John Bredin

$2.1B plan aims to make all CTA stations accessible

http://digitaledition.chicagotribune.com/infinity/article_share.aspx?guid=1a50f198-c311-46e2-b71a-0f8f5a31ec42

The article mentions a station that'll be hairy to make accessible, Damen/North Blue Line, but I would love to see a plan for installing elevators at North/Clybourn Red Line. :blink: I have a hard time when I'm there even visualizing where the platforms are in relation to the station-house and the mezzanine-ish not-level (a few steps) corridors connecting the platforms to the station-house.

Glad to hear this seems to be a priority now. Thanks for posting.

North/Clybourn is just bizarre. I'm convinced it's actually a wormhole with an Apple store.

This "plan" is just odd since it seems to be no plan, at all, but just an expressed desire.

It is also going to be interesting to see how they manage to squeeze elevators into small footprint platforms, such as on the Red Line.

As for the Forest Park/Congress branch, sure they don't have elevators, which might be desirable. However, due to their long ramps, aren't they essentially ADA compliant and accessible, already?

I miss the old station house at North/Clyborn which I thought should have been preserved. I miss the pizza place on the corner that served New York slices even more.

The ramps might be too steep and there might not be enough clearance in the "station houses" for accessibility.

I see this as majorly aspirational - money is going to be hard to find (though they found it for the Belmont flyover).