Safety Patrol Train 2019?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
Does anyone know if the Safety Patrol Train is scheduled for 2019? It usually runs either in January or February between WPB and WAS on the Silver Meteor, trains 98 and 97.

Checking schedules, it appears that train 98 is sold out between ORL and WAS on 1/10/19 and 1/17/19 and train 97 is sold out between WAS and ORL on 1/13 and 1/20. My first guess is the Safety Patrol Train.

Thanks.

Hopefully for the sake of regular Amtrak pax this thing gets cancelled! From what I understand, they jettison anyone who already has a res on the days this thing runs.

Hopefully for the sake of regular Amtrak pax this thing gets cancelled! From what I understand, they jettison anyone who already has a res on the days this thing runs.
The number of displaced passengers is minuscule this far in advance and they aren't jettisoned without options. Alternate transportation is available on the Silver Star which covers all but 6 Meteor stops. Of those 6 stops, 5 are covered by the Palmetto for travel to/from all points from SAV north. You're only displacing traffic from Florida to Yemassee to Fayetteville. Not exactly a hot corridor with middle of the night stops.

At least the Safety Patrol tradition appears to be continuing, introducing the next generation to the possibility of travel by rail. Anderson could have just as easily pulled a Toys for Tots on this train, too.

The number of displaced passengers is minuscule this far in advance and they aren't jettisoned without options. Alternate transportation is available on the Silver Star which covers all but 6 Meteor stops. Of those 6 stops, 5 are covered by the Palmetto for travel to/from all points from SAV north. You're only displacing traffic from Florida to Yemassee to Fayetteville. Not exactly a hot corridor with middle of the night stops.

At least the Safety Patrol tradition appears to be continuing, introducing the next generation to the possibility of travel by rail. Anderson could have just as easily pulled a Toys for Tots on this train, too.
Are the above dates that indicated "sold out" trains, the dates of 2019 Safety Patrol trains?

I agree with you. Its a deserving tradition for the children.

Back