Third Trip, First Overnight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Crazy Train

Next month I am going to take my third train trip, first over night. Previously I've traveled from New Orleans to Atlanta via the Crescent. This upcoming trip I'm traveling from New Orleans to Chicago. I've only discovered this forum today and am glad to have a place to ask some of my unanswered questions.

1. I know the meals for passengers in the sleeper cars are complimentary, but how do they know that you're in the sleeper car? I admit that it's been 3-4 years since I last took the train to Atlanta and don't remember if they asked if I was sitting in coach or not. Also, related to this, I guess tipping will be based on an estimate of the meal since the only time I will see pricing is when I look at the menu?

2. I have seen plenty of videos on YouTube of people in sleeper cars showing where the large luggage is stored. Is this the same as checking your baggage? I anticipate one large suitcase and just one backpack to keep with me in the roomette.

Basically the dining car employees see who enters from the sleeper car side vs. the coaches. We have endless discussions here regarding tipping and there are many different opinions on what needs to happen. Many people go with $3 $4 $5 for breakfast, lunch, dinner...some feel 15% is appropriate while others feel ya shouldn’t leave anything. Really up to your discretion depending on service received. As far as suitcases you do put them on a shelf downstairs and you’ll have access to it during your trip.

Wishing you a great trip!

When you are seated, you are asked if you are in coach or sleeper. Each check is different. On the sleeper checks, you enter your car & room number and sign the checks. Coach passengers do not sign and must pay for their meals.

Tipping is optional, but encouraged. Some people tip a certain amount per meal. (Such as $1-2 for breakfast, $2-3 for lunch, $4-5 for dinner.) Others leave a certain percentage (like 15%-20%) of the menu price. It is up to you.

On the CONO, there is a large luggage rack on the lower level. You can place your bags there. It is NOT the same as checking you bags. In the luggage rack, you have access to your bags throughout the trip. If you check your bags, they will be placed in the baggage car for you - but you will NOT have access to them (including at and transfer points) until you reclaim them at your final destination.

During one trip as a Sleeper passenger, I went to the Lounge Car for a pre-meal drink, thus entering the Diner (for the first time as a Diner guest) from the Coach passengers end of the Car. I was seated in the section closest to that entrance, which was OK with me. But, if I had not had my Boarding Pass with me, I would have had a problem convincing the LSA that I really was a Sleeping Car guest and that I did not need to pay for my meal except for my bottle of wine.

On the City of New Orleans they use a Cross Country Cafe, which means one end serves as the diner and the other serves as the cafe. I’ve been through 4 different meals on the CONO and only once was the diner crowded and that was out of Chicago and we had a large group of German tourists headed to Memphis. They will be able to tell where you came from. I hope you get Mandi or Jonathon. They were the best SCAs. And Michelle in the diner was honestly sunshine and joy personified.

Basically the dining car employees see who enters from the sleeper car side vs. the coaches. We have endless discussions here regarding tipping and there are many different opinions on what needs to happen. Many people go with $3 $4 $5 for breakfast, lunch, dinner...some feel 15% is appropriate while others feel ya shouldn’t leave anything. Really up to your discretion depending on service received. As far as suitcases you do put them on a shelf downstairs and you’ll have access to it during your trip.

I doubt doubt they are that aware. All you need to do as a coach passenger is quickly walk through the dining car to the sleeper. Wait a few minutes on the other side of the door then enter the dining car again for a meal. And I know I have entered the dining car from the SSL.

I think it is just the honor system sort of thing. Sort of like at at a hotel. The problem might come with filling out the car and room number. You would have to know a valid car and room number and know it is occupied. But even then I bet they don't check or car to check.

I doubt doubt they are that aware. All you need to do as a coach passenger is quickly walk through the dining car to the sleeper. Wait a few minutes on the other side of the door then enter the dining car again for a meal. And I know I have entered the dining car from the SSL.

I think it is just the honor system sort of thing. Sort of like at at a hotel. The problem might come with filling out the car and room number. You would have to know a valid car and room number and know it is occupied. But even then I bet they don't check or car to check.
There are possible loopholes with a lot of things. I doubt that there are many people who will go to that much trouble to get a free meal at the risk of being discovered and possibly kicked off the train. Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's worth it or anyone will do it.

And they do cross check between what is written on the check (example - car 2230, room 5) and the manifest. If room #5 of car 2230 is not occupied, the next time they see you, they will collect for the last meal.

I was once on the CS connecting to the CZ. The connection was in SAC at 6:30 am. I had bought a coach ticket from SAC to EMY round trip so I would not have to wait hours in SAC. The night before, I asked my SCA if I could stay in my room until EMY. After checking with the Conductor, it was allowed but it was stated that I must pay for my own breakfast (since I would normally depart prior to breakfast service). However, the CS was delayed and service began before we arrived in SAC. I ate and signed the check.

Within an hour, both the LSA and Conductor came to my room, explaining I had to pay (as I had agreed to do).

So you see they do check.

And they do cross check between what is written on the check (example - car 2230, room 5) and the manifest. If room #5 of car 2230 is not occupied, the next time they see you, they will collect for the last meal.

I was once on the CS connecting to the CZ. The connection was in SAC at 6:30 am. I had bought a coach ticket from SAC to EMY round trip so I would not have to wait hours in SAC. The night before, I asked my SCA if I could stay in my room until EMY. After checking with the Conductor, it was allowed but it was stated that I must pay for my own breakfast (since I would normally depart prior to breakfast service). However, the CS was delayed and service began before we arrived in SAC. I ate and signed the check.

Within an hour, both the LSA and Conductor came to my room, explaining I had to pay (as I had agreed to do).

Sorry, I'm confused. Why did you buy a round trip coach ticket from Sacramento to Emeryville? Just so that you wouldn't be waiting in the station for a few hours?

There are possible loopholes with a lot of things. I doubt that there are many people who will go to that much trouble to get a free meal at the risk of being discovered and possibly kicked off the train. Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's worth it or anyone will do it.
Or that it is ethical. The important issue is that it is against the rules to have a meal that you did not pay for. Not whether you can get away with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

In other words the honor system just like I mentioned. I really doubt dining car attendants are going through the trouble to notice what direction you enter from. A sleeping car passenger can enter from the SSL and they will most likely not ask to see a ticket to prove you are first class.

When you're on a train for 24-48 hours (possibly longer), the staff gets to know the passengers. Yes, the first night out of Chicago a coach passenger might snag a free dinner if he knows all the tricks. But when the LSA is going through the train for lunch reservations the next day, and he sees the "sleeper" passenger hanging out in coach... These kinds of things tend to sort themselves out in the end.

Sorry, I'm confused. Why did you buy a round trip coach ticket from Sacramento to Emeryville? Just so that you wouldn't be waiting in the station for a few hours?
That & more train time.

The ticket is a sleeper on the CS from PDX connecting in SAC to asleeper on the CZ to CHI. When you enter A to B (not multi-city), that is the only option given. So instead of waking at 5 am, I decided to sleep on. And instead of paying $xxx for a sleeper from SAC to EMY on the CS and another $xxx for a sleeper from EMY to SAC on the CZ, I just bought a coach ticket for like $20 for both ways.

Or that it is ethical. The important issue is that it is against the rules to have a meal that you did not pay for. Not whether you can get away with it.
Of course. But there are people who don't care about ethics and just make their decision based on what is practical and "best" for them.

Basically the dining car employees see who enters from the sleeper car side vs. the coaches. We have endless discussions here regarding tipping and there are many different opinions on what needs to happen. Many people go with $3 $4 $5 for breakfast, lunch, dinner...some feel 15% is appropriate while others feel ya shouldn’t leave anything. Really up to your discretion depending on service received. As far as suitcases you do put them on a shelf downstairs and you’ll have access to it during your trip. Wishing you a great trip!
I've seen members explain why they do not tip, and I've seen members defend other people who choose to refrain from tipping, but I honestly cannot recall ever seeing a member telling other visitors they should never leave a tip on Amtrak.

One thing to note regarding tipping and Amtrak: While most land-based restaurant workers make at or below minimum wage, and thus rely on tips to even make minimum wage, Amtrak staff are paid a living wage with a decent benefits package. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't tip, but for me the mindset shifts from "I need to tip in order to pay this person's wage" to "This tip is to show appreciation for making my trip more enjoyable." They certainly work hard for their wage, and tips are appreciated, but it's a different dynamic than tipping at a Denny's or Applebee's.

Also, a server at Denny’s or Applebee’s gets to go home after their shift. A server on Amtrak starts work at 6:30 am, after a few hours of breaks and serving all 3 meals, may not get done until 9 or 10 pm. Then they get to go to their room on the train, and do it all over again at 6:30 am. And it may be 6 days before they can go home.

Also, a server at Denny’s or Applebee’s gets to go home after their shift. A server on Amtrak starts work at 6:30 am, after a few hours of breaks and serving all 3 meals, may not get done until 9 or 10 pm. Then they get to go to their room on the train, and do it all over again at 6:30 am. And it may be 6 days before they can go home.
But also if you’re on Amtrak, you basically don’t have any living costs while you’re onboard.

But also if you’re on Amtrak, you basically don’t have any living costs while you’re onboard.
Hmm, rent or mortgage., utilities, insurances. Nah, no living expenses.

So why don’t they all apply?
default_huh.png

Wow, we went from giving a few tips to a first time sleeper rider, to trying to slide into the diner with out paying and at the same time stiff the server out of a gratuity for services. I'm not making this up.

Wow, we went from giving a few tips to a first time sleeper rider, to trying to slide into the diner with out paying and at the same time stiff the server out of a gratuity for services. I'm not making this up.
I don't think you can "stiff" someone out of something you never agreed to in the first place. The whole premise of a gratuity is that it's not guaranteed.

Hmm, rent or mortgage., utilities, insurances. Nah, no living expenses.
I had an SCA that didn't have a home. He would work as much as possible and when he was in town, he would crash at his sister's or a friend's place. He was young.
default_smile.png
So it can be done.

Back