22 Texas Eagle or 422 Texas Eagle? Quick answer?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austruck

Service Attendant
Hey, howdy again!

I'm in the middle of a reservation here and I have a choice of the 22 or the 422 TE. Everything else looks the same, including price.

Is there a difference? Do you guys prefer one over the other?? ACK, didn't expect THIS in the middle of booking this trip!
default_smile.png

Thanks! That certainly makes it easy. (Going from Pittsburgh to Houston and back.)
Wait! Either 21/22 or 421/422 Texas Eagle will take you between Chicago and San Antonio. If you are going to Houston, you will need train #1/2 the Sunset Limited from San Antonio.

Did I miss something? Perhaps your original question was specifically the Chicago San Antonio portion
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
In the dozen or more times I've ridden the TE on #421 or #422, I've been in the sleeper to LAX. It's at the rear of the train STL-SAS (with the thru coach ahead of that), and 2nd from the rear CHI-STL as the single coach train #321 is put behind the LAX sleeper and dropped/added at STL. The 'regular' TE (#21/22) sleepers are in the front, and with the removal of the baggage car, the dorm/sleeper is adjacent to the locomotive and the full sleeper directly behind.

So, book #421/422 if you prefer a quiet night away from the horn.

Because austruck will probably be using the Thruway bus connection direct between Longview and Houston to catch her train, as opposed to detouring west through San Antonio. So between Longview and Chicago, it makes no difference. They are in fact the same train; the only difference is whether you ride towards the front (21/22) or rear (421/422) of the train.

With that said, pick 421 and 422 (especially if you're in a sleeper)...it puts you that much farther from the often-annoying locomotive horn noise.

Here we go again. Between Chicago and San Antonio, it's the same train. 421/422 refers to the through coach and sleeper that continue to and from Los Angeles three days a week, as part of the Sunset Limited. The Eagle usually consists of a Trans-Dorm, a full sleeper, and two coaches (and of course the SSL and CCC). On the days that 421/422 is not running, 21/22 refers to the entire train (except for the #322 STL-CHI coach). When 421/422 is running, 21/22 refers to the non-through coach and the Trans-Dorm. This is why when 421 is running, 21 only offers coach and roomettes. You need to book 421 to get the H room, full Bedroom, or Family Bedroom.

But put simply, when traveling exclusively east of San Antonio, it doesn't make a difference. If you're traveling at all west of San Antonio, you need 421/422.

On #421 Days from CHI the #21 Sleeper is the Transdorm with Crew ( No Bedrooms) and the #421 Sleeper is the Regular Revenue Sleeper,with Both Sleepers on the front between CHI and San Antonio.

As was said, there is a Bus Bridge between

Longview and Houston.

Since its the same price Id book the #421.

The good news is that there still is a Diner that serves Real Food.( I just rode #21 Monday/Tues to Austin and the Land and Sea andSalmon was Excellent!)

In the dozen or more times I've ridden the TE on #421 or #422, I've been in the sleeper to LAX. It's at the rear of the train STL-SAS (with the thru coach ahead of that)
Actually the through-sleeper is usually between the Trans-Dorm and the diner (CCC). Sometimes it gets put in the back, but not usually.

The 'regular' TE (#21/22) sleepers are in the front, and with the removal of the baggage car, the dorm/sleeper is adjacent to the locomotive and the full sleeper directly behind.

So, book #421/422 if you prefer a quiet night away from the horn.
The baggage car is still on the TE. You're thinking of the Sunset.

Actually the through-sleeper is usually between the Trans-Dorm and the diner (CCC). Sometimes it gets put in the back, but not usually.
I'm not saying it's never there (between transdorm and diner), but I've never seen it there (at least on 421/422). It's always been at the rear. Every single time I've taken it (which, I admit, is something like .02% of all scheduled departures).

Because austruck will probably be using the Thruway bus connection direct between Longview and Houston to catch her train, as opposed to detouring west through San Antonio. So between Longview and Chicago, it makes no difference. They are in fact the same train; the only difference is whether you ride towards the front (21/22) or rear (421/422) of the train.

With that said, pick 421 and 422 (especially if you're in a sleeper)...it puts you that much farther from the often-annoying locomotive horn noise.
Sorry I didn't offer more information. I didn't realize I should have! YES, I'm using the thruway bus connection from Longview in both directions. A friend's picking me up there.

I've booked the #21 heading from PGH/CHI to HOUSTON (via Longview bus) and the #422 coming back (also via Longview). I have roomettes on all legs.
Outstanding!
Hopefully you'll be in the Sleeper that's on the Front of the Train on #422 instead of on the rear so you are close to the Diner(CCC) and Sightseer Lounge instead of having to schlep through several Coaches to eat and Sightsee.( Arkansas and Missouri will mostly be in the Dark if on time.)

The Thruway Buses to Shrevport and Houston park @ the West end of the Station on the Street. I suggest you NOT check your Bags so you can go straight to the Bus and get a good seat on the Bus.( your Bags go under the Bus, you can carry on small items).

There will be a Lunch stop between Longview and Houston in Nachodoches @ a Truck Stop with Fast Food Choices. You'll have eaten Breakfast before the Longview stop on #21.

I've booked the #21 heading from PGH/CHI to HOUSTON (via Longview bus) and the #422 coming back (also via Longview). I have roomettes on all legs.
Sorry, so you're booked on the Capitol Limited from Pittsburgh to Chicago, and then TE #21 from Chicago to Longview? 'Cause from the way you phrased that it sounds to me like you think you'll be on the TE the whole way...

Yep,you'll be on #29 the Cap Ltd. PGH-CHI leaving @ O-Dark-Thirty and get the Fresh and Contemporary Boxed Breakfast.

Take Advantage of the Nice,New Metro Lounge during the Layover in Chicago.( the Less said about the PGH Dungeon the better)

Also I suggest you use a RedCap to get to/from the Platform if you're not familiar with Union Station.Best $5 you can spend while visiting Large,Busy Stations.

Quick added question. Is the Longview to Houston bus a full sized bus?  Riding in February, hoping it's a long distance bus with facilities.

Quick added question. Is the Longview to Houston bus a full sized bus?  Riding in February, hoping it's a long distance bus with facilities.
Good question. If its like the Killeen-Temple shuttle it will be a 16 pax van. However thats a long drive between Longview and Houston, I hope it is a motor coach.

Per the OP, this has to close to the top in the most asked question here. Is it 421/422 in the computer system because its only three days a week?

The Longview to Houston /Galveston Shuttle is a full sized  Charter Bus. The Shrevport-Longview Shuttle is mostly a Van, but depending on the Passenger Load can be a Bus.

And the 421/422 Trains are indeed a 3 times a week Cutout  Coach and Sleeper between Chicago and LA that are switched to the Sunset Ltd(421)/Texas Eagle(422) in San Antonio. 

Per the OP, this has to close to the top in the most asked question here. Is it 421/422 in the computer system because its only three days a week?
I don't see "three days a week" being the reason. Besides being only three days a week, 421/422 describes the LAX/CHI "through" cars on both the Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle. I believe that is the reason for 421/422.

It's a full-sized bus with restroom, but the driver will probably tell you to use the restroom only in a dire emergency since (as he said) it's directly over the engine compartment and can generate the most unpleasant odors...

These buses (in recent experience) have at-seat electrical outlets and on-board WI-fi. The WI-fi is slow and spotty; I had better coverage from my T-mobile unlimited data plan. But, at least it's there. A 20-minute stop is made at a truck stop in Nacogdoches both northbound and southbound; you can stretch your legs, use a real restroom, and grab a snack. You can eat it on board but be sure to dispose of your garbage and leftovers properly; the drivers are very particular about this (which is good).

I am still confused when you say book either 421 or 422. :wacko:

Since they’re the same train as 21 or 22, and both stop in Longview, why should someone take 421 or 422 specifically? Many times 421/422 costs more than 21/22. My recommendation is to choose the one with the lower fare.

If the fare on 421 is $309, but on 21 it’s only $234, why do you say to take 421 only? :huh:

I am still confused when you say book either 421 or 422. :wacko:

Since they’re the same train as 21 or 22, and both stop in Longview, why should someone take 421 or 422 specifically? Many times 421/422 costs more than 21/22. My recommendation is to choose the one with the lower fare.

If the fare on 421 is $309, but on 21 it’s only $234, why do you say to take 421 only? :huh:
Most people seemed to be suggesting 421/422 because it’s further away from the engine and horn. 21/22 is the Trans-Dorm (second car, after the baggage car) between San Antonio and Chicago, while 421/422 is the full sleeper (third car). And I guess some people may or may not prefer the Trans-Dorm itself, so that’s another factor.

Back