Australian taking on an Amtrak Adventure

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, long time lurker and first time poster here.

I’m travelling over to the USA again in January 2019 to complete more of my Amtrak travels. I’ve already been on a few trains in the past but this one will let me see a whole new range of sights.

I’m travelling the Coast Starlight from Seattle down to San Diego, then back to LA after a few days to connect to the Texas Eagle through to Chicago and connecting through to Boston. Then after a few days taking the Aclea and Silver Star down to Tampa before heading off on a cruise.

It will be interesting to compare the service and facilities to previous years and trips but I’m sure it will still be a great trip. I’m in a Roomette for the main legs and business or first class seats for the others.

I’ve learned a lot so far from everyone’s different posts so far, and I hope I can provide updates or info as I can as I travel. Will be fun spending New Year’s Eve on the Coast Starlight too.

I’m hoping the weather is kind, as I know I will encounter all extremes of weather throughout the journey. But that’s what makes it an adventure!

You’ll have bags of fun seeing the country and meeting your fellow-travellers, most of whom will be from all sorts of different places in the USA with interesting stories to tell.

If you ever feel a little homesick while headed south on the Coastal Starlight, just take a look out of the right side windows and remember Oz is over the horizon :)

(1) I’m travelling the Coast Starlight from Seattle down to San Diego, then back to LA after a few days to connect to the Texas Eagle through to Chicago and connecting through to Boston.

(2) It will be interesting to compare the service and facilities to previous years and trips but I’m sure it will still be a great trip.

(3) Will be fun spending New Year’s Eve on the Coast Starlight too.

(4) I’m hoping the weather is kind, as I know I will encounter all extremes of weather throughout the journey. But that’s what makes it an adventure!
(1) You may already be well aware of this, but the Coast Starlight ends in LA at night.  If you're wanting to see as much as possible of the areas South of LA you might want to consider stopping overnight and continuing in the morning.

(2) If it's been a while since your last trip then lounge facilities at LAUS and CUS will have likely improved, onboard dining and sleeper amenities will have become even more simplified, while remaining staff will probably be a bit more rushed and hurried than before.

(3) If you're big on ringing in the New Year be aware that on-board celebrations tend to be rather calm and subdued compared to more stationary locations.

(4) Recent years have seen exceptional weather related phenomenon across the entire network.  The best way to avoid stress and problems is to plan for stopovers at each major connecting point.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you don't attempt to compare Amtrak to the IP or the Ghan, you might actually survive the journey with a B- rating. :rolleyes:

(1) You may already be well aware of this, but the Coast Starlight ends in LA at night.  If you're wanting to see as much as possible of the areas South of LA you might want to consider stopping overnight and continuing in the morning.
The Coast Starlight does not serve San Diego at all. If you're going south of LAX, you have to take the PacSurf. 

(3) If you're big on ringing in the New Year be aware that on-board celebrations tend to be rather calm and subdued compared to more stationary locations.
This! The first and only time I took Amtrak on New Years Eve we were expecting some kind of small celebration or recognition of it, but alas, there was absolutely nothing. We did end up handing out party favors we had bought beforehand to the crew and fellow passengers, and we chatted with them a bit, but overall, a real waste of New Years. :(

The Coast Starlight does not serve San Diego at all. If you're going south of LAX, you have to take the PacSurf.
I did not intend to imply otherwise.  If I had added a comma thusly my original point may have been clearer...

(1) You may already be well aware of this, but the Coast Starlight ends in LA, at night.

Thanks for the replys and advice.
Yep I’m aware of the change of trains in Los Angeles to San Diego. I’ve booked it as a through ticket.

Shame about New Year’s Eve but I’m complete fine with a low key night. I’m looking forward to escaping phones etc and watching the changing scenery from my cabin.

I’ve booked each main leg a few days apart to allow time to see the main cities. This also allows for delays from weather etc.

And yes, very different travelling compared to the Ghan and Indian Pacific services here in Australia. Can highly recommend the long flight to Australia to experience those though.

Back