Extra checked baggage fee question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinslot

Service Attendant
If I am going from WAS to CHI to LAX (really PHL to WAS to CHI to LAX but I will be drop/ping my checked bags off early so they can hopefully meet me there) and I want to check an extra bar or two--am I charged $20 per bag, or $20 per leg of my trip?

I ask this because I have noticed the bike fees are per leg of trip, i.e., taking a bike on the Capitol Limited and then the Southwest Chief costs $40, not $20. Are excess baggage fees also doubled if you transfer from one train with checked baggage to another? Thanks.

It's technically charged on where it's checked to. So if you checked your bags to CHI and then pick them up. Then check them again to LAX they'd charge you again. It's charged each time you check an extra bag.

Hope this makes sense.

It's technically charged on where it's checked to. So if you checked your bags to CHI and then pick them up. Then check them again to LAX they'd charge you again. It's charged each time you check an extra bag.

Hope this makes sense.
It does, thanks.

I want to drop off my bags at PHL the day before I leave. If I'm reading the schedule right if I can get them there by 4 PM the night before they'll go to WAS on the 97 and then go on some LAX-bound route. If I don't get there by 4 it looks like there are some AM trains (like the Palmetto) who will also get my bags to WAS and from there to LAX.

Luckily I'm coming home via the Southwest Chief and then the Cardinal so I won't have to deal with figuring out how to get my bags to where I'm going at the same time I do (or earlier.)

Hope this makes sense.
It does, thanks.

I want to drop off my bags at PHL the day before I leave. If I'm reading the schedule right if I can get them there by 4 PM the night before they'll go to WAS on the 97 and then go on some LAX-bound route. If I don't get there by 4 it looks like there are some AM trains (like the Palmetto) who will also get my bags to WAS and from there to LAX.

Luckily I'm coming home via the Southwest Chief and then the Cardinal so I won't have to deal with figuring out how to get my bags to where I'm going at the same time I do (or earlier.)
Unless something goes horribly wrong on Amtrak's end, so long as you drop your bags off at least 45 minutes before your departure, they will arrive at the same time (or before) you do. So I wouldn't worry.

But if I have a leg of my travel without checked baggage (PHL to WAS in my case) there is a chance they will not, correct? Hence my desire to check them in as early as possible.

But if I have a leg of my travel without checked baggage (PHL to WAS in my case) there is a chance they will not, correct? Hence my desire to check them in as early as possible.
Correct. You'll need to check them in early so they can make it to the destination by the time you will on checked-baggage trains. (Though if they route it a different way, your baggage may be earlier than you are, especially if a connection is missed! It's not a big issue, but a bit funny to think about.)

I see. Well could you possibly bring those bags onboard with you from PHL to WAS, and then check them from there on? Or is there just too much stuff to do that, even for a two hour ride?

I see. Well could you possibly bring those bags onboard with you from PHL to WAS, and then check them from there on? Or is there just too much stuff to do that, even for a two hour ride?
I've done that before but this trip, with my bike in its case, it's going to be too much to jam into the Acela.

I've done that before but this trip, with my bike in its case, it's going to be too much to jam into the Acela.
Got it. Well if you drop the bags off the night before, it can definitely make it onto the 5:00 AM NER #67, which offers checked baggage. Considering #67 arrives into WAS at 7:00 AM, your bags will have nine hours in WAS to make the switch. So if you can make it to the station the night before, I am certain they'll make it in time.
default_smile.png

Back