LakeShore Limited Roundtrip Chicago to Albany

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a trip I made with my buddy Mike.  He lives in Cleveland and took a bus to Chicago so we could ride together to Albany so we could sit in a roomette and talk, telling lies, etc. 

we met up in Chicago at the metropolitan lounge about 3:45 pm on Friday November 2.  We ate at Prime and Provisions Steak house. Outstanding food and service.  

Once we returned to the lounge the agent, who new me had printed out our tickets and she explained that we had been moved to the 4820 car from the 4811.  Was not happy initially because I had deliberately booked the nyc section to be closer to the diner. But 4820 is way better than a downgrade to coach so I rolled with it.  

We boarded about 9:20 and departed on time. Marcelo is an excellent car attendant.  I slept well.  Woke up briefly near Toledo and Elyria. 

I walked back to the diner to try the much complained about breakfast.  6 cars, not 4 as had been reported in my post about this topic , between the diner and the Boston snack car.  Noting the operational change and am not correcting the person who graciously tried to help me.  

I missed the pancakes and sausage. The car attendant was pleasant and the viewliner diner was fabulous.  The breakfast box was filling. The attendant offered to heat the muffin.  I ate it cold and it was ok. 

The snack car menu is significantly different. No Doritos or pretzel.  More of the fancier stuff.  Did not eat any of it. 

We have been operating 30 minutes late all morning and have probably lost a few more minutes after the traditional slow departure from Syracuse. 

We returned to the Albany station. A pleasant place to wait for trains. A high ceiling with big windows to the west allowed the sun to shine in.  The windows were tinted to cut glare. 

The Boston section arrived on time and we were allowed to board the 4929 car before the 49 and 449 were combined.  A nice effort.  The switching was completed and we left on time.  

The sca was efficient and friendly. As was the diner attendant.  The lounge car attendant makes annoyingly playful announcements.  

We sat in Erie for 1 hour due to the time change.  This surprised me because iirc the station is on the main line so freight traffic would be blocked.  

The arrival into Chicago is the usual slow run behind 29 and freight traffic. Should be about 30 minutes late.  

Back