Live trip report. Chicago to Portland and back.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For past several years I always celebrate Columbus Day weekend taking a train trip. This year I will be flying to Portland on Friday October 5. Saturday I return to Chicago on 28.

After my first 5 weeks of elementary school as a teacher, I’m ready for a train ride. I’ve always taught high school before. So watching the sometimes orderly lines of kids pass by in the hall remind me of trains. An orderly line causes me to think, Highball Ms Jones’s class. A disorderly class causes me to think, Ms Smith’s class, defect detector stop your train now.

Out the door at 4:10. Unbelievably light traffic and I’m parked at union station by 4:45 with plenty of time to catch the 5:01 Antioch train to O’Hare transfer. I arrive there about 5:40. My flight departs at 7:57 and is already noted as 20 minutes late.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0648.JPG

This bus came. Driver performed down to standards. Pulled up with the sign showin ohare all terminals. I wait for the passengers to get off. I go up the stairs and He looks at me like I’m an idiot. And says this bus is out of service. He did this purposely. So I told him to go on and be useless.

Ordered a lift and after a wrong turn sitting in traffic. Never again with this bus shuttle mess.

Ultimately departed close to two hours late. Thunderstorms with lightning caused ramp operations to cease. Then there was a line of planes waiting to take off. United crew was friendly and efficient. I slept 3 out 4 hours so first class was worth it. I woke up with a start and managed to spill the remains of my ginger ale on seat mate. Glad he was understanding.

Lyft ride was interesting. Driver wanted me to put seatbelt on and I was in the back seat. Actually a good safety measure. He explained that “it’s Portland and it’s raining.”

Lyft ride was interesting. Driver wanted me to put seatbelt on and I was in the back seat. Actually a good safety measure. He explained that “it’s Portland and it’s raining.”
You don't usually put your seatbelt on when you're in the back seat? Not to be "that person" but you should always wear a seatbelt, regardless of where you are or what the weather is. Jus' saying.

You don't usually put your seatbelt on when you're in the back seat? Not to be "that person" but you should always wear a seatbelt, regardless of where you are or what the weather is. Jus' saying.
You are that person. Just saying.

You are that person. Just saying.
default_mosking.gif

Anyone riding in my car will wear their seatbelt....if they don't care about their own safety, I care. About their's and mine....
default_wink.png

Anyone riding in my car will wear their seatbelt....if they don't care about their own safety, I care. About their's and mine....
default_wink.png
Same here.

I am actually on record for having ejected someone from my car on the side of a highway for refusing to wear a seatbelt. After getting tossed out he relented, crawled back in and put on his seatbelt. He somehow thought I was kidding until I stopped the car and told him to get out. He asked me how he was going to get to the next town. I told him “ not my problem” and started driving off when the haughty attitude changed. It takes one of each kind to make this world I suppose. [emoji57]

I’m talking about in the back seat ladies. It’s probably better to wear it in the back seat as well as front seat. In most states the law is that passengers in the front seat must wear a seat belt or the driver receives a ticket. At least that’s the case in Illinois. It’s non-negotiable imho that one must wear it on the passenger seat because the driver could be ticketed as well as the safety issues with front seat.

I didn’t argue or complain, I complied and said it was interesting because that was the first time a Lyft driver or cab driver made this request.

Now if you are interested in hearing more about my trip on 28 I’ll continue with that once onboard. I enjoy talking about traveling experiences not arguing with a bunch of old women who have nothing better to do than annoy.

I am actually on record for having ejected someone from my car on the side of a highway for refusing to wear a seatbelt. After getting tossed out he relented, crawled back in and put on his seatbelt. He somehow thought I was kidding until I stopped the car and told him to get out. He asked me how he was going to get to the next town. I told him “ not my problem” and started driving off when the haughty attitude changed. It takes one of each kind to make this world I suppose. [emoji57]
That reminds me of when, as the story goes, my mom stopped her car and made one of my brother's friends get out and pick up whatever he tossed out his window. This was back in the 60's - pre Earth Day.
default_smile.png

I’m talking about in the back seat ladies. It’s probably better to wear it in the back seat as well as front seat. In most states the law is that passengers in the front seat must wear a seat belt or the driver receives a ticket. At least that’s the case in Illinois. It’s non-negotiable imho that one must wear it on the passenger seat because the driver could be ticketed as well as the safety issues with front seat.

I didn’t argue or complain, I complied and said it was interesting because that was the first time a Lyft driver or cab driver made this request.

Now if you are interested in hearing more about my trip on 28 I’ll continue with that once onboard. I enjoy talking about traveling experiences not arguing with a bunch of old women who have nothing better to do than annoy.
Bunch of old women? Really?

Back to trains. We are waiting for 14 which is running late. Amtrak status maps shows 14 in the cascades not reaching Eugene. I suspect the engine with gps was set out and now being pulled by a freight because it’s moving at 30 mph. Amtrak app says 14 arrives at4:53.

The sca in the picture posed. I asked permission before taking it. That was nice of him. I wanted a picture of the platform and train but I always show respect in these situations. He came around and introduced himself. Going to be a good trip. Only issue is a dirty window. But no big deal. I’m on lower level left side. Will clean it at a smoke stop off there is a chance. Lol.

Some pictures. IMG_0653.JPGIMG_0655.JPG

Nice way to lose half your readers.

Nice way to lose half your readers.
That’s the point. Get rid of the annoying ones. We all know that there a a few people on here who like to scold and create drama.

Back