Cross Country Emeryville-West Palm Beach 9/6-9/12 Part One

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sauve850

OBS Chief
Flew Jackson Hole to Oakland on 9/6 and took a Lyft to the Hilton Garden Inn Emeryville. I had not previously stayed. Got a great rate 5 months ago. Received an email allowing me to check-in and select my room before arriving. My rate got me a mountain view not a bay view. There were mountains, yes but I would also call it the expressway view. Note: earplugs are a good idea for the "mountain rooms". Noise from expressway always present.

Nice clean hotel, very quick check-in just to get a key and friendly staff. Hotel has a restaurant and bar. A Shell station/store is next door for train supplies/drinks for your cooler etc. Beer at hotel was $6 and I had a flatbread pepperoni pizza that was tasty but very spicy. Breakfast was a buffet, potatoes were cold and eggs luke warm. Not that unusual for a hotel buffet. Bacon was warm and crisp! Fruit was plentiful.

The hotel has a free shuttle to Amtrak and Bart which I took advantage of and arrived around 8:30-8:40am. Having been at this station before I was prepared for the different approach to boarding. An Amtrak employee came out to the waiting area and she screamed for all to pay attention. Train 11 Coast Starlight was coming in on the right and then train 6 Zephyr on the left. Everyone go outside for further instructions. Not being my first rodeo and fact it was cold out I stayed inside. Train 6 folks waited about 15 minutes as 11 pulled in and left. I walked out and down to my right to the H area which is sleeper section. I was lucky that my car 631's door stopped right at my spot. Showed my ticket to Room A (my choice) to Johnny and I boarded.

This turned out to be the best CZ ride I have taken. I pulled the call button going to dinner and pulled it again going to breakfast and room was taken care of. I didn't see Johnny except in the diner where he was always helping set tables etc as other SCA's did also. My room was always done quickly. I needed ice on day two and peeked around the corner after lunch and saw Johnny. Walked down and asked for ice. He filled a bucket. Said he would take to room but I said I could handle. The dining staff was a group of all girls and they were all great. Drinks and food all served in a timely manner. Great table mates for 6 meals. Brad was a conductor from Grand Junction to Denver and covered all the highlights on the pa system. Lower and upper Gore Canyon, explained "moon river" to new riders and of course the great view on left side of train on that first curve coming down the Rockies where the plains meet the mountains. That's a great view.

We arrived in Chicago a few minutes or more ahead of schedule. A first for me. On to my hotel for the night.

Back