No Acela Value Fares after 10/15?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TCP

Has anyone else noticed no Value fares after 10/15 on acela service? is this a new policy?

2151 shows no Value at all after 10/15 (from bos to nyc)

and was it a sale? I have been riding that rain for over 1 year and value fares were always availabe

I am confused.

Are you talking about VALUE fares or SAVER fares? Value fares are regular price while Saver fares are % off the Value fare.
It doesn't even make much difference, since I'm seeing both of them well past 10/15...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant be true- I called guest rewards and they see the same thing. No value fares on the Monday am 2151

Perhaps they've sold out of the saver and value fares for the dates you're looking at. Or that train is so popular so they don't need to offer lower cost seats.

Value Fares availability is limited.

It appears that early Monday morning is a very popular time to travel from BOS to NYP. It also appears that there are some Value fares on 2153, the next Acela out of BOS.

As stated above, it is possible that Value seats are not offered, or alternatively, the value seats are sold out months in advance.

I do not know which trains have assigned seating, or will have assigned seating in the near future. Possibly the Value seats have been taken out of inventory in order to program the reservation system to permit assigned seating. (just a guess).

Cant be true- I called guest rewards and they see the same thing. No value fares on the Monday am 2151
Interesting. It looks like starting on 10/22, neither Saver nor Value fares are available on any Monday #2151. This does not seem to be the case any other day of the week.

As stated above, early Monday morning trains are usually very busy. Perhaps those lower fares are sold out.
Considering that both Saver and Value fares are unavailable every Monday for months, starting almost two months from now, and that this is not the case on virtually any other day, I highly doubt that those fares are just sold out.

As stated above, early Monday morning trains are usually very busy. Perhaps those lower fares are sold out.
Considering that both Saver and Value fares are unavailable every Monday for months, starting almost two months from now, and that this is not the case on virtually any other day, I highly doubt that those fares are just sold out.
Since it's a popular train, see how much the 1st class seats are, then it's likely they're not even offering the saver / value fares. They don't need to.

Seems like it. Value and Saver fares are unavailable on every single Monday #2151 from October 22nd until 11 months from now, after which you can't book altogether. I really doubt that those fares are just "sold out" in July of next year. That's the only possible explanation.

Seems like it. Value and Saver fares are unavailable on every single Monday #2151 from October 22nd until 11 months from now, after which you can't book altogether. I really doubt that those fares are just "sold out" in July of next year. That's the only possible explanation.
Did you really check every Monday from Oct to July? *smh*

Did you really check every Monday from Oct to July? *smh*
Yup.

Did you also look at other trains that day?
default_huh.png

As said, if they expect to get higher paying fares on a certain train, why offer a lower fare? Just because they may say something like $59 from BOS-NYP, but they know that specific train will be full anyway, why offer the $59 fare on the 6 am Monday morning train that will be full? Why not just start at a $119 fare, and if it is not selling lower it?

They do the same thing with popular trains. The fare on the EB at 11 months out may be the 2nd or 3rd bucket, but at 8 months you may find it is low bucket.

It is called inventory management.

Not being a NEC rider, I thought Acela's only had first class and business class so I would not expect value or saver fares which I thought applied only to regular coach seats which are available on the Northeast Regionals but not the Acela's.

Not being a NEC rider, I thought Acela's only had first class and business class so I would not expect value or saver fares which I thought applied only to regular coach seats which are available on the Northeast Regionals but not the Acela's.
Business Class on Acela is basically coach class.

Did you also look at other trains that day?
default_huh.png
Yep. #2151 is the only one.

As said, if they expect to get higher paying fares on a certain train, why offer a lower fare? Just because they may say something like $59 from BOS-NYP, but they know that specific train will be full anyway, why offer the $59 fare on the 6 am Monday morning train that will be full? Why not just start at a $119 fare, and if it is not selling lower it?

They do the same thing with popular trains. The fare on the EB at 11 months out may be the 2nd or 3rd bucket, but at 8 months you may find it is low bucket.

It is called inventory management.
I understand all of that. I wasn't disagreeing with her. Sorry if it came off like I was.

Business Class on Acela is basically coach class.
Remind me, can someone with an Acela "business class" ticket buy a station lounge pass, or is that just for passengers traveling in actual business class? If it's the former, I guess that would make one very small way that Acela business isn't exactly coach.

Remind me, can someone with an Acela "business class" ticket buy a station lounge pass, or is that just for passengers traveling in actual business class? If it's the former, I guess that would make one very small way that Acela business isn't exactly coach.
Yes, Acela Business can buy entry to Club Acela in Washington, Philadelphia and (when it reopens) Boston. Not for New York.

Acela Business Class has considerable more leg room than coach on the Regionals. It is not the same as coach as some have stated !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back