v v

London to Baja California ~ across America

v v,

I eagerly await your travelogue.

I just booked an eastbound cruise on the QM2 for my honeymoon in April. It will be the first time outside of North America for me and my future wife. Once in the UK, we'll be riding trains around Europe!

2 hours ago, E60JPC said:

v v,

I eagerly await your travelogue.

I just booked an eastbound cruise on the QM2 for my honeymoon in April. It will be the first time outside of North America for me and my future wife. Once in the UK, we'll be riding trains around Europe!

Congratulations to you both, amazing way to start your married life.

If you want any pointers on UK or Europe travel just ask, there are a few Europeans on this forum and quite a few of your compatriots are familiar too.

Best wishes from Rosie and me.

Have decided to follow our original plans and travel to Baja California Mexico, but changing the where and how quite a lot and showing more caution. Here are the reasons...

It's a long story as to why we changed our minds a second time and decided to travel into a challenging Mexico, this is the short version! 

We read and re-read posts in this thread advising against travel to Mexico, we also researched other websites. Some close family don't think we should be in Mexico either, in particular at the moment with the Caravans. We took serious note of everything that was pointed out, all valued opinions, but we are very independent people and end up making our own decisions, right or wrong.

We weighed up everything we could read then used our own experience over 40 years of travelling. Decided it is a risk but to a lesser level than portrayed in the media, or frankly some of the understandable Government scaremongering. We have travelled in countries where our government didn't think it was a good idea to travel independently, we were advised only 2 years ago not to travel independently in Russia outside Moscow and St Petersburg, someone has got that piece of advice very wrong. We spent 2 months in an Arab country under martial law, the most welcoming country we have ever visited.

OK we may have got lucky in the past but we don't take deliberate chances, we are no longer agile enough to get out of the way of trouble.

Apparently the greatest risk in Baja is the northern half up to the border, we want to travel up to Guerrero Negro to whale watch extraordinaire, about half way up Baja. This is our considered plan.

Travel from SJD to La Paz. LP is less visited and we will get a feel of the place outside of an out and out tourist area. Hopefully talk with other travellers who know Mexico. If we are comfortable we get a daytime bus to Guerrero Negro, again a bus that stops directly by a hotel. We stay only 2 full days and by then we expect to know a great deal more than we do now. If at any stage including from arriving at SJD onwards we are not comfortable we head back to the airport and get the first plane out, and here's the important point (for us)...  at least we will have tried.

If it all goes swimmingly we will bus up to Tijuana to cross the border there, now that could really be a trip report...  The high probability is return to SJD and fly to LAX. We had intended to travel to and internally around by bus for all our Mexico journey, we had intended to visit the Mexican mainland too including a large city. Most of this we have now ruled out except the bus to GN. We consider the bus safer than renting a car and being alone on remote roads, we have listened to advice.

We are not brave, strong or stupid, but do see frequently that fear creates more fear. We could get unlucky, of course we could, but so can every single person who goes out of their front door each day.

Phew, found that difficult to write, sorry if it causes offence.

Great post Jamie, I used to do the exact same things,when I wore a younger mans Clothes.

Wonderful Adventure for sure!

1 hour ago, E60JPC said:

v v,

Are you still planning on taking the Copper Canyon Railway?

Sadly no we will not and hadn't considered it anyway as it starts/ends in one of the Mexico zones that have the very highest risk. I think someone on this thread suggested it but it was never in our potential plans.

7 hours ago, v v said:

Have decided to follow our original plans and travel to Baja California Mexico, but changing the where and how quite a lot and showing more caution. Here are the reasons...

It's a long story as to why we changed our minds a second time and decided to travel into a challenging Mexico, this is the short version! 

We read and re-read posts in this thread advising against travel to Mexico, we also researched other websites. Some close family don't think we should be in Mexico either, in particular at the moment with the Caravans. We took serious note of everything that was pointed out, all valued opinions, but we are very independent people and end up making our own decisions, right or wrong.

We weighed up everything we could read then used our own experience over 40 years of travelling. Decided it is a risk but to a lesser level than portrayed in the media, or frankly some of the understandable Government scaremongering. We have travelled in countries where our government didn't think it was a good idea to travel independently, we were advised only 2 years ago not to travel independently in Russia outside Moscow and St Petersburg, someone has got that piece of advice very wrong. We spent 2 months in an Arab country under martial law, the most welcoming country we have ever visited.

OK we may have got lucky in the past but we don't take deliberate chances, we are no longer agile enough to get out of the way of trouble.

Apparently the greatest risk in Baja is the northern half up to the border, we want to travel up to Guerrero Negro to whale watch extraordinaire, about half way up Baja. This is our considered plan.

Travel from SJD to La Paz. LP is less visited and we will get a feel of the place outside of an out and out tourist area. Hopefully talk with other travellers who know Mexico. If we are comfortable we get a daytime bus to Guerrero Negro, again a bus that stops directly by a hotel. We stay only 2 full days and by then we expect to know a great deal more than we do now. If at any stage including from arriving at SJD onwards we are not comfortable we head back to the airport and get the first plane out, and here's the important point (for us)...  at least we will have tried.

If it all goes swimmingly we will bus up to Tijuana to cross the border there, now that could really be a trip report...  The high probability is return to SJD and fly to LAX. We had intended to travel to and internally around by bus for all our Mexico journey, we had intended to visit the Mexican mainland too including a large city. Most of this we have now ruled out except the bus to GN. We consider the bus safer than renting a car and being alone on remote roads, we have listened to advice.

We are not brave, strong or stupid, but do see frequently that fear creates more fear. We could get unlucky, of course we could, but so can every single person who goes out of their front door each day.

Phew, found that difficult to write, sorry if it causes offence.

Sounds like a great trip and I really hope it goes well!