Fascinating History of the Titanic Disaster

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having read some six books regarding the "Titanic", as well as seen three movies regarding same, there is always something new to me earn about this maritime disaster - and there were a couple of "factoids" within the immediately linked presentation.

Having read some six books regarding the "Titanic", as well as seen three movies regarding same, there is always something new to me earn about this maritime disaster - and there were a couple of "factoids" within the immediately linked presentation.
Which sense of the term "factoid" are you using -- something that's true but trivial/unimportant, or the original sense of a piece of unreliable information that's been repeated so often that it's believed to be factual?

The most interesting "factoid" (trivial) was that the hulk sank the 12500' depth in 15 minutes, or an average speed of 10 mph.

The most interesting "factoid" (trivial) was that the hulk sank the 12500' depth in 15 minutes, or an average speed of 10 mph.
Hmm. How did they reconstruct and establish that fact some 70+ years after the sinking? I presume that the original ship wasn't equipped with telemetry....

Hmm. How did they reconstruct and establish that fact some 70+ years after the sinking? I presume that the original ship wasn't equipped with telemetry.... 
From all I can see, that is just an estimate based on simple math. So I guess 10 mph is not a particularly impressive number, but rather, is by definition, the normal figure.

One of my former bosses told me that he is a distant relative of some people on board Titanic.   His last name is Thayer.     :cool:
Considering there were something like 2,300+ people onboard the Titanic when it sank, that doesn’t seem all that unlikely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering there were something like 2,300+ people onboard the Titanic when it sank, that doesn’t seem all that unlikely.
Agree...my aunt's mother-in-law, was a steerage class Titanic survivor....I don't recall her maiden name that she sailed under...

This rare, uncut, and unnarrated footage of the wreck of Titanic marks the first time humans set eyes on the ill-fated ship since 1912 and includes many other iconic scenes. Captured in July 1986 from cameras on the human-occupied submersible Alvin and the newly built, remotely operated Jason Junior, most of this footage has never been released to the public.

The sinking of the Titanic result in the SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) regulations. Which one of the biggest requirements was enough lifeboats for all passenger. Of course the lifeboats are rated to carry a certain amount of passenger on flat calm seas. Some high profile sinking do occur on flat claim seas. A few loss of power, and fires on board have not occur on claim seas. A some point the shortcomings of these SOLAS regulations will be the next Titanic story.

Back