation. 

On the aborted trip to PDX, I didn't get any penalty, but paid then current prices for my revised itinerary.  But something good came out of that.  I got to spend my first and only nights in a Superliner family room and two days later, in the trans dorm car.  That leaves only a 'double slumbercoach' Amtrak accomodation I never got to sleep in.  But then, the double slumbercoach is the basis for all Amtrak roomettes today.

As it turned out, on the "cut 'em off at the pass(PGH)" move, the Amtrak agent (or someone else) refunded the AGR points penalty for effectively changing my reservation. 

On the aborted trip to PDX, I didn't get any penalty, but paid then current prices for my revised itinerary.  But something good came out of that.  I got to spend my first and only nights in a Superliner family room and two days later, in the trans dorm car.  That leaves only a 'double slumbercoach' Amtrak accomodation I never got to sleep in.  But then, the double slumbercoach is the basis for all Amtrak roomettes today.
If only the price was also mirrored. The slumbercoaches, single and double, were quite a bargain!

I truly believe if any future sleeping car plans materialize, that if a bare bones PRIVATE sleeping accommodation could be included it would be a BIG hit with the public. Private, as in NOT an open section or anything else you'd share in "intimate" proximity with strangers. (The USA isn't likely to embrace that concept, I feel certain). But simply a smallish private space with one or two beds and not many other amenities -- yes!

I know slumbercoaches featured toilets and sinks plus a small closet but I'm thinking we can walk down the hall for those, and use a community storage shelf for luggage that is too big to bring into the mini-accommodation. Just a place to sleep horizontally in private is all many pax would need. I'd certainly be willing to supply my own linens or use my own sleeping bag, do without most of the services typically provided by a SCA, and purchase any food I consume on board a la carte. Above all, it should be priced a lot lower than traditional roomettes or bedrooms.

The OP did not mention if they were riding coach or in a sleeper on 30 to PGH.  If 30 is very late and the decision was made to stay on 30 to WAS and connect with an NER there,  the "free ticket" would likely only include a coach ticket and not the ability to remain in the sleeper to WAS.  If the room was not to be occupied east of PGH, then one might be afforded that amenity.  

Also my experience is that any destination west of Harrisburg (Johnstown, Altoona, etc) would involve a bustitution for the missed connection to #42.  

Back