California Zephyr still running three sleepers after Labor Day

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor
I've noticed that the California Zephyr is continuing to run three sleepers even after the normal cut down time of Labor Day. The Zephyr has reduced the number of coaches to two. Anyone with any knowledge if the Zephyr will be cut to two sleepers as in years past or continue to run three sleepers into the Fall and Winter.

I was booked on the second sleeper last December and they cut to just one sleeper during the first two or three weeks of December 2017. I ended up cancelling rather than ride in roomettes 9 or 10 or 18 in the transition sleeper and got a full refund. I will be traveling on both the Southwest Chief and California Zephyr late October to early November round trip on both to and from California from Chicago.

If Amtrak had the equipment 4 or 5 sleepers would be better. The fares for the bedrooms would pay for a SCA and the car mileage. Roomette sales just gravy !

Just a thought ---- If Amtrak ever orders more SLs could be one car in a consist cold be all bedroom ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought ---- If Amtrak ever orders more SLs could be one car in a consist cold be all bedroom ?
The Auto Train has some custom "Deluxe Sleepers", which only have Bedrooms on the upper-level. There aren't too many of those cars, but they do exist, and apparently do make sense on that route.

If Amtrak had the equipment 4 or 5 sleepers would be better. The fares for the bedrooms would pay for a SCA and the car mileage. Roomette sales just gravy !

Back in the days of Heritage cars, before Amfleet, Superliners, or Viewliners, those kinds of consists were not uncommon during peak travel dates. I miss the Heritage cars! Amtrak could have / should have done like our neighbor to the north did with them -- a heavy rehab / rebuild multiple times when needed. Still running strong and reliably.

Eh... The Superliners are quite nice. If we could have actually gotten a whole fleet of viewliner long distance equipment including coaches, Lounges, etc. I think we would have won.

Eh... The Superliners are quite nice. If we could have actually gotten a whole fleet of viewliner long distance equipment including coaches, Lounges, etc. I think we would have won.
My idea of a perfect train would have Superliner coaches and an SSL, but the sleepers have the same space and amenities of a Viewliner, with double windows a sink and toilet in each room. Obviously, they almost certainly couldn't fit all that in a bi-level, but considering this its just my dream train, I'm fine with that.
default_happy.png

I guess definitions of nice vary. My point of reference is walking from a California car into a Superliner car on the Capitol Corridor. It's like walking into a basement, and that's with Capitol Corridor standards of maintenance. The Superliners on the Starlight are even more tired looking, and that's at the beginning of a run. By the second day, forget about it.

I think the Superliner design is nicer for long distance travel than the single level heritage cars.

The freshness of the interior is somewhat luck of the draw. I haven't seen too many Amtrak cars that look toooooo bad except for the poor viewliner sleepers. That's not to say they are all in perfect shape. But I was speaking more into the basic design of the cars vs. heritage, rather than the current style and upkeep.

The refurbished Superliner I sleepers really aren't too bad. I like the faux-wood panelling and color scheme, and while it does feel a bit dated, I think it's a perfectly pleasant and aesthetically pleasing environment.

The refurbished Superliner I sleepers really aren't too bad. I like the faux-wood panelling and color scheme, and while it does feel a bit dated, I think it's a perfectly pleasant and aesthetically pleasing environment.
Agreed. I don't feel it looks particularly dated. I think a long distance train should feel a little vintage.... In that cool hip "shiplap" way. Ha.

I was following this topic which I began regarding the number of sleepers in the current California Zephyr consist. I am cancelling my following since the topic has now veered to be an evaluation and complaint about the Superliner equipment. My personal opinion is that the Superliner equipment is excellent for being 40 years old. I like riding the Viewliner sleepers but prefer the double decker Superliners. And Via Rail Canadian cars are no better to me and less comfortable in the cabin for 2. The old style roomettes on the Canadian have the best mattress and sleeping quality. And the Prestige is simple outrageously priced. I will not pay to ride in Prestige in Canada nor would I pay to ride Prestige in the USA on Amtrak. For now, I am a genuine Amtrak believer and enjoy my trips on the Superliner sleepers especially the California Zephyr. Under the current political regimes, I'm not expecting an upgrade for equipment on the western long distance trains. Let's support keeping them running for now.

I agree that the actual bed and bedding is more comfortable in the heritage sleeper roomettes on VIA, but I am much more comfortable in the daytime in an Amtrak Roomette. It feels much less claustrophobic. Of course on VIA, I only really use my Roomette to sleep so it works out. Ha.

The most comfortable Bedding I've experienced since the Demise of the Old Pullman Sleepers is in the Lower Berth ( Section)on the Canadian.
Seems like if I ever take the Canadian it will be in a berth. I had heard that the sections don't have outlets, though, which would be a big issue. Can someone verify?

This is true, but the Park Car and Dome cars have outlets on the Lower Level.

Also keep in mind that a Lower Berth is worth the price difference over an Upper because of the Window and ease of access.( an Upper has lots more room than a Superliner Upper "Coffin" and you don't have to use the ladder for the Lower bunk.)

Another important fact is the Very Limited storage space, you will have to check any large bags( no access for the 5 Day trip!), there's really only room for a pack or a small carry on with your essentials.

This is true, but the Park Car and Dome cars have outlets on the Lower Level.

Also keep in mind that a Lower Berth is worth the price difference over an Upper because of the Window and ease of access.( an Upper has lots more room than a Superliner Upper "Coffin" and you don't have to use the ladder for the Lower bunk.)

Another important fact is the Very Limited storage space, you will have to check any large bags( no access for the 5 Day trip!), there's really only room for a pack or a small carry on with your essentials.
Hmm. I don't want to derail this topic, but are there outlets and enough space for a suitcase in a Cabin for 1? And how do the beds in a Cabin for 1 compare to that of a section?

Back