What if Capitol Limited to Silver Star is a missed connection?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next summer I am traveling all-coach, from Kansas City to Tampa. I am planning on taking the Southwest Chief to the Capitol Limited to the Silver Star. My question is this: "if the #30 to #91 becomes a missed connection, will I be placed onto the #97 Silver Meteor later that day (if there is room traveling coach), or would I be placed onto the next day's #91 (again...assuming there is room traveling coach)?

The Capitol Limited to Silver Star is the default connection - so...am I correct to view this as a "guaranteed connection" even though the layover is exactly 2:00?

Normally I would book the Chief to the Capitol Limited to the Silver Meteor, since taking the #97 would allow a 6:20 layover in DC. I would feel SO much more comfortable building in that extra layover time, but I really don't want the bus bridge from Orlando to Tampa.

For those who have experience.....Capitol Limited to Silver Service.....what do you do successfully?

My REAL preference would be the Missouri River Runner to City of New Orleans (UGH - two hours in a van) to that #@%&* (suspended route) into Florida.....with an overnight in New Orleans.

Next summer I am traveling all-coach, from Kansas City to Tampa. I am planning on taking the Southwest Chief to the Capitol Limited to the Silver Star. My question is this: "if the #30 to #91 becomes a missed connection, will I be placed onto the #97 Silver Meteor later that day (if there is room traveling coach), or would I be placed onto the next day's #91 (again...assuming there is room traveling coach)?

The Capitol Limited to Silver Star is the default connection - so...am I correct to view this as a "guaranteed connection" even though the layover is exactly 2:00?

Normally I would book the Chief to the Capitol Limited to the Silver Meteor, since taking the #97 would allow a 6:20 layover in DC. I would feel SO much more comfortable building in that extra layover time, but I really don't want the bus bridge from Orlando to Tampa.

For those who have experience.....Capitol Limited to Silver Service.....what do you do successfully?

My REAL preference would be the Missouri River Runner to City of New Orleans (UGH - two hours in a van) to that #@%&* (suspended route) into Florida.....with an overnight in New Orleans.
If the connection is missed, you will very likely be placed on #97 with the thruway connection (assuming the SM connection is made). I have attempted the SS connection three times and made it twice. The time it was missed, my reservation was automatically changed to #97 less than five minutes prior to arriving Washington, which was still plenty of time as the I arrived about 3 hours prior to the departure of #97.

We have traveled the CL to Silver Service connection many times over the years. At times in the past the connection between 30 and 91 was not a guarantee when track work and slow conditions left the CL late many times. We have almost always done a 30 to 97 connection to cover our trip in case of a later CL. It also gives you more time to explore Washington DC, which we enjoy doing. We always travel in roomette or bedroom so our case is a bit different than your plans.

Since Amtrak is now guaranteeing that 30-91 connection, if you are too late to make it, they will attempt to put you on 97 later in the day. Since you plan to travel in coach, that will likely not be a problem.

If you travel in sleeper, you may not have a sleeper available on that train, so the ride may be in coach. If that happens, Amtrak will compensate you for the missed sleeper opportunity. I suppose you can also talk to customer relations about modifying that reservation to allow you to leave on the following days 91 or 97

If you find that your #30 is going to be very late and not make the 91 connection, you should call customer relations as soon as possible to attempt to secure a place on #97 ...many others on your #30 may need to do the same thing so the earlier you call, the better your chances.

I prefer the 30 to 97 connection and always request it. However, before the dining car was removed from 91, I reserved that connection a few times. Once, I arrived on 30 early and attempted to switch from 97 to 91 to get home early (prior to removal of dining car) and was unable to do so since sleepers were sold. out.

Frankly, I miss riding on the Silver Star. I enjoy the change in scenery, but like eating in the dining car more than I like the Star's scenery.

Frankly, I miss riding on the Silver Star. I enjoy the change in scenery, but like eating in the dining car more than I like the Star's scenery.
Agreed. I like the longer ride, the scenery, the departure and arrival times, and the general feel of the train. I wish they had taken the diner off the Meteor instead.

I like the departure and arrival times of the SM much better.

I am able to connect to and from the SM from northern NYS. In order to connect to the SS, I would have to drive to ALB and depart at (I think) 6 am. The problem is I do not drive, and getting a ride and for that distance that early is almost impossible. And I am not sure there is a connection from NYP to ALB that late, and there is that problem of the ride. With the SM, I can easily get a ride or a city bus to/from the local station under 7 miles away mid morning and early evening.

I like the departure and arrival times of the SM much better.

I am able to connect to and from the SM from northern NYS. In order to connect to the SS, I would have to drive to ALB and depart at (I think) 6 am. The problem is I do not drive, and getting a ride and for that distance that early is almost impossible. And I am not sure there is a connection from NYP to ALB that late, and there is that problem of the ride. With the SM, I can easily get a ride or a city bus to/from the local station under 7 miles away mid morning and early evening.
True. I'm lucky since I live in NYC and only use the Meteor for travel to and from south Florida. I liked the morning departure. I liked having lunch in the diner on the NEC. And I do also enjoy seeing the Capitol Limited in WAS, which is a bit of a treat because I almost never get to see Superliners. And when I'm coming north, the Star allows me to get the entire second day on the train. On the Meteor I have breakfast and then have to start packing up basically right after.

Those are little things, but for me, they all add up.

Back