Question about Ex-Metroliner Cab Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rspenmoll

Train Attendant
I was aware of the retirement of the Pacific Parlor Cars last winter, but I was surprised when I recently read an article mentioning that their retirement marked the end of the use of the heritage fleet in regular revenue service. Why aren't the Ex-Metroliner Cab Cars considered part of the heritage fleet if they were provided to Amtrak on A-Day by the Penn Central Railroad? Also, are there any plans to replace them now that they are over 50 years old and the oldest rolling stock in Amtrak's fleet?

The term "Heritage Fleet" applies to the the old cars from previous railroads which were converted in the late 70s from steam heating to HEP. The Metroliners did not go through that process.

The term "Heritage Fleet" applies to the the old cars from previous railroads which were converted in the late 70s from steam heating to HEP. The Metroliners did not go through that process.
Thank you for the clarification, I didn't realize that the term referred specifically to cars that underwent conversion from steam heating. Does that mean that Amtrak's original baggage cars were heated, if they were considered part of the heritage fleet? I didn't think they would be, since they were not passenger cars. 

Thank you for the clarification, I didn't realize that the term referred specifically to cars that underwent conversion from steam heating. Does that mean that Amtrak's original baggage cars were heated, if they were considered part of the heritage fleet? I didn't think they would be, since they were not passenger cars. 
Actually, some Amtrak heritage baggage cars were originally built as passenger cars.

As indicated above, the Heritage Fleet was the older RR passenger cars, mostly built in the late '40s and early-mid '50s.  As I recall, the Metroliners were built '68-70, give or take, and were 'all electric' as built.  Hence, no need for a conversion.

If I recall correctly, there's an FRA rule that states no in-service, common-carrier passenger cars can exceed 50 years of age.  That's just one of many reasons the Heritage Fleet had to ultimately go.  As I recall, the last Heritage Fleet equipped train was the Three Rivers (a Heritage 10/6 sleeper) and all the dining cars for which there were no replacements.  No baggage car replacements were available, as well.  The Pacific Parlor cars passed their 50th about 2006.  In each case, Amtrak had to obtain a waiver (for each car? I don't know) to allow its operation beyond the mandated 50 year limit.

What's interesting is that the oldest of the Amfleet cars is well past 40, and even the Superliner Is are 'getting up there' in age.  It'll be interesting to watch how Amtrak deals with those cars 'aging out'.

Last edited by a moderator:
As indicated above, the Heritage Fleet was the older RR passenger cars, mostly built in the late '40s and early-mid '50s.  As I recall, the Metroliners were built '68-70, give or take, and were 'all electric' as built.  Hence, no need for a conversion.

If I recall correctly, there's an FRA rule that states no in-service, common-carrier passenger cars can exceed 50 years of age.  That's just one of many reasons the Heritage Fleet had to ultimately go.  As I recall, the last Heritage Fleet equipped train was the Three Rivers (a Heritage 10/6 sleeper) and all the dining cars for which there was no replacement yet.  No baggage car replacements were available yet, as well.  The Pacific Parlor cars passed their 50th about 2006.  In each case, Amtrak had to obtain a waiver (for each car? I don't know) to allow its operation beyond the mandated 50 year limit.

What's interesting is that the oldest of the Amfleet cars is well past 40, and even the Superliner Is are 'getting up there' in age.  It'll be interesting to watch how Amtrak deals with those cars 'aging out'.
In since the Ex-Metroliner cab cars are now past 50 years old, has Amtrak had to obtain waivers to continue operating them, or was their conversion to cab cars so extensive a modification that they are  treated as only dating from their conversion in 1988 for the purposes of that regulation? 

In since the Ex-Metroliner cab cars are now past 50 years old, has Amtrak had to obtain waivers to continue operating them, or was their conversion to cab cars so extensive a modification that they are  treated as only dating from their conversion in 1988 for the purposes of that regulation? 
For all intents and purposes, at this point they are basically just Amfleets with cabs at the end.

I think the 50 year rule is for post 1979 built or rebuilt freight cars (40 yr before 79) not passenger, but am not certain. Plenty of PV is over 50
Correct, the 50 year rule does not apply to passenger cars.

Isn't the need, is to have all cars, even baggage cars, support HEP even if only to pass it onto the next car? 

I am sure they are planning on continueing to operate them until there's a plan to replace the Amfleet 1s as a whole. The cars on the New Haven - Springfield Shuttle service including the cab cars just recently received the interior refresh that the Northeast Corridor Amfleet 1s received.

All passenger cars have to be equipped with pass thru HEP and in the case of the steam era steam heat pass thru. Regardless of their purpose it is so they can operate in any position of the train.

Power and in this case steam has always come from the head end and baggage cars traditionally ride the head end. So all cars would have been equipped.

I for one am thankful for HEP because I've worked steam heat before and while it's beautiful for photos. It's horrible for operations.

All passenger cars have to be equipped with pass thru HEP and in the case of the steam era steam heat pass thru. Regardless of their purpose it is so they can operate in any position of the train.

Power and in this case steam has always come from the head end and baggage cars traditionally ride the head end. So all cars would have been equipped.

I for one am thankful for HEP because I've worked steam heat before and while it's beautiful for photos. It's horrible for operations.
How is steam heat "beautiful"? I mean, how does it even have any look? :huh:

How is steam heat "beautiful"? I mean, how does it even have any look? :huh:
Oh all that leaking steam billowing out from between and sometimes under the cars, and all the wonderful frozen steam pipes when they are not billowing out on account of having frozen up for some reasons :D

There is one rule about Heritage cars on Amtrak.  Believe that friction  ( plain ) bearings are not allowed!  However in the past plain bearing steam locos and tenders were allowed Any one know for sure ?g

Back