how do find out the ridership on a train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iliketrains

Lead Service Attendant
I am a highly sociable person and would like to travel on Amtrak when there are loads of people having fun being sociable. That's why I won't travel in a sleeping car. I want to go the lounge car and meet people, play cards and other board games, drink and be merry (I hope this is possible in 2018 like it was back in the 1990's).

I just read this article today about a truck on the tracks hit by a long-distance Amtrak train that only had 59 passengers aboard! So few people, who probably were not sociable, would be a disappointment to me.

So is there a resource to find out how many people ride a specific train and when is the ridership the highest?

You don't expect midweek ridership on trains (or planes) to be lower than during other peak travel days?

"Only" 59?

The train may have also been near its start or end.

Trains typically fill-up during the route and board at intermediate stations.

While few travel from endpoint to endpoint, say Chicago to Los Angeles, many travel Kansas City to Arizona, or Chicago to Albuquerque, or La Junta, CO, to San Bernardino, CA.

Your observation of "only" that number of passengers may not be accurate.

You know you have a valid point I didn't consider. The train was near the end of the route. Doing a little quick research, it appears the train is the Crescent and it hit the truck at Ellisville, MS, which is near Laurel, MS. That means the train's only major stop remaining was New Orleans. That explains it. That's good to know because I was like "how could a train serving stops such as NY, Atlanta, New Orleans only have 59 people on board". That train probably had hundreds of people earlier but now that one major stop remained, it was down to 59. Thanks!!

Crescent typically runs pretty light south of Atlanta. When Southern operated it in the Amtrak era, it was a three times a week service south of Atlanta for extended periods.

Especially light is Atlanta to Birmingham. Depending on what is going on in New Orleans, it can get a significant number of riders between Birmingham and New Orleans, specially true around weekends and Mardi Gras and such.

Is there a way to know when peak ridership occurs on a route? The link above is great information but it doesn't speak about peak travel periods.

I am a highly sociable person and would like to travel on Amtrak when there are loads of people having fun being sociable. That's why I won't travel in a sleeping car. I want to go the lounge car and meet people, play cards and other board games, drink and be merry (I hope this is possible in 2018 like it was back in the 1990's).

I just read this article today about a truck on the tracks hit by a long-distance Amtrak train that only had 59 passengers aboard! So few people, who probably were not sociable, would be a disappointment to me.

So is there a resource to find out how many people ride a specific train and when is the ridership the highest?
To be honest, I highly doubt that you'll end up on a train with "loads of people having fun being sociable". For the most part, people keep to themselves, and in my experience, virtually no one wants to sit down and play a board game until the end. Also, they almost never provide games on board, so you would likely have to bring them yourself. I also disagree with your logic that you wouldn't be able to be social in a sleeper. You can still go to the lounge car if you're in a sleeper, so the only real difference is that you won't have as many people near your seat, and in my experience, people try to keep quiet and keep to themselves in the coaches anyway. And remember that a crowded train means more noise, more smells (coach passengers don't have access to a shower), and a more packed lounge car, meaning it could be very hard to find a seat.

There's a difference between a train being crowded and the people on board wanting to socialize, have a few drinks, and play games. I would say that no matter what season or specific day, there will be a sufficient number of people onboard to socialize with, if they are willing to do so, but the fact is that most people don't want to have a few beers with complete strangers, and don't want to sit in the lounge car playing board games or card games. Also note that you're not allowed to consume alcohol in the coaches anyway.

But if you're really dead set on being on a packed train, which I really don't recommend, peak season is usually summertime for most of the western long distance routes. Could you remind us what train you plan on taking?

NOTE: This is all from my personal experience on crowded trains and socializing on Amtrak. I get that I might be in the minority on this one.

Take a look at this video I shot on a recent trip in the lounge car on the Coast Starlight.

The lounge car was active with people.

There was hardly an open seat.

The video focuses on the scenery, but later pans to the crowds in the car.

This was north of Cuesta Pass, which is north of San Luis Obisopo, en route to Salinas.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qzME1DNQp7NdjoYu6

To be honest, I highly doubt that you'll end up on a train with "loads of people having fun being sociable". For the most part, people keep to themselves, and in my experience, virtually no one wants to sit down and play a board game until the end. Also, they almost never provide games on board, so you would likely have to bring them yourself. I also disagree with your logic that you wouldn't be able to be social in a sleeper. You can still go to the lounge car if you're in a sleeper, so the only real difference is that you won't have as many people near your seat, and in my experience, people try to keep quiet and keep to themselves in the coaches anyway. And remember that a crowded train means more noise, more smells (coach passengers don't have access to a shower), and a more packed lounge car, meaning it could be very hard to find a seat.

There's a difference between a train being crowded and the people on board wanting to socialize, have a few drinks, and play games. I would say that no matter what season or specific day, there will be a sufficient number of people onboard to socialize with, if they are willing to do so, but the fact is that most people don't want to have a few beers with complete strangers, and don't want to sit in the lounge car playing board games or card games. Also note that you're not allowed to consume alcohol in the coaches anyway.

But if you're really dead set on being on a packed train, which I really don't recommend, peak season is usually summertime for most of the western long distance routes. Could you remind us what train you plan on taking?

NOTE: This is all from my personal experience on crowded trains and socializing on Amtrak. I get that I might be in the minority on this one.
What you are telling me is that Amtrak has changed over the years. Back in the 70's and early 80's as I was growing up my parents always took our family on Amtrak for vacations. We never flew. My parents spent hours at a time playing cards and board games with people they met on the train. My brothers and sisters and I met other kids played games as well. In fact people rarely slept. I have not taken an Amtrak trip in over 20 years and things have definitely changed. People in general didn't keep quietly to themselves back then. People brought aboard a change of clothes and took bird baths and brushed their teeth to stay fresh. We met lots of folks and can recall only one time we came across a family that was in a sleeping compartment. However, I understand we live in a different day and time. So I will lower my expectation and make sure I have plenty shows/movies to watch on my laptop. But I will still plan to bring a change clothes and freshen up. That I won't change! I will be traveling on numerous routes over the next couple of years traveling through the Chicago hub. I definitely want to try the Starlight and the Silver Services and have to at least once head south on the Crescent and/or City of New Orleans.

Last edited by a moderator:

What you are telling me is that Amtrak has changed over the years. Back in the 70's and early 80's as I was growing up my parents always took our family on Amtrak for vacations. We never flew. My parents spent hours at a time playing cards and board games with people they met on the train. My brothers and sisters and I met other kids played games as well. In fact people rarely slept. I have not taken an Amtrak trip in over 20 years and things have definitely changed. People in general didn't keep quietly to themselves back then. People brought aboard a change of clothes and took bird baths and brushed their teeth to stay fresh. We met lots of folks and can recall only one time we came across a family that was in a sleeping compartment. However, I understand we live in a different day and time. So I will lower my expectation and make sure I have plenty shows/movies to watch on my laptop. But I will still plan to bring a change clothes and freshen up. That I won't change! I will be traveling on numerous routes over the next couple of years traveling through the Chicago hub. I definitely want to try the Starlight and the Silver Services and have to at least once head south on the Crescent and/or City of New Orleans.
All of that is dead on. I would recommend you consider a sleeper, if you can afford it, since I really don't think it will have any adverse effect on your ability to socialize, and you would get to enjoy total privacy, a bed, free meals, and access to a shower. It's just a vastly nicer experience than coach in pretty much every way. Just figured I'd put that out there.

You know you have a valid point I didn't consider. The train was near the end of the route. Doing a little quick research, it appears the train is the Crescent and it hit the truck at Ellisville, MS, which is near Laurel, MS. That means the train's only major stop remaining was New Orleans. That explains it. That's good to know because I was like "how could a train serving stops such as NY, Atlanta, New Orleans only have 59 people on board". That train probably had hundreds of people earlier but now that one major stop remained, it was down to 59. Thanks!!
Except the train was #20, which originated on New Orleans.

I doubt that you'll have much luck with board games and such, as people today have short attention spans (present company included). The only way I've ever been able to play a game on board is if I brought along my own set of players...and my extended family mostly plays 42 (dominos) and dominos don't work all that well on a moving train for obvious reasons.

However, if your social bug can be sated by short but friendly personal conversations with strangers, you're likely to find the dining car and lounge car on a long distance train to be a target rich environment. Not the coaches, so much...most people in a coach seat just want to be left alone and find it a bit creepy if others push attention on them. In the lounge car or dining car, On The Other Hand, it's a much more accepted practice.

The equipment on the train actually has a lot to do with the "sociability" factor.

I consistently find Superliner trains with a Sightseer Lounge much more social that Viewliner/Amfleet II long distance trains, primarily due to the lounge car. The cafe car layout with all tables simply does not encourage socialization in the way the Superliner Sightseer does. People use the tables to eat, and then they leave. Also the crew monopolizing multiple tables (I have seen up to 3 used by the crew) doesn't help.

It was the #20 Crescent, which is northbound. The train had almost the entire route left.

I doubt that you'll have much luck with board games and such, as people today have short attention spans (present company included). The only way I've ever been able to play a game on board is if I brought along my own set of players...and my extended family mostly plays 42 (dominos) and dominos don't work all that well on a moving train for obvious reasons.

However, if your social bug can be sated by short but friendly personal conversations with strangers, you're likely to find the dining car and lounge car on a long distance train to be a target rich environment. Not the coaches, so much...most people in a coach seat just want to be left alone and find it a bit creepy if others push attention on them. In the lounge car or dining car, On The Other Hand, it's a much more accepted practice.
Exactly. Most people don't want to commit to a full board or card game, so most people will limit the interactions with strangers to short conversations. And in coach, people usually just want to keep to themselves, and not disturb others who might be resting. This goes back to my point that he almost certainly won't be able to socialize any more in coach than he would in a sleeper...

There is one way to see how full the train will be on a given day - just look for days with high fares or that explicitly say that there are only a few seats (or rooms) left. Of course the side effect of this is that you'd be paying those high fares...

All this talk of socializing on long distance trains reminds me of many rides in my 'younger days'...plenty of 'party hardy' experiences. Even the domes, lounges, and observation cars of the pre-Superliner SFZ would keep the bar tender busy until after midnight, and then he or she would give a 'last call', and sell us multiple rounds to keep the party going into the wee hours...

When the Superliner era came...it continued in the Sightseer Lounge lower level. Back when John Madden would happen to be aboard (rode 3 times when he was), he did not hibernate in his room, but would 'hold court' in the lounge, talking football. Having a sleeper could be advantageous if you happened to "get lucky"....now don't judge, those were 'different times'...
default_wink.png
default_smile.png

Back then, the best party train of all was the Montrealer...especially on Friday's....but other trains like The Broadway Limited were good, too...

All this talk of socializing on long distance trains reminds me of many rides in my 'younger days'...plenty of 'party hardy' experiences. Even the domes, lounges, and observation cars of the pre-Superliner SFZ would keep the bar tender busy until after midnight, and then he or she would give a 'last call', and sell us multiple rounds to keep the party going into the wee hours...

When the Superliner era came...it continued in the Sightseer Lounge lower level. Back when John Madden would happen to be aboard (rode 3 times when he was), he did not hibernate in his room, but would 'hold court' in the lounge, talking football. Having a sleeper could be advantageous if you happened to "get lucky"....now don't judge, those were 'different times'...
default_wink.png
default_smile.png

Back then, the best party train of all was the Montrealer...especially on Friday's....but other trains like The Broadway Limited were good, too...
Yes that is the Amtrak I remember. Those were good times. When I was kid, my parents drank for numerous hours in the lounge and we got to slip away and go all over the train. We weren't too mischievous!! As a college student I then got to hang out in the lounge. I stopped taking the train because of my job and scheduling and had to start flying. Now I would like to return to those days but it's all different now.

You are allowed to consume alcohol anywhere onboard. You may only consume alcohol you bring onboard with your sleeping accommodation (since it's not "public").

default_wink.png
default_smile.png

Yes that is the Amtrak I remember. Those were good times. When I was kid, my parents drank for numerous hours in the lounge and we got to slip away and go all over the train. We weren't too mischievous!! As a college student I then got to hang out in the lounge. I stopped taking the train because of my job and scheduling and had to start flying. Now I would like to return to those days but it's all different now.
It's funny you say that, because I remember the one big train trip we took as a family growing up was on the San Francisco Zephyr back in 1981, and I had a blast as a kid running all over the train with my sister while my parents were in the lounge. I swear we were even running around the baggage car, but that may just be my imagination. Didn't get in any trouble, or really cause any trouble. I can still recall running past a conductor, a nice old guy who just smiled at us. Then we took the Southwest Limited back from LA and a lady working on that train right away sent us back to our seats and told my mom we were too young to be roaming around by ourselves. Knowing more about trains now, I'm guessing some of that was due to the different company cultures that had been passed down from the private railroads.

Good luck with your frat house style of travel.

I get partying on a train heading to a destination where lots of travelers are wearing the same hats so to speak and I enjoy a conversation while dinning or in the lounge/cafe car. But, having a roomette with the luxury of being able to shut it all down, kick back and watch the world go by is my thing.

All this talk of socializing on long distance trains reminds me of many rides in my 'younger days'...plenty of 'party hardy' experiences. Even the domes, lounges, and observation cars of the pre-Superliner SFZ would keep the bar tender busy until after midnight, and then he or she would give a 'last call', and sell us multiple rounds to keep the party going into the wee hours...When the Superliner era came...it continued in the Sightseer Lounge lower level.
It's funny you say that, because I remember the one big train trip we took as a family growing up was on the San Francisco Zephyr back in 1981, and I had a blast as a kid running all over the train with my sister while my parents were in the lounge. I swear we were even running around the baggage car, but that may just be my imagination. Didn't get in any trouble, or really cause any trouble. I can still recall running past a conductor, a nice old guy who just smiled at us.
I have similar memories from my own childhood trips but that was back in a different era when kids were allowed to have experiences beyond the umbilical cord.

Good luck with your frat house style of travel.

I get partying on a train heading to a destination where lots of travelers are wearing the same hats so to speak and I enjoy a conversation while dinning or in the lounge/cafe car. But, having a roomette with the luxury of being able to shut it all down, kick back and watch the world go by is my thing.
Well I hope OP can take a hint if others would prefer to be left alone. I've ran into plenty of fellow travelers that just can't seem to take a hint. Its not so easy to head back to the sleeper on a corridor train. Even brightly colored earbuds and headphones just isn't enough of a hint.

default_wink.png
default_smile.png

It's funny you say that, because I remember the one big train trip we took as a family growing up was on the San Francisco Zephyr back in 1981, and I had a blast as a kid running all over the train with my sister while my parents were in the lounge. I swear we were even running around the baggage car, but that may just be my imagination. Didn't get in any trouble, or really cause any trouble. I can still recall running past a conductor, a nice old guy who just smiled at us. Then we took the Southwest Limited back from LA and a lady working on that train right away sent us back to our seats and told my mom we were too young to be roaming around by ourselves. Knowing more about trains now, I'm guessing some of that was due to the different company cultures that had been passed down from the private railroads.
Maybe it was a coach/baggage Superliner car.

You are allowed to consume alcohol anywhere onboard. You may only consume alcohol you bring onboard with your sleeping accommodation (since it's not "public").
I had thought that you could only consume alcohol purchased onboard in the car your purchased it (so no drinking in the coaches, period). That's not the case?

Back