Bicycling the Hoosier State

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in August - there was a weekend where my wife and daughters were all out of town - and I was on my own for a couple of days. So after reading on this forum that Bicycles were now accepted on the Hoosier State train - I decided to take a day to combine my love of trains and my love of bicycles for a day trip of bicycle riding in Chicago. Now, months later I'm finally getting around to documenting that experience - hopefully to the benefit of others.

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I've read that bicycles on Amtrak can be a mixed bag - so I wasn't really sure what to expect. The bottom line for me at least - is that the Amtrak conductors and OBS of the Hoosier State made the experience a very good one - despite not having any bicycle-specific accommodations on the train. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Itinerary[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I live about 20 miles west of Indianapolis - about midway (distance-wise) between Indy & Crawfordsville. The Crawfordsville station is just an "Amshack" - but they have free parking, are located right across the street from the Police station (less chance of a car break in) - and the train times to/from Chicago are much more convenient both ways. Departure time is 6:58am from CRF (vs 6:00am from IND), and the Return is 10:20pm (vs 11:39pm to IND). That makes for a nice day in the Windy City - arriving at 10am and departing for home at 5:45pm. Plenty of time for summer biking along Lake Michigan.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Business Class or Coach?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]For me - this was a no brainer. Business Class is about a $20 adder (each way) over the Save Coach fare - BUT it includes access to the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago - and its shower facilities. After several hours of cycling in 85+ degree temperatures - a shower is a must. The bicycle charge is $20. So my total was $54 x 2 + $20 = $128. Not inexpensive - but I thought it was a good value.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Storing the Bike Outbound...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]When the train arrived - the conductor knew I (and my bike) were coming - and directed me to the appropriate door. I quickly found out there were no dedicated bicycle facilities on the train, but his plan was to put the bike in the hallway of a deadheading sleeping car located right behind the Business Class car. I carried it aboard myself, and placed it in the sleeper hallway. He locked up behind me - preventing any access to the deadheading car. Now - if I had a $10,000 bike and I was paranoid about getting a scratch on it - this approach may not have been for me. But I'm a little more easy going and wasn't the least bit concerned about the location for the bike. When we arrived in Chicago - the process just worked in reverse. He unlocked the sleeper, and I retrieved my bike and I went on my way.[/SIZE]

Bike_Sleeper.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=10.5pt]Cycling in Chicago...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]With nearly 20 miles of trails along Lake Michigan - what a great place to cycle! While I ran into a lot of trail construction (they are separating the pedestrian and bicycling portions of the trail - in several sections - that work should be completed next year some time) - and a LOT of people - there were entire sections of the trail which were very scenic and not [/SIZE]too heavily populated.

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

Lakefront Trail.JPG

[SIZE=10pt]Trail 3.JPG[/SIZE]

Trail Park.jpg

View from the Trail.JPG

[SIZE=10.5pt]Storing the Bike at the Station...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]When I was done with my 40 miles of riding along the Lake, it was time to head back to Union Station and get a shower prior to the return. However - I needed to find a place for my bike while that happened. As it turns out, bicycles are NOT allowed in the Metropolitan Lounge area. However - they ARE allowed in the Checked Baggage area (over by Baggage Claim). In my case, I showed my ticket including the bike fare, and they didn't charge me to store the bike. Now - your experience may be different - so expect a checked baggage fee just in case. The attendant had me wheel my bike and place it in the storage room myself, and the same thing happened in reverse when I retrieved my bike.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Shower Facilities in Chicago...[/SIZE]

I have been to the new Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago several times now since it has opened - but this was the first time using the shower facilities. I made sure there was plenty of time prior to my departure (about 90 minutes or so), and I told the Lounge attendant I would like to have access to a shower. She took my drivers license, and handed me a towel along with an electronic pass that allowed me entry to the shower area of the main floor bathroom. What nice facilities! Brand new, well maintained and in my case immaculately clean. Very nice!

Shower.JPG

Shower Dressing Area.JPG

[SIZE=10.5pt]Storing the Bike on the Return..[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt].[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]On the return, there was no deadheading sleeper, and the conductor was not 100% sure where he was going to store the bike. He was considering the rear vestibule, but ended up putting it in the area in the rear of the Business Class car - where I believe wheelchairs can be accommodated when necessary. Once again, it wasn't a formal spot - but it worked well.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

Bike in Business Class.JPG

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The Bottom Line...[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks to some great employees with "can do" attitudes and who went out of their way to make me feel comfortable - I had a fantastic experience. Because it is a small train with consistent crews, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Hoosier State for bicyclists. The only caveat is that if you are a person who has a very expensive bike, and you are not comfortable with the bike in an "unofficial" location - than it may not be for you. But I wouldn't let that stop me.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

Skyline.JPG

Bike_TrainJPG.JPG

I find it surprising that they let people bring bikes onboard when there's no actual place to store them. Trying to fit bikes where you'd put someone in a wheelchair doesn't seem like a particularly good or sustainable strategy...

I find it surprising that they let people bring bikes onboard when there's no actual place to store them. Trying to fit bikes where you'd put someone in a wheelchair doesn't seem like a particularly good or sustainable strategy...
People use that space for luggage often on the NER (as have I). Of course, if a wheelchair pax boards and needs the space, then everything needs to be moved. The conductors have manifests letting them know if there are any wheelchair pax boarding down the line.

Amen. It's not rocket surgery. Bikes do not need dedicated spaces and special racks (although it's nice when it's there). IndyLions had a great trip, made possible by on board staff who solved problems rather than invent them. Having bikes and wheelchairs share space is perfectly sustainable, so long as everyone knows that if push comes to shove, wheelchairs have priority. It is standard operating procedure on many public transportation systems.

It's all about knowing the options, and picking the most convenient one available. For example:

Plan A - put it in random dead space (an unused sleeper in this case, might be the lower level of a Superliner, might be a largish baggage area, maybe the lower level of a cab/coach, like on the Surfliners).

Plan B - put it in a wheel chair area. Move it if necessary. Or hold onto your bike and stand next to the dude in the wheelchair, and maybe make a new friend.

Plan D - find some space in back of a seat or at the back of an end car.

Plan C - put it in the rear vestibule.

Plan E - take the front wheel off, pad it with whatever spare clothes you have (cyclists usually have some) and wedge it into/around a luggage rack.

Plan F - put it in the aisle next to your seat (or stand next to it) at the back of an end car and hold onto it until something better opens up.

Plan G - sit down on the platform and cry while the train leaves without you (in 40+ years of using bikes on public transportation, I've never seen this happen, anywhere in the world, on planes, trains or buses, but life can be hard sometimes and I accept the risk).

Other than Plan G, I've done all of these things (and a few others) and the earth kept on turning.

I'm glad you are not in charge; or I wouldn't have been able to bring my bike on board Illinois and Missouri trains for the past 25 years. There are plenty of places to store a bike. However, one of the best - the vestibule at the front or rear of the train - has become off limits due to nervous nellyism. Putting it in a deadheading sleeper in a new one.

I once placed my bike in the space at the front of a car and sat down next to it upon boarding in Chicago. Soon a wheel chair rider occupied the same area with no problem. A few minutes later a second wheel chair came aboard. I offered to move; but both said "No problem". Now there may be a good reason to put two wheel chairs in the same space; but at the time it seemed strange.

I'm glad to hear Union Station was able to accommodate the OP's bicycle. You never know when you will encounter bicycle derangement syndrome.

I love that you used a play weekend to train and bike. How fun!

We also love the Chicago metrolounge and it’s marvy showers.

That's a great plan and the fact that you were able to accomplish it is a tribute to the fine folk at Amtrak. As for myself, I would have kept it on the downlow so as to not advertise a good thing. But,I'm glad you did!

One of my friends lives in the building hidden away in the first picture on the right! All the construction (and personal matters) kept me from biking to work this summer.

Back