California Zephyr in March

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking at booking from Reno to Emeryville. However on my preferred date (Saturday March 16th), Amtrak shows the train as already sold out - all other dates around that are still available. Is the Zephyr really sold out already that far in advance, or just not running or diverted on that one date?

You could purchase a ticket from Chicago to Emeryville departing Chicago on March 14, 2019 from the Trainjam website when they open for sale. But you will have to be quick about it — all tickets sell out in less than 24 hours, IIRC

You could purchase a ticket from Chicago to Emeryville departing Chicago on March 14, 2019 from the Trainjam website when they open for sale. But you will have to be quick about it — all tickets sell out in less than 24 hours, IIRC
You'll also have to put up with a train full of developers on their computers (including the SSL).

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll also have to put up with a train full of developers on their computers (including the SSL).
And that is bad how? (by saying "put up" you're implying its a bad thing).

And that is bad how? (by saying "put up" you're implying its a bad thing).
Here's a sample of what Train Jam looks like. It's a guaranteed sold out train so it will be packed. To be clear, my dad's and a developer and I do programming as well, so that's not what I'm warning the OP about. Just that it will be a guaranteed packed train.

train_jam_observation_car.0-624x416.jpg

Also bear in mind that it's significantly more expensive than just buying a ticket through Amtrak and they'll also be obligated to take part in the event and do some developing. I'm sure they wouldn't make a big issue if the OP didn't work on a game with the other developers, but that is sort of the point of the whole event.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not enjoy being on a train, a plane, a bus, a ship, in a restaurant...in fact anywhere over a long period when a large group dominates everything....that is unless, of course,

I am a part of that group....

I have been on a cruise, where a large convention dominated everything, closing popular otherwise public venues for "private event", etc. Holding large blocks of seats to shows and things.

I do research now, and avoid those situations...
default_wink.png

I would not enjoy being on a train, a plane, a bus, a ship, in a restaurant...in fact anywhere over a long period when a large group dominates everything....that is unless, of course,

I am a part of that group....

I have been on a cruise, where a large convention dominated everything, closing popular otherwise public venues for "private event", etc. Holding large blocks of seats to shows and things.

I do research now, and avoid those situations...
default_wink.png
This!

I don’t think Trainjam rules require everyone to participate on the train in coding. Nor are possession of tickets to the Game Developers Conference required in order to ride this train.

Just be aware that there will be two people assigned to every roomette and bedroom and coach seat. Don’t know how many are assigned to each family room and handicapped room.

I don’t think Trainjam rules require everyone to participate on the train in coding. Nor are possession of tickets to the Game Developers Conference required in order to ride this train.

Just be aware that there will be two people assigned to every roomette and bedroom and coach seat. Don’t know how many are assigned to each family room and handicapped room.
While I don’t think it said how many people go in each H room, there are two people in every other accommodation, including the Famiky Room.

Who in the heck wants to stare at a computer screen when you have that beautiful view just outside the CZ window?

Back