Exploring old abandoned rail tunnels in Yorkshire...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first time I read about such abandoned tunnels was in Enid Blyton's Famous Five series when I was a kid.
5 go off to camp, 1948, I guess...
default_biggrin.png

Ed.

The first time I read about such abandoned tunnels was in Enid Blyton's Famous Five series when I was a kid.
5 go off to camp, 1948, I guess...
default_biggrin.png

Ed.
I read them in the mid-60s though [emoji57]
Consequence of doing my primary and secondary schooling at a British style Public School. The library had the complete Famous Five and Secret Seven series. And I devoured the entire lot, among others. We had one of the best school libraries I have seen. Full collection of Jim Corbett’s books. Great collection of introductory science and math books too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really rail related, but Cornwall and Devon have miles and miles of abandoned tunnels. Many of them were dug several centuries back, some possibly even as long ago as Roman times. They were originally tin or lead mines but after abandonment were in some cases used or even extended for smuggling.. Jamaica Rum or spices on which the government at the time levied heavy duties would be clandestinely offloaded from sailing ships and hidden away in tunnels before presumably being sold on the black market.. Many coastal communities lived almost entirely off such illegal activities in what was otherwise a very poor part of the country. Daphne Du Maurier's excellent novel Jamaica Inn is set in this period and accurately portrays some of the consequences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back