San Diego Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
I am taking the Pacific Surfliner to San Diego in April for a cruise. I may give myself a couple of arrivals cushion should one crater on me and to grab a decent breakfast rather than the snack bar on the train. Is there a place they can hold my luggage for a few hours?

If you have access to the Metropolitan Lounge (you'd need to be ticketed in Business Class and/or have Select+ or Select Executive status), you can store your bags there for free. And I think you can pay something like $15 to have your bags stored with the checked bags.

If you have access to the Metropolitan Lounge (you'd need to be ticketed in Business Class and/or have Select+ or Select Executive status), you can store your bags there for free. And I think you can pay something like $15 to have your bags stored with the checked bags.
There is no metropolitan lounge in San Diego.

There is no metropolitan lounge in San Diego.
Oh sorry. I read Pacific Surfliner and mentally changed it to Los Angeles. However San Diego does offer checked baggage service, and according to this page:

Temporary Bag Storage

Customers holding tickets for Amtrak travel may store their items in Parcel Check service when available for $10 per item for 24 hours. Check the station detail page for the stations you'll be visiting to see if they offer this service. Customers that don't have an Amtrak ticket may store items for $20 per item for 24 hours (valid photo ID required).

If you check all your luggage southbound (requires an origin station offering baggage service), you don't have to worry about it at all. They'll hold it in the baggage room at San Diego (up to 48 hours), no charge. Just swing by and claim it when you're ready.

By The Way, Amtrak is very good about requiring and comparing claim checks before they release checked luggage, so you don't have to worry overmuch about your bags walking off without you.

I agree with ehbowen that checking you bags (if possible) is the best option. You can just claim your bags when ready, and there will be no charge. Also on the Surfliners, if you book BC, you will get a meal at your seat included and you will not need to visit the snack bar!

I agree with ehbowen that checking you bags (if possible) is the best option. You can just claim your bags when ready, and there will be no charge. Also on the Surfliners, if you book BC, you will get a meal at your seat included and you will not need to visit the snack bar!
Have they improved the service in BC? Last time I took it the meal was a pastry in a bag.

Have they improved the service in BC? Last time I took it the meal was a pastry in a bag.
During the afternoon hours...

20180805_162706.jpg

20180805_163002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They seem to change the stuff in the box every once in a while which is nice.
Considering they apparently have stroopwafels currently, I would not want them changing those boxes anytime soon. I am addicted to those things.
Any snack pack with a stroopwafel can't be too bad!
default_cool.png

Having taken BC in the Pacific Surfliners many times in the past 3 years, the box featuring the waffles is only offered in the afternoon. The complimentary morning offering is self service coffee, tea, and packaged pastries. No protein, no fresh fruit. Sorry.

Having taken BC in the Pacific Surfliners many times in the past 3 years, the box featuring the waffles is only offered in the afternoon. The complimentary morning offering is self service coffee, tea, and packaged pastries. No protein, no fresh fruit. Sorry.
Noooooo!!!!!!!!!
default_sad.png

Bummer, I've never even heard of Stroopwaffles, but sounds like something I'd like to try! Hubby and I are riding the surfliner down to San Diego in early November. We'll be coming home a couple days later in the afternoon, so maybe we'll get the waffles then. Riding business class. I actually received a phone call from Amtrak today notifying us that the Van Nuys station where we planned on boarding will be closed for track work, so we have to board in Burbank instead.

Bummer, I've never even heard of Stroopwaffles, but sounds like something I'd like to try! Hubby and I are riding the surfliner down to San Diego in early November. We'll be coming home a couple days later in the afternoon, so maybe we'll get the waffles then. Riding business class. I actually received a phone call from Amtrak today notifying us that the Van Nuys station where we planned on boarding will be closed for track work, so we have to board in Burbank instead.
The are busy at Van Nuys adding a pedestrian "subway", and between-track platform. Track two will have to be relocated as well. Construction been going on for several months now.

Noooooo!!!!!!!!!
default_sad.png
Its a $19.00 upgrade from LAUS to San Diego. What exactly were you expecting???

Stroopwafels (pronounced shtroap-vafel) are a type of Dutch cookie. They're about 4.5" in diameter and consist of a thin layer of soft caramel sandwiched between two super thin cookies cooked and griddled in a small waffle iron. They are pretty ridiculous. A fun thing to do, which is pretty common in the Netherlands, is to take one and put it on top of a hot cup of tea or coffee, which warms it up and softens it. I could go on and on about stroopwafels, but I'll spare you guys the pain.

What's the origin station. If there's checked baggage there, then the suggestion to just check in and pick up later will work. If not, then you could probably ask for baggage storage for a fee.

United has been serving Stroopwafels for a while now. When one says please and thank you to the flight attendant, this is what she surprises you with just before landing. Thats not including the 4 she already brought me earlier. Sometime over the last couple of years, Stroopwafels has become a thing, which I think United had a big part in. Now you see them everywhere including at Costco.

28682543993_6c4ba9c61c_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping United has them on my flight to EWR in 17 Days!
No sorry, it was announced that they will be temporarily replacing it with cookies. The Stroopwafels will be back, but because they've serving them for so long, according to the press release, they will replace with maple flavored cookies in the rotation.

Back