California Zephyr Trip report. 6 from emy to chi departing emy 8/21.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flew out from Chicago 8/20 On United. Booked this trip at the last minute. Was lucky to get a roomette for $487. It is roomette 20 in the 640 car. The flights out of Chicago were delayed because of thunderstorms. I arrived at the hgi Emeryville at 2 am. Got up at 7 am, ate breakfast and caught the 8:10 am shuttle to emy.

Waited outside by the tracks. Then at 8:35 an Amtrak employee lined up all of the sleeping car passengers. Since I happened to be the closest to him he made me the leader. He instructed me to lead all the sleeping car pax down the platform to stand next to a white sign. Once we reached the designated area the train pulled in. The conductor was at the door to the 640 car. He quickly scanned my ticket and sent me upstairs.

The sca sharlene makes a good first impression. IMG_1534866954.918695.jpg

Flew out from Chicago 8/20 On United. Booked this trip at the last minute. Was lucky to get a roomette for $487. It is roomette 20 in the 640 car. The flights out of Chicago were delayed because of thunderstorms. I arrived at the hgi Emeryville at 2 am. Got up at 7 am, ate breakfast and caught the 8:10 am shuttle to emy.

Waited outside by the tracks. Then at 8:35 an Amtrak employee lined up all of the sleeping car passengers. Since I happened to be the closest to him he made me the leader. He instructed me to lead all the sleeping car pax down the platform to stand next to a white sign. Once we reached the designated area the train pulled in. The conductor was at the door to the 640 car. He quickly scanned my ticket and sent me upstairs.

The sca sharlene makes a good first impression.
attachicon.gif
IMG_1534866954.918695.jpg
Well done Sharlene!

dhMeAzK.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharlene is definitely a winner. Came by and visited with each passenger. She saw I had put the seats down to nap and offered to make the bed. When I said I was ok she offered to put a sheet down. Classy. She explained everything in a personable way.

We sat at Martinez for a few minutes, pulled out of the station and then stopped for a while. I was half dozing so I think it was about 20 minutes.

Lunch in the diner was a classic. Three great table companions with great conversation. We enjoyed the view out of Colfax. I enjoyed the macaroni and cheese. Dessert choices were crepe brûlée, chocolate cake, cheesecake. Did not ask about mussels. Nor did I hear anyone order them.

Sharlene is definitely one of the top scas. Came through the 640 car to make sure we had our doors open for dinner reservations. Mine was open. I do not want to miss it like I did last fall.

Wondering if I am going to get questioned by Reno’s not so finest Dunkin Donut eating keystone cops. I fit there profile. Bought a one way ticket at last minute.

Interesting: I went downstairs to get off and stretch my legs. The door to the 640 car was closed so I decided to go to next car to get off. Then somebody from the outside opened the door. Two plainclothes police officers boarded and one had a manifest. I stepped aside and got off to walk on the platform. There were no Amtrak crew members by the door.

The next conductor arrived and I told him the police had opened the door. I didn’t want him thinking I had opened it. He said that was ok and went on his business.

I was never approached so I don’t know who they wanted. I wonder what they do if the passengers they are looking for are not in their rooms.

Lunch in the diner was a classic. Three great table companions with great conversation. We enjoyed the view out of Colfax. I enjoyed the macaroni and cheese. Dessert choices were crepe brûlée, chocolate cake, cheesecake. Did not ask about mussels. Nor did I hear anyone order them.
Sounds like a new menu. Are we talking about the microwaved mac n' cheese on the kids menu, or actual decent mac n' cheese for adults?

I make sure to never be in my room when stopping at Reno or Albuquerque. Once when returning to my room on the Chief, I heard the passengers in the Roomette across from me complaining to the attendant about the questioning.

Glad you're having a great time! I love the zephyr so much.

Sounds like a new menu. Are we talking about the microwaved mac n' cheese on the kids menu, or actual decent mac n' cheese for adults?
It’s the same menu. No pecan pie. IMG_1534901274.958077.jpg

A great night’s sleep. UP installed concrete ties several years ago and the ride is very smooth.

I showered in Salt Lake City. Much easier when train is not moving. We departed on time.

Great reporting, Steve! And so timely. I just booked the CZ (SAC-CHI) for travel in early December. Some of the great scenery will be missed because of shorter days at that time of year, but your posts are giving me a wonderful preview of what to expect.

Thanks!

IMG_1534974890.178478.jpg

Eagle river joins Colorado river at Dotsero. A storm from last night in red canyon eroded red soil into the Colorado river. Thus the red color.

IMG_1534974980.593019.jpg

Now back to normal color other side of red canyon.

IMG_1534975021.347770.jpg

Met 5 and had slow orders thus 30 minutes late at Granby.

Got 6:45 dinner reservation. Denver pax got dibs on the early reservations. I’m ok because I’m not hungry.

Nice photos! What time (approx) did you take these, if you don't mind me asking?

Back