Capitol Limited+Pennsylvanian (and a bus) to NYP for Gathering

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its been a while since Ive done a trip log - havent done as many trips as I used to, and my only Amtrak trips this year so far have been a quick weekend trip on the Wolverine to CHI, a couple Surfliner runs while in SoCal, and a little Troy, MI - Ann Arbor run. Wish I could do more, but theres only so many times you can go to Chicago, and the LD trains can be pricy to travel alone in a roomette, with deteriorating service quality to go with it. I did take VIA to Toronto, which was interesting - I do want to take VIA to Montreal and the Canadian at some point...

For my trip to the Gathering, Im taking my first eastern LD trip in 6 years - moving to San Diego made these trains a much farther journey, and since moving back to Michigan I hadnt had a reason to go to the East Coast until now. This may end up being my last LD eastern trip for a while - overnight coach is becoming harder to handle, and the sleeper prices for the LSL/CL are hardly worth it for the short trip and inferior dining. Plus a flight doesnt cost too much more than a coach ticket, and I can tolerate that (though I do like riding the train...)

To get to New York, Im taking a Thruway bus from Ann Arbor, MI to Toledo, the Capitol Limited to Pittsburgh, and transferring to the Pennsylvanian to NYP. Thats my first time on the Pennsylvanian - took it because the more direct route (the Lake Shore Limited) boards at TOL at 3:20am compared to the relatively-more-civilized boarding time of 11:49pm of the Capitol Limited and arrives later in NYP than the Pennsy (and without a sleeper/full dining service, the lack of sleepers/diners on the Pennsylvanian is a non-factor). I also wanted to see something new, and Ive done the Capitol Limited+Regional going east before. I will be taking the LSL back, though, as it offers the best timing westbound and I havent taken the NYP-ALB segment before.

The Thruway bus was relatively uneventful. I took a local bus to the station, and found the bus waiting there already 15 minutes before scheduled departure. After I boarded, the bus departed before its scheduled time - it looks like they just leave early all passengers on the manifest have boarded. We then made our way to Dearborn (which it left early as well) followed by Detroit. It did seem to take a somewhat roundabout route, even accounting for the fast that Ann Arbor to Toledo via Dearborn/Detroit is itself roundabout (it takes twice as long as driving direct by car). Not sure why -ultimately we arrived a few minutes behind the scheduled arrival in TOL, though still with plenty of time before #30 arrives. I checked its status - on arriving in TOL it seemed to be running 15 min late, which was a bit of a relief - I was concerned with the extremely late arrival of todays 29 into CHI. It has since lost another 15 min or so, which is annoying but tolerable as it just shortens my Pittsburgh layover. As long as I make the Pittsburgh connection to 42 Im OK...

The Toledo station seems to have undergone some changes since my last visit - Greyhound now stops here as well, and there is a Subway restaurant. Its a more substantial station than the Amshack in Ann Arbor, even though the latter services more trains and riders. Not a horrible station to wait in, though Id rather not be here too long. At around the time the train was scheduled to depart (though 30 min before the estimated departure) the station agent called up all the passengers for 30 to check in. They scanned our tickets and gave us all a seat check with our station code. At the moment, it looks like the train is 20 or so minutes away - hopefully it arrives soon and I can attempt to get some sleep in coach before Pittsburgh.

To be continued...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for "taking us along".
default_smile.png

Just curious, did you happen to notice which bus company provided the Thruway service?

The Capitol Limited arrived about as expected, around 12:20am. Went outside to get on and got in line, only to find out Pittsburgh was being directed to the last car. Eventually was given a seat assignment - luckily I happened to get the right-side window I preferred (for sleeping, not for scenery as it is pitch black outside). There was someone in my assigned seat, though they moved when I got there.

I got out my sleeping supplies (mask, earplugs, blanket, pillow) and attempted to sleep, though as I worried it didnt go very well. Its definitely difficult to get comfortable in coach, and in addition to that the stop in Cleveland was very noisy (even with earplugs). I dont remember that being the case on past CL trips - Pittsburgh is the only loud stop I remember in the wee hours of the morning. Before I knew it, we were arriving into Pittsburgh - I might have preferred a little more of a delay to arrive closer to the Penns departure (and get more time to attempt sleeping) but the passengers going beyond Pittsburgh are probably thankful there wasnt such a delay. Walked into the Pittsburgh station, and there are a number of people here waiting for the Pennsylvanian (or perhaps for transportation from the CL) - I dont recall this many getting off, though perhaps I was fast (I dont think this many would come this early for the Penn otherwise, as we were told boarding is at 7:10.)

I do think I was right to think this may be my last coach overnight and perhaps last eastern LD train for a while (technically second to last, as Im booked on the LSL in coach to return next week - may be tempted to upgrade, though at last check it was $505 for the last roomette, which just seems too high given I spent just a little more for two nights on the Zephyr with full meals last year). Even if I wasnt transferring in the wee hours of the mosrning, it just isnt comfortable, and the sleeper prices are just not in line with what you get on the eastern trains (plus TOLs LSL eastbound departure time basically rules out that train without a backtrack to CHI). Through cars on the Pennsylvanian would be great, though Im sure the sleeper pricing/dining amenities would have the same problems (plus Im not holding my breath for anything positive happening with Amtrak LD trains - just hoping for no more contemporary dining or bus bridges). Just waiting here until the Pennsylvanian departs - may get a coffee at Starbucks, but dont really feel like straying too far...

BTW, the company providing the Michigan-Toledo thruway service is Trinity Transportation.

Sorry, why didn't you go via Chicago instead of Toledo? Couldn't you have taken the Wolverine to the LSL or something, and have good calling times the whole way?

Yes, but then you burn an extra working day in travel in each direction, and I preferred to spend that time in NYC rather than backtracking to CHI. Also, I did want to ride the Pennsylvanian, and the calling times for the eastbound CL (if not too late) and westbound LSL really aren’t too bad. It’s more the sleeper cost/coach survivability that makes eastern LD trains attractive - if the costs had been less and/or there was full dining service, I may have done Cap sleeper+Regional EB and LSL sleeper WB...

It would be nice if Amtrak would let the connecting passenger's from the Capitol to the Pennsylvanian board upon arrival in Pittsburgh, to perhaps get a bit more sleep, but I suppose they can't, or won't let that happen until the train crew comes on duty, later....
default_unsure.png

While waiting for the Pennsylvanian, I saw AmtrakBlue, who had also been on 30 and was making the connection to the Pennsylvanian. I did end up walking over to Starbucks for a coffee during the layover - I know theres tons of great food options in Pittsburgh, but I didnt want to stray too far from the station (and really just needed coffee at that point in the morning). While out in Pittsburgh, I saw some of the Port Authority buses, which I found an odd branding for a transit system (it makes me think of the Port Authority of NY/NJ and their infamous bus terminal, even though Ive only heard stories about it). Eventually the train boarded and we were on our way.

The trip west of Harrisburg was fairly scenic - plenty of river views along the route, some mountains and tunnels, and of course the famous Horseshoe Curve. For lunch, the cafe car was the only option (as it would be on the CL/LSL as a coach passenger), and it happened to close at the worst time - right after noon, prime lunch time. It didnt reopen until after the Harrisburg stop, which was after 1pm due to some Norfolk Southern-induced delays (and they made a point of highlighting that this was Norfolk Southern caused in the PA announcement). Reminds me of when Norfolk Southern owned the Michigan Line east of Kalamazoo and caused all those slow orders on the Wolverine 7 or so years ago (before MDOT bought that line). Anyway, at that point I finally got something to eat...

East of Harrisburg, we began running faster, as we were now on Amtrak-owned rails, though still running on diesel power. At this point the train began to fill up quicker, and after Lancaster we soon found ourselves running alongside SEPTA commuter rail trains in the Philadelphia suburbs. We sped through many stations without stopping, and ultimately reached Philadelphia. At that point the power went out as they swapped the diesel locomotive for an electric to run on the NEC. An announcement was made that all tickets would be rescanned, which seemed a little odd as we were still the same train.

We backed out of Philadelphia, and then began running up the NEC to NYP, now running backwards and even faster than before. This segment made the early ones (particularly west of Harrisburg) feel sluggish by comparison. Had our first stop in Trenton after blowing through several more SEPTA stops without stopping, and have been continuing to speed up the NEC through New Jersey, now speeding past NJ Transit stations instead of SEPTA. It looks like we may be 15-0 min late to NYP, but that seems decent compared to the delays LD trains commonly experience (though Im not sure if the Pennsylvanian qualifies as an LD train, as it doesnt have sleepers and is state sponsored). All in all a decent trip, though once may be enough (barring through cars on the CL) due to the rough sleep situation - looking forward to getting some decent food and rest in NY before the Gathering.

While out in Pittsburgh, I saw some of the Port Authority buses, which I found an odd branding for a transit system (it makes me think of the Port Authority of NY/NJ and their infamous bus terminal, even though Ive only heard stories about it). Eventually the train boarded and we were on our way.
I assume at the Gathering, you will be riding the PATH subway -- just wait until you find out what the "PA" stands for.

When I lived in Pittsburgh some 20 years ago, the Port Authority actually rebranded as "Port Authority Gold," but dropped that eight years later.

While out in Pittsburgh, I saw some of the Port Authority buses, which I found an odd branding for a transit system (it makes me think of the Port Authority of NY/NJ and their infamous bus terminal, even though Ive only heard stories about it). Eventually the train boarded and we were on our way.
I assume at the Gathering, you will be riding the PATH subway -- just wait until you find out what the "PA" stands for.

When I lived in Pittsburgh some 20 years ago, the Port Authority actually rebranded as "Port Authority Gold," but dropped that eight years later.
I will second the fact that PABT is awful (it's so bad it makes Penn Station feel like CUS or LAUS), but PATH is perfectly pleasant. I've found that it's pretty clean and well maintained. Just saying.

I arrived in NYP as expected - about 20 min late. I recall someone saying that NYP was a zoo, and they were right - it is a zoo. I’ve been at CHI, LAX, and WAS before, but they don’t compare. It doesn’t help that I was arriving in the thick of rush hour. I eventually made my want through this zoo to the subway, where I had to take the 2 or 3 train downtown to where I’m staying. Bought a 7 day MetroCard at one of the kiosks, and eventually found the platform where these trains arrive. The hardest part of that was getting my bag through the turnstiles, which can be a chore... Soon after zI made it through , a 2 express train to Flatbush showed up, and I boarded, pretty sure that Flatbush was in Brooklyn (and the train was thus headed downtown, where I am staying) and that an express train would stop at Wall Street (it is Wall Street after all). Took that train to Wall St, and eventually made it through the crowds to the place I am staying at for the next week (I’ve been wanting to go to NYC, and the Gathering was a perfect opportunity to do so). Saw some kind of strike/picket involving CUNY (City University of New York) as well as street performers, but eventually made it to my destination.

Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow...

BTW - I was aware that PATH stands for Port Authority Trans-Hudson. I saw some PATH trains when we stopped at Newark Penn Station...

Yep, Flatbush is in Brooklyn. And if there's any doubt about what train you want, there will be signs that say which one is the uptown track and which one is the downtown track. I would recommend looking at the (admittedly intimidating) subway map before randomly boarding a train, but it worked out, so I guess that's all that really matters. See you this afternoon!

Back