Andy Byfords plan for the MTA on 60 Minutes 10/21

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope the MTA gets the funding needed to implement the modernization of the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
$40 Billion is not really easy to come by - even over 10 years. That's 4x Amtrak's annual operating subsidy for the entire national network. Granted, MTA carries 6x as many people in a day that Amtrak carries in a year, but it's still a LOT of money.

My quick math shows that if they raise the fare to $5/trip, and keep ridership, they can afford it.

$40 Billion is not really easy to come by - even over 10 years. That's 4x Amtrak's annual operating subsidy for the entire national network.
Amtrak gets a $10 billion subsidy? Didn't they get like $1.8 billion this year and it was a record amount?

$40 Billion is not really easy to come by - even over 10 years. That's 4x Amtrak's annual operating subsidy for the entire national network.
Amtrak gets a $10 billion subsidy? Didn't they get like $1.8 billion this year and it was a record amount?
$40 Bil over 10 years is $4 B/yr, which is 4x $1B which is the typical subsidy.
Yes, this year's 1.8B is an anomaly that seems to not be enough to keep food on the table [in the diner on the LSL & CL].

$40 Bil over 10 years is $4 B/yr, which is 4x $1B which is the typical subsidy.
Yes, this year's 1.8B is an anomaly that seems to not be enough to keep food on the table [in the diner on the LSL & CL].
Ah, I see. Was confused by the (in retrospective very obvious) phrasing.
default_smile.png

My quick math shows that if they raise the fare to $5/trip, and keep ridership, they can afford it.
And who's gonna go for that?
I would. And I'd pay a tax on a ticket, too, just like I do to fly. Or drive on a toll road.
Do you know how many barriers that would raise? Many people can barely afford to pay for one trip on the subway or the bus. Plus, the system will undoubtedly lose ridership, so I'd venture to say the net change would be a loss. I don't see this happening anytime in the near future.

I personally think that that would be a really bad move. In fact, the current $2.75 is too high for a lot of people. Let's say you are a four person family taking the subway round-trip somewhere. At $2.75 per ride, you'll be spending $22 for that round-trip. If you have a limited income, that can really add up. If you hiked it to $5, that four person round-trip now costs $40. For public transit which many people need to take at least twice per day, every day, I think that that's just way too high.

I said that tongue in cheek, hence the "and keep ridership". But to Cpotisch's point, you're absolutely right. $5 to go one stop is ridiculous. They would need to (and railfans will hate this) make the price distance based like everything in Japan and the D.C. Metro. It's the fairest fare, which sadly those who can afford it the least live the furthest away from the city.

I think part of the beauty of the NYC subway, and the fact that they have such high ridership, is the fact that you can go anywhere for $2.75.

I think part of the beauty of the NYC subway, and the fact that they have such high ridership, is the fact that you can go anywhere for $2.75.
Agreed. You don't need to plan in advance and figure out where you're going and how much it will cost. You don't have to pay extra if you miss your stop or have to change your route because of a service disruption or anything like that. You are "free", knowing that it's always $2.75.

I took a brief look at it and I am glad to say that it seems like they did an uncharacteristically good job for a mainstream outlet doing a report on rail service. I usually end up cringing a lot more.

Agreed. You don't need to plan in advance and figure out where you're going and how much it will cost. You don't have to pay extra if you miss your stop or have to change your route because of a service disruption or anything like that. You are "free", knowing that it's always $2.75.
I appreciate the fact that there is simplicity. But I think we're at a time where fair pricing to increase revenue to preserve and maintain The Beast is vastly necessary.

I'm try to drum up some comparisons in a bit about how it could save short haulers money.  IE: $1.50 to stay on Manhattan, incrementing as you go further out. I think the gating and ticket system is ready for it. 

Back