Booking Hotels

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the program. If it's an official program through the company (for example, if you're booking a Wyndham hotel and choosing Amtrak points as your earning type in Wyndham Rewards) you can book directly with the company or via any means where that company issues points. Some of them, particularly for rental cars, require using a certain coupon or corporate code to earn the extra points; in that case you'll need to enter that in at checkout.

However, if you're booking a hotel through RocketMiles, or wanting to earn the full points offered on Amtrak's new hotel/rental car portal, you'll have to book through that website to get the offer (either RocketMiles for the points through there, or Amtrak's portal for those offers.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried Rocketmiles and was not happy, especially with all the junk email they keep sending me.

So, I've switched to first doing a Google on 'hotels in xxx' and pick the hotel I want to stay at (accessible via mass transit from the Amtrak station), and then booking it through the AGR website ("earn" tab, then "hotels"). Last summer, they had a super deal with earning 'up to' 25,000 points per night! I got 2,500 points for a $165 one night stay on that deal. Without that deal, it's more like 500 points or something like that. The difference is you prepay with your credit card 'up front' when you book, vs credit card not charged until you stay. Although, if you 'guarantee' the room and don't show up, your card gets charged the full amount.

The difference is you prepay with your credit card 'up front' when you book, vs credit card not charged until you stay. Although, if you 'guarantee' the room and don't show up, your card gets charged the full amount.
But I find it much easier to change or cancel a hotel reservation, before the cancellation cutoff time, at a hotel if you do not prepay or book a non-refundable/non-changeable room. That is why I book direct with Hilton/Starwood/etc... - and still earn points.

Back