Pepsi Can?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The previous paint scheme (red white and blue stripe) was similar to the old Pepsi can logo.

For context:

9604517990_d18fc8a1a1_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been pulled by quite a few of these engines. But mostly when being added on and off trains. However on the road I've seen one lead the Empire Builder before in Seattle east.

From what I’ve heard, these engines are dog slow in revenue passenger service. These have 12 cylinders making 3200 hp, minus parasitic loss for HEP which can put it down as low as 2100 or 2200 available for traction. I guess routing that remaining horsepower through DC traction motors is the big difference from the P32ACDM, which I have not heard bad things about and is seemingly able to accelerate to 110 with a train fairly quickly from my experiences on the Empire corridor. Do the Dash 8s also load slower or something?

In locomotive model designation's, the letter 'P' somewhere, is usually an indication that a locomotive is equipped for passenger train support...in the steam heat era, it had a steam generator, in the HEP era, either a separate HEP engine generator, or a means of tapping the main engine for HEP....

In locomotive model designation's, the letter 'P' somewhere, is usually an indication that a locomotive is equipped for passenger train support...in the steam heat era, it had a steam generator, in the HEP era, either a separate HEP engine generator, or a means of tapping the main engine for HEP....
Ah, just like "F40PHn" F (body style) 40 P(Passenger) H(HEP) and then n "2/2D/3" etc.

The "pepsi can" locomotives however can get difficult tho... as they have a couple different names. GE calls them either Dash 8-32BWH or B32-8WH, Amtrak calls them P32-8, and some folks call the P32-8WH. Personally I prefer the call them via the GE name, B32-8WH as it keeps confusion down with the P32-ACDM.

peter

Story has it that when General Electric had production issues with the P-40 engines, they persuaded Amtrak to accept modified freight engines to "tide 'em over".

As a goodwill gesture, GE agreed to livery the P-32's anyway Amtrak wanted 'em for no additional cost over a "basic Black".

The Pepsi Can, a railfan or maybe a craft employee name, is what came to pass.

Just a story AFAIC.

Lots of food-related names have made it into the Amtrak lexicon. The AEM-7 electric locomotives that were used on the NEC were known, alternately, as “Swedish Meatballs” or “Toasters”.

Lots of food-related names have made it into the Amtrak lexicon. The AEM-7 electric locomotives that were used on the NEC were known, alternately, as “Swedish Meatballs” or “Toasters”.
I believe "Sweedish Meatballs" is a more generic term for the locomotive itself... Bioth SEPTA and NJ Transit used them extensively. NJ Transit called them (officially) ALP-44 units. They were manufactured by ABB Traction, a subsidiary of the ABB Group... a Sweedish and Swiss conglomerate co. I think it was the Sweedish part of the conglomerate (Aesa) that made them. Hence, "Sweedish Meatballs."

NJ_Transit_ABB_ALP-44M_4430.jpg

I thought I had a close-up picture of the "Pepsi Can" on the California Zephyr in May 1994, but it turns out my close-up is of the lead unit, which I thought was more exciting. But I found this shot, which is also interesting because of the express cars:

IMG_7409.jpg

Back