Metro North issues RFP for new Dual Mode Locomotives

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Jog would be a good thing on new Empire Service locomotives. I was once on an Empire Service train that I think got stuck in a gap arriving at one of the platforms at Penn Station, luckily the first car had already platformed so in the dark they opened the doors to only the front car of the train and had everyone gather their belongings and walk through the train to that door so we could get off at the Western end of the platform. I looked at one of the train on time performance websites and saw that our train was blocking the Empire Connection for a good hour delaying lots of other trains while they did whatever they needed to do to un-jog (I think) our train. It's possible a different part of the locomotive also died.

It would be interesting to know if MNRR wants to limit the weight of the SC-44 locos going into Park Avenue tunnels. If so the Amtrak concept of a DC 3rd rail shoes power car might have merit especially for heavy battery storage weight.

a power car is pure ******** , FRA does not allow power in excess of 64 volt to go from one unit to other unless permanently coupled and only to be separated in shops. clue this s why married pair MU cars are coupled with drawbar.

Since MNRR will presumably be one of the primary users of this battery doohickey, one would presume that they will get a married pair as their triple mode locomotives. I wonder if their version will have any seating in the power car.

Also, has there been any further publiched material on the Comet replacement cars? Weren't they talking about MLVs at one point, at least for Connecticut?

Since MNRR will presumably be one of the primary users of this battery doohickey, one would presume that they will get a married pair as their triple mode locomotives. I wonder if their version will have any seating in the power car.

Also, has there been any further publiched material on the Comet replacement cars? Weren't they talking about MLVs at one point, at least for Connecticut?
What's an MLV?

Back