Viewliner Roomettes solo

• Thread starter Gracious Traveler
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gracious Traveler

Taking a Viewliner Roomette solo for the first time; frankly because I see they are roomier and everyone seems to like them. Does anyone know if I choose to sleep in the top bunk and not use the lower bunk, if the toilet is still usable during the night? Thanks in advance.

The toilet is usable during the night whether you sleep on bottom bunk or top. If you sleep on top, you would just need to climb down. Although I prefer the bottom bunk, many people prefer to sleep on the top bunk in a Viewliner.

That is probably the best thing about the Viewliner roomette. Having the upper window and added headed room makes the VL upper a much better, less claustrophobic space than the upper in a SL sleeper.

In the VL, which is what the OP mentions, they are listed as the same width, with the upper being a bit shorter in length. In a SL sleeper the upper is listed as 4" narrower.

In the VL, which is what the OP mentions, they are listed as the same width, with the upper being a bit shorter in length. In a SL sleeper the upper is listed as 4" narrower.
The Viewliner Roomette upper berth has an area cut out at the foot that is very narrow. I find it to be quite uncomfortable.

How narrow is very narrow?
default_huh.png

It can not be any narrower than the lower berth (which is narrower by the feet to accommodate the toilet). I find the width to put your feet very comfortable.(The head portion is wider.)

The narrowing of both bunks at the toilet end of the room (for lack of a better way to put it) is probably my least favorite thing about the Viewliner roomette, because you don't have the option of sleeping facing either direction. I prefer to sleep with my feet pointing in the direction of travel. Once, when my room was oriented the other way (with the wider ends of the bunks toward the front of the train), I tried sleeping with my head at the narrow end. It did not work.

That is probably the best thing about the Viewliner roomette. Having the upper window and added headed room makes the VL upper a much better, less claustrophobic space than the upper in a SL sleeper.
Agreed. The top bunk on a VL roomette is infinitely better than that of Superliners. Plenty of space, great views, etc. I 100% agree that anyone traveling solo in a roomette leaves the seats up and brings down the top bunk. It’s the best of both worlds..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, every one of you great travelers. I'm sold, and can't wait 'til my train pulls in! (P.S. I need and book Bedrooms on Superliners)

default_huh.png

It can not be any narrower than the lower berth (which is narrower by the feet to accommodate the toilet). I find the width to put your feet very comfortable.(The head portion is wider.)
I think it is less than a foot wide at the end. The lower berth has a much smaller cutout for the toilet.

default_huh.png

I think it is less than a foot wide at the end. The lower berth has a much smaller cutout for the toilet.
It is not less than a foot wide at the end. You probably lose at most 4” at the narrow end of the bunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
The upper berth in Viewliner Roomettes is more or less exactly as wide as the lower berth at the narrow end. If there is any difference it is less than a few inches at most. That is more or less the width of the seat at the WC end. The upper berth in the lowered position sits precisely on top of the backrest structure of that seat with no room to spare.

Well, I guess I'm wrong about the size of the upper--it's been a long time since I actually slept in one. But I'm quite sure the cutout is bigger than on the lower--I'd like to see a photo or some actual measurements.

The best thing about the Viewliner top berth is the windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back