Tri Rail Train Derailment Deerfield Beach 8/14/2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRR

OBS Chief
Just saw that Tri Rail commuter train derailed just south of the Deerfield Beach Station. No injuries but they are busing passengers.

Since Amtrak uses these tracks, I am sure the Meteor will be delayed. Right now they are showing a 5:57 PM arrival but that's not likely.

97 is past Deerfield Beach. Net hit was about 1 hour. It left West Palm about half hour down, and left Deerfield a little over 1.5 hours late.

The derailment is very minor, looks like just the truck of the locomotive away from the train, blocking only one track.

The initial report I saw said it was southbound but it was northbound so on a different track than the Meteor.

The initial report I saw said it was southbound but it was northbound so on a different track than the Meteor.
Both tracks are bidirectional so which track it was on should not matter. Actually, the derailment happened apparently as it was changing tracks.

Both tracks are bidirectional so which track it was on should not matter. Actually, the derailment happened apparently as it was changing tracks.
Too fast through a switch or something?
The report is that it was going 6 mph. Further, they were traveling on the southbound track. While they are bidirectional, the Southbound trains normally run on the western tracks and the Northbound trains on the eastern track.

They can and do switch around where necessary. For instance, in WestPalm Beach, the 97 Meteor arrives at the station on the eastern track at the station, and then after departure switches to the western track for the rest of the trip. The Tri Rail southbound, however, uses the western track in West Palm Beach. The is a bridge walkway over the tracks at WPB but Amtrak always uses the eastern track at WPB.

Back