Cross Country Emeryville-West Palm Beach Part Two

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sauve850

OBS Chief
I spent the night in Chicago at a nice hotel off north Michigan Avenue and dined at a favorite pizza joint. So tasty. Boxed up the rest and gave to bellman in case he was hungry. Slept in the next morning and walked up the street for coffee and breakfast sandwich from Starbucks.

I dropped my bags off at the Metropolitan Lounge around noon. A couple heading out on the Chief was asking the customer service lady if they should check bags or would they have enough room. She wasnt sure so I asked to see their ticket and they had a bedroom. They only had one bag, a purse and a small suitcase. Told them they would be just fine and have a safe trip. I checked in and took my small soft side cooler into lounge to put a couple cups of ice in it. I notice they now sell beer and wine this year. Didn't notice it last year.

I caught a ride to the Field Museum to spend a few hours since the Capital wouldn't leave till 6:40. Field Museum is a great place as are all the museums in Chicago. Highly recommend them if time permits. Beside Field you have the Art Museum, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium and the Science and Industry Museum ( a favorite of mine). I am somewhat biased as I grew up west of Chicago.

Back around 4ish I began to worry about my boxed dinner and breakfast. Customer service lady hadn't tried them and couldn't help me. I brought an empty Tupperware container and decided to buy a couple emergency food items just in case. Dunkin Donuts item for breakfast and a small sandwich for dinner.

Boarded on time. No walking us to the platform just out the door, turn right and head to track 26. An Amtrak employee was waiting at very end and pointed to the track/train for anyone who was unsure. My SCA was Carlos and he was very personable. Asked me to leave my small suitcase and he would bring to me in room A (again my choice). That hasn't happened in a while though all 3 attendants on my trip took my suitcase to the door upon arrival.

I had an amenity kit and a menu. The kit is something they probably could do away with in my opinion. Only things I used (but already carried some with me) were the body wash and shampoo. My SCA and suitcase arrived and Carlos said he was taking dinner reservations. I asked for the earliest time and he said 7pm. Asked what I wanted to eat and drink. I chose short rib and a Stella beer. He said just walk down to the diner at 7pm. He made my bed up at my request as I figured he would get busy with meals later.

At 7 I headed to the diner and was in the second sleeper. Several people were in front of me. We entered the diner (and what a nice diner! ) and the folks all began to sit down in the booths? I figured no one was coming out to wait on them so kept walking till I reached the middle and saw the attendant behind counter. Handed him my slip and he said it would be just a couple minutes. Got my Stella and sat in a big curved booth. Others began to drift in for their food. Mine was given to me and lots of stuff in the box. When you spread it all out I dont see how 4 people could manage in a booth. The salad had a vinaigrette dressing and came with 4 cherry tomatoes. A roll and butter but no plate, a caramel cheesecake and main course. Salt, pepper, utensils and napkin. Took up a lot of room. I used box for trash. I must admit this was very tasty, The beef was so tender with mashed potatoes and green beans and carrots. Roll was chewy as you would expect when microwaving. Salad was decent and dessert was good also. I noticed a couple near me had their free drinks. Each got a bottle of wine. Guessing they slept well. Maybe 15-18 people had dinner during my time frame. I asked some later and most liked their meal.

I slept well and woke about 7 am. Pushed the bed into recline mode so I had more room. Cleaned up, dressed and headed down for breakfast. Pulled the call button and SCA was there before I got out the door. Nice. We were in the Cumberland area on a dreary looking day. Breakfast was coffee, ice water, blueberry muffin (cold) with butter, yogurt, a kashi bar and a large portion of mixed fruit that was very fresh tasting. Blueberries to put in yogurt worked for me. A decent breakfast that I would do again but wouldn't want it every day.

As the train moves pretty slow through that area it was a good time for a shower in the room. Plenty of towels so after finishing and dressing I take a clean towel and wipe the walls and the floor etc. Its then dry and like it was never used. You need to make sure there is an extra towel.

We arrived Union Station DC about 1-1.5 hrs down due to freight traffic mainly in Indiana. Proceeded to the Acela lounge. My next train was to be the Silver Meteor and the last train south before Hurricane Florence. How we almost didnt make it in Part Three.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back