Munich Central Station Seedy?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seat38a

Engineer
I'm looking at Marriott/SPG hotels right next to Munich Central Station. From what I am reading, people are saying that the area around the station is pretty seedy. Can anyone who's been in and out of Munich Central chime in? For some reason, lots of hotels seem to be concentrated around the station.

I'm looking at Marriott/SPG hotels right next to Munich Central Station. From what I am reading, people are saying that the area around the station is pretty seedy. Can anyone who's been in and out of Munich Central chime in? For some reason, lots of hotels seem to be concentrated around the station.
I've been through that station several times and stayed at a nearby hotel. There are shops along some side streets that appear to sell sexual aids and other things that are likely to disjoint the noses of prudish hypocrites. I don't get my jollies worrying about what strangers get up to behind closed doors so it wasn't a problem for me.

I've been through that station several times and stayed at a nearby hotel. There are shops along some side streets that appear to sell sexual aids and other things that are likely to disjoint the noses of prudish hypocrites. I don't get my jollies worrying about what strangers get up to behind closed doors so it wasn't a problem for me.
Couple sex shops are it? Many reviews I've been reading on TripAdvisor said they didn't feel safe walking outside at night but others have written it was ok. So not really sure if I should stay around the station which would make it really convenient or go further into town. As long as its not like the Tenderloin in SF, I'm fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
My impression is that in Europe, hotels tend to be more central or near public transport hubs in towns or cities, than in the states.

I notice that the grand hotels near main train stations often can be rather expensive in Europe.

While I can't offer any direct experience on Munich, I would imagine the area may have a little "local character", but hardly anything to worry about. Have you been to Germany or other parts of Europe before?

Bon Voyage!

Ed.

Couple sex shops are it? Many reviews I've been reading on TripAdvisor said they didn't feel safe walking outside at night but others have written it was ok. So not really sure if I should stay around the station which would make it really convenient or go further into town. As long as its not like the Tenderloin in SF, I'm fine.
People have been complaining about the "seediness" of central Munich for as long as I can remember, but I've visited with both friends and family and never felt threatened or at risk. So long as you don't go looking for trouble or making a fool of yourself I wouldn't expect any serious problems. My most recent trip to Munich was in 2014 and at that time the sex stuff seemed fairly tame and unremarkable (for Europe anyway). I was also older than before so maybe I just didn't notice it as much. It's not always clear what exactly is being offered so maybe it's freakier on the inside than what you see from the street. The main thing I noticed was a lot more ethnic stores and restaurants than before. I find that sort of thing appealing but some folks are really turned off by it. Maybe with the rise of adversarial nationalism Munich has been inundated with roving bands of skinheads, but in my experience it was reasonably safe.
default_happy.png

I usually spend the night across the ST car at the Europasier Hof. The area I used to find very safe back in 2012. And I go every year and it has steadily been declining. It has really gotten bad since the refugee crisis. With a lot of misguided youth doing drugs, and a lot of idle young hanging out in the areas around the station doors.

Generally if you walk and pay no attention to it there is nothing to worry about. They are all fairly harmless a bit scary from the distance but harmless. It should be noted as well Deutsche Bahn has their security forces right at those entrances to run them out of the actual station. But they do not own the sidewalk outside of the station so they hang out right outside.

My advice just keep walking, pay no attention, and you'll be fine. Have a great time in München. I'll be there in three weeks.

I usually spend the night across the ST car at the Europasier Hof. The area I used to find very safe back in 2012. And I go every year and it has steadily been declining. It has really gotten bad since the refugee crisis. With a lot of misguided youth doing drugs, and a lot of idle young hanging out in the areas around the station doors.

Generally if you walk and pay no attention to it there is nothing to worry about. They are all fairly harmless a bit scary from the distance but harmless. It should be noted as well Deutsche Bahn has their security forces right at those entrances to run them out of the actual station. But they do not own the sidewalk outside of the station so they hang out right outside.

My advice just keep walking, pay no attention, and you'll be fine. Have a great time in München. I'll be there in three weeks.
Thanks! Looks like your hotel is right next door to the two hotels that I'm looking at. The Aloft and Le Meriden.

People have been complaining about the "seediness" of central Munich for as long as I can remember, but I've visited with both friends and family and never felt threatened or at risk. So long as you don't go looking for trouble or making a fool of yourself I wouldn't expect any serious problems. My most recent trip to Munich was in 2014 and at that time the sex stuff seemed fairly tame and unremarkable (for Europe anyway). I was also older than before so maybe I just didn't notice it as much. It's not always clear what exactly is being offered so maybe it's freakier on the inside than what you see from the street. The main thing I noticed was a lot more ethnic stores and restaurants than before. I find that sort of thing appealing but some folks are really turned off by it. Maybe with the rise of adversarial nationalism Munich has been inundated with roving bands of skinheads, but in my experience it was reasonably safe.
default_happy.png
Thanks! Reading the reviews on TripAdvisor really was a downer regarding the area around the station. Location wise it really can't be beat.

You'll be OK. The area is fine.

When you talk about the seediness of an area it's often a question of compared to what?

Maybe if you've lived a very sheletered life and never been in an underpriveledged area of any big city, you might be unsettled by some of what you see.

But on the whole Germany is a very safe country (even if things have been going downhill these last few years), and within Germany, Munich is one of the nicer and safer cities. Crime levels are extremely low.

If you apply normal street sense, you'll be perfectly OK.

The level of begging and panhandling is definitely far lower than in comparable US cities. When I first came to the US I was overwhelmed by it all as I wasn't used to that, despite having lived in several major European cities and even some of the seedier parts thereof. So going the other way I expect you'll find it all to be very tame and innoccuous and a bit laughable really.

In the highly unlikely case that anybody does approach you, just don't engage in conversation or politely tell them you're not interested and you'll be OK.

Back