Improving NYC Area Transit

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew

OBS Chief
1. Why isn't there a direct subway link to JFK Airport in NYC? Would it make sense to extend the A Train from Lefferts BLVD to JFK Airport?

2. Regarding The Hudson Tunnel Project, would it make sense for the local contributions to be increased from 50% to 60%?

1. Why isn't there a direct subway link to JFK Airport in NYC? Would it make sense to extend the A Train from Lefferts BLVD to JFK Airport?

2. Regarding The Hudson Tunnel Project, would it make sense for the local contributions to be increased from 50% to 60%?
The time to ask that has come and gone...the current setup with the AirTrain linking to two subway lines will have to suffice.

It may be too late to alter the plans for a similar setup at LGA Airport, as well, instead of extending the 'N' line there...

As for who pays for the Hudson tunnel...that's politics's, and I don't have the answer....

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's worth it to build out tracks and subway facilities at the airport, when you already have the autonomous and pretty fast AirTrain JFK in place. JMO.

It’s crazy to think that there was no rail link to JFK until 2004 or ‘05. I think EWR’s Airtrain opened about the same time, as horrific as that thing is. LGA’s will go the wrong direction to Willets Point.

It’s crazy to think that there was no rail link to JFK until 2004 or ‘05. I think EWR’s Airtrain opened about the same time, as horrific as that thing is. LGA’s will go the wrong direction to Willets Point.
EWR Airtrain opened in 1996 as just an airport circulator connecting terminals and parking lots.

The extension to Newark Airport Rail Station opened in 2000.

EWR Airtrain opened in 1996 as just an airport circulator connecting terminals and parking lots.

The extension to Newark Airport Rail Station opened in 2000.
A bit of an off topic question, but why are so many of the world's airport people movers monorails? Just 'cause they look cool?

A bit of an off topic question, but why are so many of the world's airport people movers monorails? Just 'cause they look cool?
It is not clear that so many are monorails anyway. Many are rubber tired vehicles on two rails. For example, none of the many people movers at Orlando are monorails, even though people mistakenly call them monorails, since I suppose they are in a Disney state of mind. :) The system at SFO is also not a monorail. The substantial system at Frankfurt isn't monorail either. They all, however, are automated and unstaffed systems. Some would argue that the Newark monorail seems to require as many human beings if not more than what would have been required to just have an OPTO system, to keep it going. But that is another matter.

Newark was monorail to get the small enough footprint to fit them in the notch in the terminal buildings. This was a mistake, since it was also a part of a diabolical plot on part of Port Authority planners to ensure that PATH will never make it into the terminal areas of EWR. This has been documented well by Phil Craig, erstwhile NJ-ARP Board member and transportation planner for Northern Jersey who fought that decision but lost. As it stands the EWR Monorail is slated for dismantling and replacement by a more substantial system as part of the multi-billion dollar EWR rebuilding program that is taking shape. 

diabolical plot 
I got the impression from my father that there was a "diabolical plot" in many cities to keep transit out of airports, in favor of taxis and rental cars.  San Francisco is one example--why doesn't BART go directly to SFO?  In Seattle, I wonder why the light rail is across a parking lot from the terminal instead of on, over, or even under the road fronting the terminal.

I think in Honolulu, the new rapid transit will go right to the terminal at Daniel K. Inouye International Airport.

I got the impression from my father that there was a "diabolical plot" in many cities to keep transit out of airports, in favor of taxis and rental cars.  San Francisco is one example--why doesn't BART go directly to SFO?  In Seattle, I wonder why the light rail is across a parking lot from the terminal instead of on, over, or even under the road fronting the terminal.

I think in Honolulu, the new rapid transit will go right to the terminal at Daniel K. Inouye International Airport.
Atlanta's MARTA heavy rail goes right to the terminal building close to baggage claim. The train arrives upstairs, escalators, stairs or elevator to ground level, out through the turnstiles and you're in the  main terminal.

I got the impression from my father that there was a "diabolical plot" in many cities to keep transit out of airports, in favor of taxis and rental cars.  San Francisco is one example--why doesn't BART go directly to SFO? 
BART's served SFO for the last 15 years.  The station is in the International Terminal on the Departures Level, G Gates side. 

Back