Stolen and crashed Horizon airliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that's the kind of thing you don't hear about every day.
default_huh.png

Airline officials said they are not sure how the ground services worker learned to operate a plane, much less perform flying stunts.
Taking off and doing barrel rolls is pretty basic. If you have a consumer grade flight sim or even watch some basic flight tutorial videos, it won't take long before you can pull that stuff off. My point is, it's much more impressive and surprising that he was able to get into the plane and get it rolling than the fact that he was able to do some basic flying.

Everyone seen this story? Incredible how he managed to pull the chocks, start it up, taxi and take off...

Suppose he learned a few things on his job, and the rest on internet flight simulators...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/stolen-plane-crashes-unauthorized-takeoff-seattle-airport-source/story?id=57141064
Unfortunately for him he didn't learn how to land.
I think I heard speculation on the news this morning that he was planning his suicide and this was how he wanted his life to end.

It's gone viral Worldwide!

I'm never flown a Jet, but that looks like some fancy flying to me!

Just like the 911 Maniac Pilots,Landing wasn't part of the plan!
That's not a jet. The Q400 is a turboprop. Fortunately it doesn't sound like this guy was trying to hurt or kill anyone like most other hijackers. Obviously it was a terrible idea and the guy died and destroyed a plane, but at least no one else got hurt and no other property was destroyed.

Not to get nitpicky, but a turboprop is a jet. It just happens to use the jet engines to turn the props, as opposed to a piston engine. Q-400 is a pretty decent size plane, Only ones I've seen around here are Porter Airlines Newark to Toronto/Bishop, but its predecessor Dash - 8 is not uncommon at all.

We in the industry would refer to the Q400 as a turbine, not as a jet.

We in the industry would refer to the Q400 as a turbine, not as a jet.
I've never heard anyone outside the industry refer to turboprops as jets either. Well until now anyway. That being said I have heard hundreds of laypeople refer to turbofans as jets. I don't know if that's considered accurate or not but everyone seems to be on the same page about it so maybe it doesn't matter.

So now, this will create a whole new can of worms for aircraft operating area security procedures, in an effort to prevent any recurrence's. They require a lengthy background check for all ground worker's to access the area, but perhaps they will add psyche evaluation's as well...

Not sure if this guy would have been detected that way or not, as he sounded depressed, but otherwise sane. Perhaps some system of tighter aircraft security, with no access by less than two people at a time, or something like that...
default_unsure.png

Not to get nitpicky, but a turboprop is a jet. It just happens to use the jet engines to turn the props, as opposed to a piston engine. Q-400 is a pretty decent size plane, Only ones I've seen around here are Porter Airlines Newark to Toronto/Bishop, but its predecessor Dash - 8 is not uncommon at all.
Firstly, American Eagle (Piedmont Airlines) and United Express (CommutAir) recently lost all their Dash 8s, which is a real shame, since I loved riding in the nine row, 37 seat Q200 a couple years ago. Now Porter is the last operator in the country, and Air Canada Jazz is the only other operator on the continent running them.

Secondly, while turboprops and jets are the same under the hood, with a jet, almost all of the thrust is from the exhaust. The fan just brings the air in to "be exploded". With a turboprop (and of course with regular piston props), the thrust comes from the propeller. This is why all prop engines are measured in horsepower and all jets are measured in pounds of thrust.

So now, this will create a whole new can of worms for aircraft operating area security procedures, in an effort to prevent any recurrence's. They require a lengthy background check for all ground worker's to access the area, but perhaps they will add psyche evaluation's as well...

Not sure if this guy would have been detected that way or not, as he sounded depressed, but otherwise sane. Perhaps some system of tighter aircraft security, with no access by less than two people at a time, or something like that...
default_unsure.png
Redacted! Guilty to being a Troll here!

Last edited by a moderator:
You still see them all over the place because there were so many. AA went from over 200 ERJ 145 to around 80 last year Now 80 is not a small number, but they got rid of loads. Delta also. They are adding more larger RJs (E-170/175) and CRJ-700 and 900 wherever possible as contracts expire or at wholly owned subsidiaries.United a little slower, but catching up. Also, airlines may fly planes on certain routes where they make sense but eliminate them in lots of other places. I have seen plenty at both JFK and LGA, but not as many as a few years ago.

The 50 seaters are indeed greatly reduced. They are still going to small cities though. Some regionals still operate as many as they can staff because they are really cheap now. Delta has relegated them to mainly operate in the middle of the country now. You know, can't put those coastal elites on those small torture tubes.

default_unsure.png
Solution from Gun nuts,the NRA and Right Wing Politicians bought and paid for by them:
If everyone working around Airports is armed, they can prevent this from happening again, just like arming teachers will stop School Shootings.

What could possibly go wrong?
I am a gun enthusiast and this is a false accusation and grave misrepresentation. Even if everyone had guns, this guy could have stolen the plane anyway since he did it covertly. If he hadn't done it covertly, he wouldn't have been able to steal it anyway. No one in the gun community is advocating for "everyone working around Airports" to be armed.

You still see them all over the place because there were so many. AA went from over 200 ERJ 145 to around 80 last year Now 80 is not a small number, but they got rid of loads. Delta also. They are adding more larger RJs (E-170/175) and CRJ-700 and 900 wherever possible as contracts expire or at wholly owned subsidiaries.United a little slower, but catching up. Also, airlines may fly planes on certain routes where they make sense but eliminate them in lots of other places. I have seen plenty at both JFK and LGA, but not as many as a few years ago.
They brought back most of them into service. Now AA has 40 E140 and 121 E145 in service, but the CR2 is getting gutted. Perhaps a totally different situation at DL or UA, but the E-Jets are generally pretty nice rides. The Skywest CR7 is terrible in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well at least AA's smallest E135 37 seater's are long gone...

Riding those were as close to a 'corporate jet' as I ever got...
default_smile.png

Back