Observation car on 48 tonight (11/1)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B&Ofan

Train Attendant
Hi all -

I am leaving Chicago tonight and noticed a heritage sleeper dead-heading on our train. My sleeping car attendant also said that  that the  big wig observation car (inspection) car was also tagging along. I'll try to get some pictures in Toledo or Albany. The number on the heritage  sleeper is 10020.

Last edited by a moderator:
#10020 'Pacific Bend' is a Heritage crew-dorm (former 10-6 sleeper with the bedrooms taken out) which is frequently used on executive trains. And I take it the "observation car" you're talking about is a Viewliner? If so, that is Inspection Car #10004 'American View'.

Last edited by a moderator:
#10020 'Pacific Cape' is a Heritage crew-dorm (former 10-6 sleeper with the bedrooms taken out) which is frequently used on executive trains. And I take it the "observation car" you're talking about is a Viewliner? If so, that is Inspection Car #10004 'American View'.
The other option I can think of for this case would be 10001 Beech Grove, the wreck rebuild that was set up as an office car, made out of an amfleet car.

I just happened to see that in the 'Amtrak Lake Shore Limited' Facebook group, someone got a video of #49(30) pulling Pacific Bend, Corridor Clipper, and American View (in that order). So my guess is that Corridor Clipper got dropped off in Chicago, and Pacific Bend and American View are making their way back.

Corridor clipper should have went with it. It was still in consist when I passed it Wednesday early early morning in Chicago yard. When I woke up all three cars were gone.

Yes, There are 3 cars on the tail of our train. The last is a viewliner which I suspect is 10004.

Quick question: What is the Corridor Clipper used for? It looks like an updated version of one of those Metroliner cab cars.

Quick question: What is the Corridor Clipper used for? It looks like an updated version of one of those Metroliner cab cars.
It is not and has never been a Metroliner. It was originally a standard Amfleet which went through extensive modifications to become a track (and catenary) geometry car.

Back