Points Where Does It Stop 30%

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snljamie0518

Service Attendant
I have questions. I want to ask all the "experts" on here because the AMTRAK website is confusing. I have a lot of points mostly from doing surveys. If I wanted to use them, can I use them for both me & my husband? Are the points good for round trips? Are they good for the Rail Pass? How are the points used & how far can the points take me?

Also, if we wanted to go to NYC does the train still stop at Penn Station or does it stop at Grand Central?

We are trying to figure out where to go right now around this time of year. We want to take advantage of that 30% off deal or try to.

Amtrak round trips are 2 one way trips, so that is not an issue. Points are assigned a value against whatever the fare is in dollars, so how far a given set of points can take you is very variable. Trains are going to both Penn Station and Grand Central at the present time, your tag shows Colorado, that would imply changing in Chicago, and connecting to NY. Unless this was happening right away, trains will likely all be back to Penn by the time you travel. Not sure of the Rail Pass answer, and am reasonably certain husband and wife can be booked on one, but am not 100%. points/dollar splitting may be a practical consideration to be separate..

I have a lot of points mostly from doing surveys.
What do you consider a lot of points? Our A/T trip to Orlando this month is 98,394 in points. You can mix & match all you want...just call the AGR agent.. I'm using points going down, paying cash coming back and using the nieces points to pay for the car both ways.. And yes...there really is no "r/t" per se...just two one-way trips! One phenomenon on the A/T is that in most cases...each direction is a different price....fares based on occupancy, direction, date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently this summer, all trains from upstate NY only use Grand Central Terminal. That is because of 1). Trackwork and 2) the bridge across the Harlem River has been removed. ALL other Amtrak trains continue to use Penn Station.

An award redemption can not be used with the value of the 30% discount or any other discounts (Senior, NARP, Saver fare, etc...). It is based on the NON-DISCOUNTED fare.

Also, if we wanted to go to NYC does the train still stop at Penn Station or does it stop at Grand Central?
As the_traveler said, all Empire Corridor trains (except the LSL, which isn't operating to NYC at all) are using Grand Central this summer. That consists of the Empire Service, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, and Ethan Allen Express. All trains on the Northeast Corridor still use Penn Station. And if you're traveling after Labor Day, all those trains will be running to Penn Station again anyway.

You can purchase a ticket with points that includes both you and your wife.
I am the wife so it would be for both me & my husband. Thats OK. You didnt know.
default_tongue.png

What do you consider a lot of points? Our A/T trip to Orlando this month is 98,394 in points. You can mix & match all you want...just call the AGR agent.. I'm using points going down, paying cash coming back and using the nieces points to pay for the car both ways.. And yes...there really is no "r/t" per se...just two one-way trips! One phenomenon on the A/T is that in most cases...each direction is a different price....fares based on occupancy, direction, date.
98,394 is pretty outrageous. I was thinking of a trip south in couple weeks and its 35,000 in a bedroom?

98,394 is pretty outrageous. I was thinking of a trip south in couple weeks and its 35,000 in a bedroom?
The 'price' in points converts to dollars using 34.5 points per dollar. At least that's what it should be, but Acela point prices require even more points per dollar. Also, sleeper prices are based on the 'value' fare for coach (times number of passengers), plus the accommodation charge. As the sleeper spaces get more and more sold, the price increases accordingly. They also jump up as the travel date approaches, too. Obviously, trying to find space before Labor Day at this point will likely encounter numerous 'sold out's.

And quite interestingly, when it gets down to only 1 or 2 available rooms on a train, the 'price' using points disappears (a blank space in the sleeper column), and only cash/credit prices will show up. I discovered that a couple weeks ago deciding whether or not to book using points vs credit. Obviously, Amtrak collects the maximum cash revenue for sleeper space when it gets close to sold out.

As reported by others on this forum, sometimes prices will drop as the travel date approaches. Most likely, one or more cancellations occurred. It could also be the release of a block of 'held' rooms for some tour group that didn't fill all the rooms, backed out completely, or didn't have the cash to pay for the tickets.

I have

3,958 points as of 07/31/18

I have

3,958 points as of 07/31/18
That's really not a lot. That's about $115 worth.

The 'price' in points converts to dollars using 34.5 points per dollar. At least that's what it should be, but Acela point prices require even more points per dollar. Also, sleeper prices are based on the 'value' fare for coach (times number of passengers), plus the accommodation charge. As the sleeper spaces get more and more sold, the price increases accordingly. They also jump up as the travel date approaches, too. Obviously, trying to find space before Labor Day at this point will likely encounter numerous 'sold out's.

And quite interestingly, when it gets down to only 1 or 2 available rooms on a train, the 'price' using points disappears (a blank space in the sleeper column), and only cash/credit prices will show up. I discovered that a couple weeks ago deciding whether or not to book using points vs credit. Obviously, Amtrak collects the maximum cash revenue for sleeper space when it gets close to sold out.

As reported by others on this forum, sometimes prices will drop as the travel date approaches. Most likely, one or more cancellations occurred. It could also be the release of a block of 'held' rooms for some tour group that didn't fill all the rooms, backed out completely, or didn't have the cash to pay for the tickets.
I agree prices change quickly. Im a shopper with flexibility. I checked multiple dates on Auto Train south this August and found some fares with bedroom and auto as low as 24,000 total points. I guess my point is I wouldnt use 98000 points for any one way train trip. I would fly.

Back