Hi Level Cars for Sale

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuppb001

Train Attendant
Have not seen this posted anywhere else and Moderators can move or merge this thread if necessary but if anyone is curious the entire fleet of Hi Levels that were privately owned are now for sale on Ozark Mountain. They have lots of pictures too for those of us that have never been in a Hi Level.

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com

You will have to login to see the pictures but registration is free.

Corridor Capital has been trying to sell those cars for years. A lot of states and other groups have looked at them, but there have been no buyers. I think one of the problems is that it would be extremely difficult to make the cars handicapped accessible since there is no seating on the lower level.

Corridor Capital has been trying to sell those cars for years. A lot of states and other groups have looked at them, but there have been no buyers. I think one of the problems is that it would be extremely difficult to make the cars handicapped accessible since there is no seating on the lower level.
Don't forget maintenance.

Not to mention that they've been sitting around for so long now that they probably need a fair bit of money putting into them just to amke them presentable.

Have not seen this posted anywhere else and Moderators can move or merge this thread if necessary but if anyone is curious the entire fleet of Hi Levels that were privately owned are now for sale on Ozark Mountain. They have lots of pictures too for those of us that have never been in a Hi Level.

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com

You will have to login to see the pictures but registration is free.
They've actually been for sale for multiple months. Anyhow, I've got an account with Ozark, so for anyone who wants to see the prices but doesn't want to go the trouble of signing up, here:

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 3.14.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 3.14.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 3.14.36 PM.png

Great link...thank's for posting. I loved that vintage shot inside of the NYC "Wingate Brook", with its beautiful raised observation lounge...

I used to 'drool' over that car, with the flower vase in the rear window, as it pulled away from Track 34, in GCT, wishing I was aboard it...
default_wub.png

Man, that New York Central Fall Brook would be a phenomenal car to renovate, though I have no idea how much that would cost. Beautiful car!
I have a shop that could do it. Likely come close to 750k-1.2m depending how good of a job you want. And what type of surprises we find. But looking at it with fire damage. Could be even more. Honestly I would buy it for parts to keep another car in operation. But if you want a car I have several contacts that would sell you a better car. One that needs a lot less work.

Man, that New York Central Fall Brook would be a phenomenal car to renovate, though I have no idea how much that would cost. Beautiful car!
Am I right that the 25 000 $ asking price is probably only slightly more than its presumed scrap value?

That should be scrap value actually in St Louis. It's currently going for .30 cents per pound so 600 dollars a ton. Times roughly 40-50 tons. So 24,000-30,000 estimated scrap value.

Back