Current consist of 48/49?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be riding next week. I’m in the nyc section going to Albany and the Boston section returning. I understand in in general the New York section is in the rear and the Boston section at the front. What I’m curious about is the location and of the snack car. Is it adjacent to the diner on the New York section or further up with the Boston section?

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be riding next week. I’m in the nyc section going to Albany and the Boston section returning. I understand in in general the New York section is in the rear and the Boston droid at the front. What I’m curious about is the location and of the snack car. Is it adjacent to the diner on the New York section or further up with the Boston section?
I wasn’t aware that Amtrak had any droids in service...

Except that the Cafe is a split car which also has BC, that might influence its placement to cut down on through traffic in the BC part. I've ridden the Boston sleeper on a trip that I originated in Albany and am drawing a blank.

I just rode 49 and the cafe car was towards the front of the train, part of the Boston section. I didn’t count the cars, but you have to walk through a few cars to get to the cafe from the NYP coach section.

Here's the current LSL consist (with the Boston section in blue and the NY section in red):

P42 - P42 - Baggage Car - Sleeper - Cafe/Business car - Coach - Coach - Coach - Coach - Coach - Coach - Diner/Sleeper Lounge - Sleeper - Sleeper - Baggage Car

Isn't the Cafe car on the Boston section? So would it be the car next to the NY coaches?
Except that the Cafe is a split car which also has BC, that might influence its placement to cut down on through traffic in the BC part. I've ridden the Boston sleeper on a trip that I originated in Albany and am drawing a blank.
I just rode 49 and the cafe car was towards the front of the train, part of the Boston section. I didn’t count the cars, but you have to walk through a few cars to get to the cafe from the NYP coach section.
The business/cafe car is right behind the Boston sleeper and right in front of the Boston coaches, with the BC end facing the sleeper. If you're in the sleeper adjacent to the diner (48/4920), it's a seven car walk to the cafe.

Good exercise to burn off some of the calories from the Jimmy Dean's Breakfast Sandwich.
default_biggrin.png

Incidentally, when I am in the mood for eggs that is my preferred breakfast fare on trains that do not have a sit down breakfast with eggs on the menu.
default_wink.png

Good exercise to burn off some of the calories from the Jimmy Dean's Breakfast Sandwich.
default_biggrin.png

Incidentally, when I am in the mood for eggs that is my preferred breakfast fare on trains that do not have a sit down breakfast with eggs on the menu.
default_wink.png
Agreed. That was what I was thinking too. The line must be quite long though since it’s the only food service car on a busy train.

default_biggrin.png

default_wink.png
Agreed. That was what I was thinking too. The line must be quite long though since it’s the only food service car on a busy train.
Maybe, but the LSL is 20-22 hours end-to-end, and considering the fact that prices in the cafe are pretty high, I imagine most coach passengers just bring food. There's probably a bit of a wait, but we're only talking about six coach cars (and a maximum of 18 BC pax) on a train that only serves two meals.

My 'trick' when using the cafe car for meals on the Lakeshore, Capitol Ltd, and Silver Star is to avoid going during peak meal times. I go early to hopefully not run into 'we ran out'.

Having ridden 449 from coach from SPG then 49 sleeper from ALB the day after Labor Day, I grabbed dinner in the cafe a little after Pittsfield. I walked 'the walk' through the coaches for breakfast about 6:30 AM while most passengers were still sawing logs. Avoiding legs, arms & heads hanging out in the aisle at that hour becomes a challenge!

Back