MTA: What if...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, just about everything Byford stood for was wiped away with this sudden cancellation of the 7 for three months with zero communication or warning. And, as typical, "We apologize" bs from MTA.

Would New Yorkers really prefer 24/7 subways with 2-3 month shut downs or no permanent shut downs with 5-6 hours of maintenance done every night?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would New Yorkers really prefer 24/7 subways with 2-3 month shut downs or no permanent shut downs with 5-6 hours of maintenance done every night?
It really depends. On lines that only get a substantial passenger during rush hour or during weekdays, it would make a lot of sense to shut them down at night and do maintenance then. On lines that get plenty of ridership round the clock, that might not make sense. Remember that the MTA almost never shuts down a line altogether 24/7 for months at a time. Maybe it won't run on weekends or it won't serve a few stations, but I don't know of any cases in recent years where an entire route was shut down completely for any significant amount of time.

MTA also has one of the worst maintained subway systems among the major such systems in the world. Something needs to be done to fix that. Whether that is just a matter of spending more money or changing how maintenance is done is not clear. But whatever they are doing now is not really addressing the issues as far as I can tell.

MTA also has one of the worst maintained subway systems among the major such systems in the world. Something needs to be done to fix that. Whether that is just a matter of spending more money or changing how maintenance is done is not clear. But whatever they are doing now is not really addressing the issues as far as I can tell.
Yet it costs more than any other system in the world to build new tracks.

Back