Private train (including Patrick Henry Cars) headed South through CA?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an office facing the tracks just north of the Cuesta Grade near San Luis Obispo, CA. I often look out my window to see if there are any private railcars attached to either the #11 or #14 Coast Starlight when they go by twice a day.

This morning (approx 10:30 local time) I heard a train and looked out the window to see what appeared to be a completely private train, pulled by two newer looking orange engines. The train was surprisingly long, and was comprised almost entirely of different older silver passenger/sleeper cars, most with two word names ending in "Pass," although I did think I saw a "Lake Superior" (or possibly Lake Erie? Now that I'm writing this I'm doubting my memory). No Amtrak branded/painted cars at all from what I could tell.

The two Patrick Henry Creative Promotions cars were in the approximate middle of the train, and stood out from the silver cars, so I Googled them and found this forum.

Any idea what this train is for and where it was headed (other than south through San Luis Obispo County, CA)?

I apologize, I was too surprised and fascinated to grab my phone and take a picture or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was in Texas last month, I saw 2 Patrick Henry Creative Promotions cars in 2 different cities. Both were on the rear of an Amtrak train. I think Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle. Obviously a different situation than what you saw, but similar cars.

Aha! An answer from the Facebook page of the owner of Patrick Henry Creative Promotions:

"Today starts the trip across the West with our two cars and 16 other cars for CEO's. Heading to LAX from SFO."

18 private cars total-- I thought that was a long train! Wish I had gotten a picture. Maybe someone else will before it arrives in LA.

The silver cars and Orange engines sounds like the BNSF office car train. Interesting that running on the Union Pacific.

Their office cars are currently in Northwestern Terminal in Chicago.

The silver cars and Orange engines sounds like the BNSF office car train. Interesting that running on the Union Pacific.

Their office cars are currently in Northwestern Terminal in Chicago.
The “competing” railroads will allow executive trains from other railroads, from what I have seen. It could be that the mojave subdivision was overloaded or not preferred for the run.

The most interesting one I've seen is the Canadian Pacific train complete with F units went to Portland on the UP. With a UP engine on the point for cab signals. BNSF also sends one to the masters annually.

Ooh, do you have any pics or video you can share? I am kicking myself for not getting any of this train. It was impressive.

Arrived in Los Angeles this evening. Video'd it from Metrolink 119 while on my way home from work.

Photos of this special train showed up yesterday on railpictures.net. As someone said the orange locomotives and stainless steel cars are BNSF. It's interesting that the train is on UP and also includes some private cars. Perhaps this is more than a BNSF operation and includes other big business sponsorship.

Back