Boston South Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MainerTrainer

Train Attendant
We were in Boston South Station today and learned the Acela Club is closed for repairs due to a broken water pipe. Apparently the beautiful ceiling is OK but much else needs repair or replacement. We were so surprised we forgot to ask when the work would be completed.

The red caps are still there and theyll offer a bottle of water and a newspaper. The red cap we talke with said it should be very nice when its reopened.

There was word that when reopened, there would also be a name change and rebranding. That is all but confirmed now as the Club Acela signage has been replaced with Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge.

There was word that when reopened, there would also be a name change and rebranding. That is all but confirmed now as the Club Acela signage has been replaced with Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge.
Interesting. So is it possible that instead of repairing a water pipe, they were actually remodeling it or upgrading it or something like that?

it's been closed for about a month. Amtrak.com simply says "until further notice."
"Month", MY FOOT!!!! I first saw that sign in mid July when I was there! Or maybe it was my prior trip there back in March! I keep all my paper tickets saved as PDFs, so I know each time I was there.

Maybe your memory is slipping like mine. If I didn't have the info saved, I'd be thinking it was about a month, too! This getting old sucks!

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes sense.

You can longer be told that you can go to the Club Acela or the Metropolitan Lounge, but not the other. Did the passes you got from AGR at one time say Club Acela on them, and the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago did not allow their use?
default_huh.png

it's been closed for about a month. Amtrak.com simply says "until further notice."
"Month", MY FOOT!!!! I first saw that sign in mid July when I was there! Or maybe it was my prior trip there back in March! I keep all my paper tickets saved as PDFs, so I know each time I was there.

Maybe your memory is slipping like mine. If I didn't have the info saved, I'd be thinking it was about a month, too! This getting old sucks!
Look at the date the post was made....

Interesting. So is it possible that instead of repairing a water pipe, they were actually remodeling it or upgrading it or something like that?
There was a water pipe burst....not everything of a conspiracy or lie.
I was just in the Boston crew base a few weeks and it was just about destroyed.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

I believe that someone needs to calm down a bit.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Good catch...

Maybe it's time for some valium???

Complete renovation and damage from burst pipe are not mutually exclusive. If an area was pretty much ruined and was going to be closed for extensive repair, doing a complete reno is probably not much more time or cost. Water damage would likely mean almost everything was going to be replaced anyway, if any mold took hold, it is often better just to get rid of everything rather than trying to clean and restore.

Renovations were already in the pipeline. The burst pipe fast tracked those plans. Seems the goal is to try to have the new Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge ready for the Thanksgiving rush.
Do you expect that they're going to do the same thing in Philly, D.C, and NYP?

Renovations were already in the pipeline. The burst pipe fast tracked those plans. Seems the goal is to try to have the new Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge ready for the Thanksgiving rush.
I'll be in Beantown the weekend before Thanksgiving with the kids. I'll try to remember to report on that.

Good catch...

Maybe it's time for some valium???
I would think so, since this appears to be happening in more than one thread
default_help.gif
default_unsure.png

There was a discussion about it, I remember stopping off at the CA after I spent the day at MSG working at USA hockey coaching seminars (thank you to the NY Rangers for hosting) and they confirmed that it would close for a total reno, but had no details on exactly when or for how long....

Back