CL from SOB to WAS (more questions)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcrossTheOcean

Train Attendant
I posted a while ago with a list of questions. Now that our trip is less than a month out, I have some more.

We are a family of four traveling in two roomettes across the hall from each other. In addition to our carry-ons (backpacks to hold what we need for a night on the train), I plan to check at least one piece of luggage.

1. My son is considered disabled in the country where we live. He has an ID saying so, but the ID itself looks rather fake (no seal, no holograms, etc.). Do you think the ID will suffice for his “passenger with disability” fare, or should I bring a copy of his diagnosis (in a foreign langauge)? The ID looks like the top one (solid green) on this page.

2. I worry about my son waking up at 5 am and either doing vocal stims or talking to himself. If he wakes me up from across the hall, where on the train can I take him so he doesn't bother other passengers (as much)?

3. Will the typical bumps and rattles of the train be loud enough that I will want earplugs and can expect that other passengers will wear them, too?

4. Is there a way to secure the door of a roomette open? If it isn't latched closed, how much will it slide open and closed as the train speeds up or slows down?

5. How is the direction of the head and foot of the bed decided in a roomette? Is the pillow always to the left when looking at the window? Head pointing in same direction the train moves? For some reason, traveling “feet first” seems odd to me.

6. Can luggage be stowed under the seats in a roomette? I have not seem someone suggest this, but there appears to be open space down there in the youtube “tours” I have watched. I am reluctant to put a backpack on the step because there will be kids climbing up to the top bunks.

7. "Household items” like appliances are on Amtrak's list of prohibited items. I understand them not wanting a passenger to check a washing machine as a piece of luggage, but does that rule apply to small appliances as well? I was planning to have a toaster in my checked luggage.

8. When we get to WAS, I want to start sight-seeing as soon as possible, then come back for our luggage before checking into the hotel. What is the best strategy for that? I heard it can take a while before checked luggage is ready. Do we get something to eat, collect our checked luggage, then drop everything in the lounge? Drop our carry-ons in the lounge right away and then come back for checked luggage when we are good and ready?

9. And on our last day, I want to check-out of the hotel and do some last-chance sight-seeing before we have to board the CL. What is the best way to handle check-in and baggage drop? I don't want to carry my pajamas and toothbrush with me all day, but if we check luggage first thing in the morning, we won't get it back to trade out the contents of my backpack before boarding the train.

The bedding can be oriented in whichever direction you want. Just let your Attendant know if you want to sleep head first or feet first in direction of travel. I personally don't care about direction, I sleep with my head next to the steps as I use them as a bedside table.

If your son wakes up early and is vocal, you can take him to the Lounge Car. There may be Coach passengers sleeping in there, but they're not supposed to. They have seats for sleeping.

If your son wakes up early and is vocal, you can take him to the Lounge Car. There may be Coach passengers sleeping in there, but they're not supposed to. They have seats for sleeping.
Sorry, just saw you're on the CL. Even better, the Dining Car is now a Lounge for Sleeper passengers only. Definitely the place to take your son if necessary.

Thank you. I am used to showing his "disability ID" in order to receive any discount for those with disabilities. I am glad there should be no issues.

My instinct is to take him to the sleeper lounge, but I wasn't sure if it was closed at certain times or if there is a better option.

Do I need a luggage check ticket to claim luggage several hours after the train arrives, or is it like at an airport where anyone can come in and take a suitcase that is just standing there?

Thank you. I am used to showing his "disability ID" in order to receive any discount for those with disabilities. I am glad there should be no issues.

My instinct is to take him to the sleeper lounge, but I wasn't sure if it was closed at certain times or if there is a better option.

Do I need a luggage check ticket to claim luggage several hours after the train arrives, or is it like at an airport where anyone can come in and take a suitcase that is just standing there?
The luggage will be locked up. You will need the claim tickets to obtain your luggage.

With regard to question 6, small items of luggage can be stored underneath the seats in the roomette (even small cases). However be aware that with the beds made up, access to items under the seats is difficult.

3. I don't wear earplugs myself when on the train, but you might want to bring some along if you or other family members are especially sensitive to noise. You can't assume others in the car will be wearing earplugs.

5. I think you can sleep either direction in the lower bunk, but only one way in the upper bunk would be safe to get in and out of--feet at the end of the bunk where you climb up.

6. There will be at least one, maybe more hooks in each roomette from which you can hang your backpack. Also some horizontal space next to the seat opposite the side used for climbing up to the upper bunk.

Great questions - sounds like you have experience and it is great to check ahead...

4 - roomette door - I don't know if it varies between trains - but I have had the door open and it did not move at all - only lock in the evening

7 - agree that no one will check your toaster - it also says no food and yet we have had items in our checked bags without trouble. I assume you either have a U.S. plug toaster or a set of adapter plugs

9 - do you have the ability to leave your bags at the hotel after check-out - then move to the train station later? This way you could have your overnight items when you want them - as well as having them be secure. Just a thought.

Have a great stay!

It always bothered me a little bit how baggage claim at an airport is usually in the non-secure area in a domestic terminal. I am glad that Amtrak keeps baggage more secure.

Great questions - sounds like you have experience and it is great to check ahead...

4 - roomette door - I don't know if it varies between trains - but I have had the door open and it did not move at all - only lock in the evening

7 - agree that no one will check your toaster - it also says no food and yet we have had items in our checked bags without trouble. I assume you either have a U.S. plug toaster or a set of adapter plugs

9 - do you have the ability to leave your bags at the hotel after check-out - then move to the train station later? This way you could have your overnight items when you want them - as well as having them be secure. Just a thought.

Have a great stay!
On the ICE train in German, the compartment doors are constantly sliding open and closed. It gets a little annoying.

I am definitely bringing food. Even if the breakfast has a lot of calories, I expect my family to get hungry before the CL arrives in Washington, especially if it is delayed. One of the two cardinal rules of traveling with kids, "Keep everyone fed and rested as best you can."

Leaving things behind the desk at the hotel adds another step (and Metro fare) to leaving Washington. I think I will have carry-ons for the train packed and leave them in the lounge, check-in and surrender our checked luggage, and have a seaparate bag to take with me for the day. I try to keep the pieces of luggage to a minimum, but this is going to be an exception to the rule.

Any news on how Amtrak has tweaked the menu on the CL and LSL this month?

1. My son is considered disabled in the country where we live. He has an ID saying so, but the ID itself looks rather fake (no seal, no holograms, etc.). Do you think the ID will suffice for his “passenger with disability” fare, or should I bring a copy of his diagnosis (in a foreign langauge)? The ID looks like the top one (solid green) on this page.
I highly doubt they'll give you a hard time on that. Pretending to be disabled to get a discount on Amtrak tickets is not exactly a common scam they're going to worry about.

2. I worry about my son waking up at 5 am and either doing vocal stims or talking to himself. If he wakes me up from across the hall, where on the train can I take him so he doesn't bother other passengers (as much)?
Unless he does this particularly loudly, I doubt anyone will hear. If he is loud enough for "the neighbors" to hear, the cafe car would probably the best place to take him.

3. Will the typical bumps and rattles of the train be loud enough that I will want earplugs and can expect that other passengers will wear them, too?
No. Unless you've got incredibly sensitive ears, that's not going to be noticeable enough to be an issue. If anything, it's the people in coach who will be wearing earplugs to drown out other passengers.

4. Is there a way to secure the door of a roomette open? If it isn't latched closed, how much will it slide open and closed as the train speeds up or slows down?
If it's fully closed, it usually won't slide open. Nonetheless, you should leave your curtains drawn and electronics/valuables out of plain sight if you're leaving your room for a while. I've never had an issue with anything getting stolen, especially since only sleeper pax are allowed in the sleeper cars, but you might as well keep that stuff of to the side.

5. How is the direction of the head and foot of the bed decided in a roomette? Is the pillow always to the left when looking at the window? Head pointing in same direction the train moves? For some reason, traveling “feet first” seems odd to me.
On Superliners, there is sadly no way of knowing what direction the car will be pointing. Since roomettes are on both sides of the aisle, rooms on one side will be traveling feet first and rooms on the other side will be traveling head first. For many people, traveling feet first is more comfortable, since you can sort of see where you're going. Traveling head first, you're going backwards, which can feel a bit uncomfortable and unsettling. Might I ask what train you're taking?

6. Can luggage be stowed under the seats in a roomette? I have not seem someone suggest this, but there appears to be open space down there in the youtube “tours” I have watched. I am reluctant to put a backpack on the step because there will be kids climbing up to the top bunks.
Unfortunately you can only fit a small backpack or similar item under the seats, however there will be room for one or two bags between the seats and the door. On Viewliners, there's a very sizable luggage area above the hallway in each room, where you can easily fit a few sizable suitcases. On Superliners, you'll need to put anything sizable in the main luggage area in the lower level of your sleeping car.

7. "Household items” like appliances are on Amtrak's list of prohibited items. I understand them not wanting a passenger to check a washing machine as a piece of luggage, but does that rule apply to small appliances as well? I was planning to have a toaster in my checked luggage.
They don't check people's bags, so I'm sure they won't care. If the bag is within the size restrictions, they're not going to care what's inside of it.

8. When we get to WAS, I want to start sight-seeing as soon as possible, then come back for our luggage before checking into the hotel. What is the best strategy for that? I heard it can take a while before checked luggage is ready. Do we get something to eat, collect our checked luggage, then drop everything in the lounge? Drop our carry-ons in the lounge right away and then come back for checked luggage when we are good and ready?
It usually doesn't take long for them to drop off checked bags. Just grab your bags, drop them off in ClubAcela, and move on with your day. Just make sure you pick them up before the lounge closes at the end of the day.

9. And on our last day, I want to check-out of the hotel and do some last-chance sight-seeing before we have to board the CL. What is the best way to handle check-in and baggage drop? I don't want to carry my pajamas and toothbrush with me all day, but if we check luggage first thing in the morning, we won't get it back to trade out the contents of my backpack before boarding the train.
Once you check your bags, you're going to get them back at your final destination. So you're going to have to put the stuff you'll need onboard in a bag that you're not checking.

Hope this helps!

I posted a while ago with a list of questions. Now that our trip is less than a month out, I have some more.

We are a family of four traveling in two roomettes across the hall from each other. In addition to our carry-ons (backpacks to hold what we need for a night on the train), I plan to check at least one piece of luggage.

1. Shouldn't be an issue at all. In the highly unlikely event someone asks, pretending not to understand English goes a long way here.
  2. Dining car or lounge car is your best option here.
  3. Only if you're very sensitive to noise...if you are, bring ear plugs. Honestly, the blowing of the train horn (for the numerous at-grade level crossings) is a lot more annoying than the track noise. A pair of ear plugs costs two bucks. Cheap insurance.
  4. There is a slight friction catch when a Superliner roomette door is fully open which helps to keep it from sliding shut, and you can close your curtain for privacy. However, if you slide the door shut but do not latch it, there is nothing to stop it from sliding open again when the train accelerates or decelerates.
  5. You may ask the attendant to make the berths up as you prefer. In the lower berth there is no real difference as to which direction you choose. However, for the upper berth there is only one reading light and the configuration of the steps makes access difficult unless the berth is made up with the head on the end of the room where the steps are. Since you can't see anything from the upper berth anyway (it's much like the accommodations aboard a submarine), this usually isn't a problem.
  6. You can stuff something about the size of a gym bag under each of the seats in a roomette, but you can't get to it when the room is configured for sleeping. You can put a medium-sized suitcase (airline carry-on size) on the step to the upper berth. There is a small closet in Superliner I roomettes; it's not big enough for a garment bag but it is big enough to hold your daytime clothes while you sleep (ask the attendant for hangers if they are not in the closet). In Superliner II roomettes the closet is replaced with an open hanging area which may be large enough for a garment bag. And that's it for in-room storage, but there is a large communal luggage rack on the lower level of each Superliner sleeper. You should be fine.
  7. Checked luggage is not inspected or x-rayed. Sometimes a drug dog from the local police department will give it a sniff, but they couldn't care less about toaster crumbs. That limitation is more to protect Amtrak from liability claims for an object breaking in transit.
  8. You may claim checked luggage up to (I believe) 48 hours after your arrival with no storage fees. But do save your luggage claim checks; Amtrak is very strict about not releasing passenger luggage without a matching claim check...much more so than the airlines, as you correctly note. For your purposes this works in your favor. Just be sure you pick it up before the baggage room closes.
  9. I would recommend that you pack your backpack with the items you will want while on board the train, then go directly to the station and check in your luggage. Carry the backpack with you while sightseeing and then aboard the train. The advantage here is that you only need to arrive back from sightseeing before your train leaves. If this is not acceptable to you and if you are returning from Washington to South Bend in a sleeper, then go to Union Station first thing in the morning and leave all of your baggage at ClubAcela. Go sightseeing, then come back at least an hour before your departure time to check your luggage for the trip. Important: Your luggage must be in the agent's hand a minimum of 45 minutes before scheduled departure. Having it with you waiting in line is not good enough, so allow extra time.
Some notes:

• The International Spy Museum is a worthwhile diversion, especially if your kids are teenagers. But my niece was only nine and she loved it.
  • You may ask the German Embassy to see if they can arrange tours for you of some of the restricted attractions in Washington. You may be unlikely to arrange a tour of the White House (although it never hurts to ask!), but your chances are much better of them arranging for a personal tour of the Capitol building from a friendly Congressman's staff or a special tour of the Library of Congress (which is a truly beautiful building). [Edit To Add: If you have family connections in or near South Bend, also have them contact their local Congressional representative. Every little bit helps.]
  • The Washington Metro is efficient and safe. A seven-day "short trip pass" is only $38.50 per person. Recommended for daily travel, although I'd still take a cab to and from the station with a lot of luggage.
  • Mount Vernon is highly recommended by all I know who have been there. I missed it in 2012; darn!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • The International Spy Museum is a worthwhile diversion, especially if your kids are teenagers. But my niece was only nine and she loved it.
Cannot agree more. Almost every time I've ever gone to D.C, I've done the Spy Museum. It's just always been super fascinating and fun for everyone, regardless of your age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back