Which would you take? SWC or CZ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an opportunity in late October to take either the Southwest Chief or the California Zephyr for the entire route distance, but only one way (from CHI to the west coast or vice-versa, but NOT both ways).

My options are:

1. CHI-LAX departing Fri Oct 19 or

2. CHI-EMY same date

3. LAX-CHI departing Saturday Oct 27 or

4. EMY-CHI departing same date

Price is a factor but far from the #1 factor. A roomette on the Chief is about $400 cheaper.

If price wasn’t your #1 factor - which of the 4 options would you choose and why?

Take the Zephyr. It arguably has the best scenery of any route in the Amtrak system, it's a longer ride, and I would take San Francisco over Los Angeles any day.

Usually I would say the Zephyr. More interesting route, more variety and more spectacular scenery, etc.

But the Chief may be on borrowed time, and riding over Raton pass while passing semaphores is something you may want to experience while you can.

Definitely the CZ! I have ridden it numerous times at different times of the year and it is always spectacular no matter the weather or season. I am biased of course but I would sure love to ride the SWC as I have never had the pleasure!

I'm going to buck the trend here and say the SWC. Primarily because I want to arrive in LAX and take the Coast Starlight all the way up the Calif.Coast, rather than beginning at Emeryville.

We'll see about the scenery. I'll watch some more YouTube videos of both routes and then make a decision,.

Great feedback everyone - thanks. Depending on where I need to start my week, it’s possible I could add the Starlight to the mix - kind of a hybrid option 5.

Fly to LAX Friday night

Weekend in LA

Sunday Starlight LAX-EMY

Mon-Fri Business in NoCal

Sat Zephyr EMY-CHI

That won’t work if I have a day of business in SoCal on Monday, obviously.

While I like San Francisco more - I’d really like to spend a weekend in LA. I’ve had several sightseeing trips to SFO, but my last LA weekend was 1991 (man, I’m getting old). And I really want to see Union Station - whether I ride a train to/from there or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
If price isn't a factor I'd go with the Zephyr from CHI- EMY, but $400 Will buy some great meals and entertainment in CHI or California!
I'd agree $400 is a lot of money. Plus it is a shorter time on the train. I'm not sure what I would choose between LA or San Fran if I had to choose one! For $400, you might have enough to book a CS between LAX-SJC and see both!

If it were me, given the current situation with the SWC’s future, I would ride it while I could.
What's the likelihood of the SWC's future at this point? Are there problems? I honestly haven't kept up with these things.

I have done both and like the scenery on the CZ better. However, if I had not traveled on either, I may ride the SWC now because of possible bus bridges in the future, or possible cancellation after 2018 as a result of lack of PTC on a portion of the route (or other issues).

I am scheduled to take the SWC (for the 3rd time westbound) in December this year.

That influenced the family's Christmas vacation plans. We had the same choice of SF or LA, and were going to take the CZ, because we've never done it in winter. But when it became apparent that the SWC might go away forever, we chose that because it's one of the few LD routes I haven't been on at all.

I'd do the SWC just because Anderson seems determined to kill it.

So, let me ask, then, if I were to take the CZ as opposed to the SWC, would I miss much on the Coast Starlight run between LAX and EMY? Would I lose any sleep over not seeing that stretch of the coast?

So, let me ask, then, if I were to take the CZ as opposed to the SWC, would I miss much on the Coast Starlight run between LAX and EMY? Would I lose any sleep over not seeing that stretch of the coast?
In my opinion, yes. I think the scenery along the coast near Santa Barbara is magnificent.

Thanks again for everybody’s feedback – here is where it ended up. Like everything else life is a compromise :)

As it turns out, I need to start my week in Northern California, and my wife and I really want to see Los Angeles on this trip – so we are flying to LA for a long weekend. We are not taking the Chief because my wife couldn’t get that many days off of work – so she needed to be involved in the flying portion of the trip.

Sunday morning – she is flying back to home, and I am hopping the Coast Starlight LA to Emeryville. I then have a full week of business in Northern California. As it turns out, my boss wants me back to work on Monday – so I won’t be able to take the Zephyr all the way back home. However – as a compromise I am taking the Zephyr Emeryville to Denver, and then flying home from Denver early Monday morning. That gets me to work by noon.

Overall I am pretty happy with that result. I am picking up two segments which I have not done before which are known for excellent scenery. I’m sure westbound on the Zephyr would be preferable, but I’m confident this will be quite good. As a sidenote, I previously did Chicago to Denver as part of the Desert Wind route back in 1992, so I’m not too disappointed that I won’t be doing that segment.

I got what I thought was an acceptable fare. $180 LA/EMY in a Roomette on the Starlight, and $550 EMY/DEN for the same on the Zephyr. My flights IND-LAX & DEN-IND added up to $400. Financially SWA is hard to beat, but there is more to life and travel than dollars and cents. I will truly enjoy the journey, just like I have on many past rail trips.

That's a good choice. Can't go wrong with that portion of the zephyr either way.

Going eastbound you get to descend the "big 10 curves" at dusk / twilight. Which will be a good way to end your trip!

Certainly the Zephyr scenery between EMY and Denver is the best by far, I don't rate the portion between Denver and Chicago at all, scenery wise...

Have a good trip!

Ed.

Certainly the Zephyr scenery between EMY and Denver is the best by far, I don't rate the portion between Denver and Chicago at all, scenery wise...

Have a good trip!

Ed.
Besides, most of it is in the dark...and, if you ever do ride the Southwest Chief bumper-to-bumper, you'll see everything between Chicago and Galesburg then!

I have an opportunity in late October to take either the Southwest Chief or the California Zephyr for the entire route distance, but only one way (from CHI to the west coast or vice-versa, but NOT both ways).

My options are:

1. CHI-LAX departing Fri Oct 19 or

2. CHI-EMY same date

3. LAX-CHI departing Saturday Oct 27 or

4. EMY-CHI departing same date

Price is a factor but far from the #1 factor. A roomette on the Chief is about $400 cheaper.

If price wasn’t your #1 factor - which of the 4 options would you choose and why?
I'd take the SWC because I like the scenery a lot better. But scenery is a matter of taste. If you like repetitive mountains and rather same-y canyons, take the CZ. If you like the red rocks of New Mexico and the cactuses of Arizona and the tumbleweeds of Kansas, take the SWC.

Back