At the tail end of our Glacier NP vacation last week, we drove into Whitefish on our way back to Spokane.

The former Great Northern depot there is a gem. It has three tenants: Amtrak, a town historical museum, and various car rental agencies (one of which is oldest Hertz agency in the U.S.). It's very clean and spacious inside. Outside the architecture reminds you of the chalet-like GN lodges in Glacier Park.

The depot is within easy walking distance of many shops and eateries in the heart of the town. Whitefish is a very trendy winter and summer destination.

Also by the depot are two railroad curiosities: a rare NW3 switcher painted in a traditional GN scheme and the "Bruck." The latter is a custom-built bus the GN used to shuttle passengers between Whitefish and nearby Kalispell in place of a "doodlebug." Kalispell was bypassed circa 1904 when GN built a new mainline to the north of Kalispell.

I have never stopped overnight in Whitefish, but you are tempting me...

You want some good rates? Try the ski resort during the spring off-season; after the snow melts and the lifts stop running but before things warm up and dry up enough for summer activities. You may have to go through a broker, but you can find some real bargains. I forget exactly how much we paid in 2014, but my dad & I shared a two-bedroom condo with fireplace, living room and full kitchen for a week for less than what I would normally expect to pay for two nights in a Marriott or similar.

You want some good rates? Try the ski resort during the spring off-season; after the snow melts and the lifts stop running but before things warm up and dry up enough for summer activities. You may have to go through a broker, but you can find some real bargains. I forget exactly how much we paid in 2014, but my dad & I shared a two-bedroom condo with fireplace, living room and full kitchen for a week for less than what I would normally expect to pay for two nights in a Marriott or similar.

But is it actually a good place to visit and enjoy at that time of year?

But is it actually a good place to visit and enjoy at that time of year?

I may be biased here, having lived in the flathead valley before, but I would say that the shoulder season for tourists is a great time in the valley, as the locals are less stressed by visiting throngs at that time.

I just got a pop-up ad for Whitefish, and thought this would be a good time to post my picture of Whitefish.  Here's the eastbound Empire Builder on January 10, 2017 running with three locomotives, two sleepers and two coaches in the Seattle section, and an extra SSL deadheading on the rear.

IMG_6597.jpg