Return Downeaster - Lake Shore Limited - CA Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail_Gurlz

Train Attendant
After four travel days, three nights in NYC, and three nights in Lisbon Falls, ME - we are headed home. Due to track work there’s a bus bridge between Haverhill and Boston. We were on board and underway by 7:30. The incoming nor’easter didn’t affect our journey.

Ok, the Downeaster is a bit rocky and relatively noisy. Business class is quite comfy and in the same car as B class. We got to watch the cafe attendant come in before the bus bridge and start turning seats in the opposite direction. We are now more informed than we should be and all the mor likely to spin seats around at our pleasure.

Arrived at Boston N via bus, took a cab to Boston S ($9) where we had a bit of time to kill before our LSL left. We discovered Tavern in the Square has gluten free clam chowder (!) but no Irish coffee. Apparently the station bars don’t have coffee (?).

The Boston S station is an Amtrak hub so more choices.

And, on to the LSL!

On our outbound trip our SCA saw we had luggage and took it to a mysterious place so we could ride in comfort seated on chairs rather than suitcases. We sort of thought it would be the same case here.

Nope. Our SCA lectured us about not checking our bags (not enough time), bringing too much, and that it was against the rules to put unchecked bags in the baggage compartment. And, moreover, if a conductor saw the bags without a tag he would likely evict them from the train, she could not be responsible for such things.

She did put two bags in the storage area in the compartment and informed me the smaller, rolling carryon could sit down on the shelf next to where my head will be tonight. The LSL sleeping is a little funky, the upper part of bed is wider than the lower part. As a larger person who “twirls” through the night, I found it uncomfortable the first time. I can’t imagine sleeping with a rolling bag next to me.

S is smaller and not a twirling thrasher so the upper bunk was a nice treat. She lives having a window and the ability to sit upright and watch the world passing.

It surprises me how different each train is and the leeway given to staff to change things up even more.

When we boarded our SCA grilled us and wanted our tickets. I made a joke about not having them and randomly heading down a platform dragging luggage. When we got to our roomette there was a gentleman sitting inside. The SCA has posted names and destinations on the outside of each room. All our names were posted.

We went out to ask if we were sharing a compartment. The SCA indicated she assumed we were all traveling together. I was trying hard not to laugh. Was he planning on sitting on the closed toilet the entire time? I let her know that while he seemed like a nice enough guy, we didn’t plan to share. Turns out she’d goofed and he wasn’t looking at his ticket. He moved and the boarding continued.

Onward!

IMG_0476.JPG

Our SCA informed us that while there was a trash bin in our roomette it interfered with both plumbing and electrical. As a result, in order to avoid in board fires, and presumably toilet back ups, she was placing one of the white trash boxes in the shower room - we should throw all trash there.

I’d like to shower tonight and am curious whether this is temporary or for the duration.

A gentleman apparently decided to walk the rails outside Worcester, waiting for the police has delayed us roughly 45 minutes.

IMG_0491.JPG

Our SCA informed us that while there was a trash bin in our roomette it interfered with both plumbing and electrical. As a result, in order to avoid in board fires, and presumably toilet back ups, she was placing one of the white trash boxes in the shower room - we should throw all trash there.

I’d like to shower tonight and am curious whether this is temporary or for the duration.

A gentleman apparently decided to walk the rails outside Worcester, waiting for the police has delayed us roughly 45 minutes.

attachicon.gif
IMG_0491.JPG
The trash can in a roomette interfered with the plumbing and electrical? Never heard of anything like that.
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've been thinking about this a bunch and I don't see any way whatsoever that the trash could interfere with the plumbing and electrical. Maybe one of our more knowledgeable members who knows more about the technical side of a Viewliner can jump in here?

The trash can in a roomette interfered with the plumbing and electrical? Never heard of anything like that.
default_wacko.png
Yup, we were a little confused as well. We’re guessing she’s not interested in cleaning either the waste bins or the shower. S reminds me about the beautiful shower st the CHI metro lounge - and surely I can stay with icky hair until we arrive.

Back