Recent Positive LSL Experience

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montana mike

Conductor
My wife and I rode the LSL from CHI to ROC a couple days ago and were very pleasantly surprised by several things. Yes, we had heard that the meal service had changed to the "boxed" items, but a couple other "niceties" made our trip that much more enjoyable. First, our car attendant Natalie could not have been more friendly and professional throughout the entire trip. She was proactive about asking about our needs, water and any special things we might want. She also kept us informed of our progress and helped with the luggage both getting on in CHI and in ROC. That's always a good way to start things off. After greeting us and going over the usual things, she then said that Amtrak was providing us with a glass of wine or beer from the Cafe car (located right next to our sleeper) and she handed us two "vouchers" for this purpose. That was a very nice and relaxing night cap. The attendant also let us know we had unlimited non-alcoholic drink access throughout our trip as well. The Cafe car person was also friendly, efficient and had decorated the Cafe car in a great Halloween motif too! After enjoying our wine we noticed that a quite complete and varied "amenities" pouch was in our Bedroom, filled with all sorts of toiletries. This was even nicer than I remember years ago--a big plus! Finally, the Breakfast the next morning. We only had the one option, in addition to a variety of drink options, the BIG box breakfast. Yes, it is cold, but unless you are a dyed in the wool "got to have my eggs and bacon" person this breakfast was way more than sufficient to get the day going and to fill almost anyone up. A large amount of sliced fresh fruit (cantalope, honey dew melon, Mango, Pineapple and grapes), a Kashi Bar, an enormous and tasty Blueberry Muffin, a yogurt cup with fresh Blueberries and granola and then a fresh wipe to clean your hands after eating all of this food. And, oh, yes, the box itself was quite sturdy and came in a very nice "tote bag" which was ours to keep and use (which we did.

All in all my wife and I give this effort two thumbs up. We only had the Breakfast, but this was a very positive experience.

I do applaud Amtrak for making this effort.

I am glad you enjoyed your trip!

You do not mention the dining car. Did you use the dining car at all?
He got his boxed breakfast from the "Sleeper Lounge"/Dining Car.
Dd he eat in the diner/lounge or did he have the SCA bring them their breakfasts? When Scott and I ate in the diner/lounge on the CL, we did not get the bag.

I am glad you enjoyed your trip!

You do not mention the dining car. Did you use the dining car at all?
He got his boxed breakfast from the "Sleeper Lounge"/Dining Car.
Dd he eat in the diner/lounge or did he have the SCA bring them their breakfasts? When Scott and I ate in the diner/lounge on the CL, we did not get the bag.
I interpreted his question as asking if he got anything from the dining car, not if he physically ate in it. I mean when I have my breakfast brought to the room on Amtrak, I would still say that my breakfast is from the dining car.

I am pleased to read this positive report. But, if the LSL had a new Diner, is this really the best use of such an expensive equipment?
This has been discussed a lot, and in my opinion, it is quite poor use of cars which cost a few million a piece and which we have been waiting on for many years. However I would note that a ViewDiner is a much nicer place to eat a meal or relax than an AmCan Cafe/Business car or diner-lite. So it hasn't totally gone to waste, but still could be used a lot better.

Was the option given to have it in your room? I’ll be on 449 soon in the Boston sleeper and I’m not sure I’m looking forward to the 7-car trek to get the boxed breakfast.

Yes, both our car attendant and the Diner/Lounge person said we could have had our meal in our room. I do agree that the beautiful, shiny. new Diner did seem to be a wee bit of an overkill for our "boxed breakfast", but it was indeed a nice setting to enjoy our meal and the attendant was eager to try to make our experience as pleasant as possible.

Yes, both our car attendant and the Diner/Lounge person said we could have had our meal in our room. I do agree that the beautiful, shiny. new Diner did seem to be a wee bit of an overkill for our "boxed breakfast", but it was indeed a nice setting to enjoy our meal and the attendant was eager to try to make our experience as pleasant as possible.
That's really saying something, as many Amtrak employees are bearing the brunt of Anderson's "enhanced" dining experiment. Reassignments, doubling work load, outright job losses. I'm not so sure I'd be "as pleasant as possible" under the circumstances.

Yes, it is cold, but unless you are a dyed in the wool "got to have my eggs and bacon" person this breakfast was way more than sufficient to get the day going and to fill almost anyone up.
For me it's not about insisting on eggs or bacon so much as the poor value of looking down at a single option cardboard box of cold food courtesy of a one way ticket that costs more than flying first class.

Yes, it is cold, but unless you are a dyed in the wool "got to have my eggs and bacon" person this breakfast was way more than sufficient to get the day going and to fill almost anyone up.
For me it's not about insisting on eggs or bacon so much as the poor value of looking down at a single option cardboard box of cold food courtesy of a one way ticket that costs more than flying first class.
It's a balsa wood box, not a cardboard box. That's how it was made "premium." Never mind the lack of any variety for breakfast, or a single hot option, or even a decent amount of protein in the box compared to the amount of carbs. You're supposed to be impressed that they sprung for the balsa wood instead of cardboard.

It's a balsa wood box, not a cardboard box. That's how it was made "premium." Never mind the lack of any variety for breakfast, or a single hot option, or even a decent amount of protein in the box compared to the amount of carbs. You're supposed to be impressed that they sprung for the balsa wood instead of cardboard.
You're also supposed to be impressed that it has the words "fresh" and "contemporary" in the name. We all know that anything claimed to be "contemporary" must automatically be a massive upgrade and a wonderful experience.
default_wacko.png

I didnt mind the food and certainly the dining car itself didnt know if I was eating a cold boxed meal or bacon and eggs. Lots of people sat together like on any other LD train. I didnt miss having a smiling server or a grumpy one.

I agree with your post its a poor value looking down at a single option.

Back